Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How many marks was Question 3 worth? It's been cut off in the photos of the paper! :/
    Also how many marks was the Kc Question worth?

And for the weakest to strongest acids, you write it from the largest pKa Value to the smallest yes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ipcress)
    Just when you think you have the marks - you look at an OCR mark scheme. No scope for interpretation. Just look at January 11 F321 exam there was a halogen question which had a national average of 0.0 students getting the question right. Why because if you wrote halogens are toxic, 0 marks, must specify bromine is toxic. The people that write these papers are out of touch with the real world.
    Well... true. I remember in one paper they asked something like "What are the advantages of bio-ethanol?".
    It is a liquid. There is no other advantage. If you dared to propose one of the many other advantages, you are wrong.

But I have generally been happy with the Chemistry course and papers. It is tough, but (contrary to what everyone else seems to think) I always thought it was fair.

ReputationRep:
    OKay now looking at the paper. I think i should get 40 marks at least. Is there an unofficial/official markscheme yet?

Edit: Now that ive counted, i think i got 55/100. Anyone know the grade boundaries?

ReputationRep:
    how many marks was the born cycle worth just for labeling the energy levels ??? i never saw that question

ReputationRep:
    I have absolutely no motivation to revise for the resit (F324) whatsoever Why a I sat here watching House/Playing Football Manager?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LilacTweet)
    How many marks was Question 3 worth? It's been cut off in the photos of the paper! :/
    Also how many marks was the Kc Question worth?

And for the weakest to strongest acids, you write it from the largest pKa Value to the smallest yes?
    yes i aleast i got 3 marks

ReputationRep:
    why was no2 cooled and put under pressure? i said cooled beacecause endothermic more products and pressure increase to increase rate of reaction!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob16)
    I have absolutely no motivation to revise for the resit (F324) whatsoever Why a I sat here watching House/Playing Football Manager?
    dnt give up yet. try and work hard to make it up

ReputationRep:
    can douche bags stop talking **** about how the questions were this and that, when they give you a graph with a semi-constant half life, they give you complex ions polymers, and a buffer solution with only a pH with no indication of how to choose a damn acid... shut up, and suck a fat bay's D.i.c.k. lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bambinooo)
    why was no2 cooled and put under pressure? i said cooled beacecause endothermic more products and pressure increase to increase rate of reaction!
    I used le chatelier's principle. Cooled to favour exothermic (forward), low pressure to favour low moles if I recall correctly (forward).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bambinooo)
    Pressure also increases products as there were less moles of gas on the right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swagger_Buck)
    ok if you did so well go have a **** to celebrate...
    There is a direct correlation between the quality of posts made and how well people found the exam. With responses like that it is no shock to me that you can't handle an A level exam.

Peace out bro.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gids)
    dnt give up yet. try and work hard to make it up
    :/ It's hard to keep motivated when I already know I can't get what I need

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fallen)
    In one of the past papers (maybe Jan 2011?) there was that question on the hair straightening chemical. That was way harder than Magic Tang.

The polymer question was perfectly reasonable, they had basically drawn out the structure of 4,4-bipy for you (they gave you 2,2-bipy) and then you just need to add an ion with 4 water ligands attached. As an A (but not A*) student myself, I can say it was not overly challenging.

The Magic Tang question was tough. I missed the point of it and would be lucky to pick up more than a few marks. At the same time, though, if it was not in their how could they differentiate between me and the A* students? I am okay at chemistry, I will get an A, but I am definitely not talented enough for an A*. That question had to be in there otherwise plenty of people like me would have done, frankly, too well.
    All but 1 of the marks in that question was for using the same old formulae in a slightly intelligent manner (which I failed to do). Not beyond the scope of the course, just difficult.

And the long questions were a gift. You say "wordy", but they weren't wordy at all. They were long, but if you have written an essay for it then you completely missed the point.
    The last question, most of the marks were for calculation and ionic equations.
    The 7 marker was the only question with a significant 'wordy' content, which was 4 definitions and a few diagrams. Being given 4 marks for some definitions is an absolute gift, and they are not very long either.

It was a hard paper, sure. But it is A2 Chemistry (one of the hardest A-levels). What do you expect? It was hard for you, it was hard for me, it was hard for 99% of people. That is why you only need ~65% for an A.
    I agree with you, but you've said it in a way that makes you sound like an absolute toff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob16)
    :/ It's hard to keep motivated when I already know I can't get what I need
    yh not only you, try and get over it and get revising for f324 thats the way foward you never knoe u might have done better than you think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bullit)
    There is a direct correlation between the quality of posts made and how well people found the exam. With responses like that it is no shock to me that you can't handle an A level exam.

Peace out bro.
    There is a direct correlation between how up your own arse you clearly are and how well you think you did in the paper. Let people who found it hard discuss how hard they found it, and come to their own conclusions, and maybe if you stopped looking down your nose you might see something. peace out "bro"

ReputationRep:
    how many marks was the born cycle worth just for labeling the energy levels ??? i never saw that question
    CAN SOMEONE ANSWER ME PLSS. I FEEL LEFT OU NOW

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imperial maniac)
    I agree with you, but you've said it in a way that makes you sound like an absolute toff.
    In what way?
    I am definitely not a toff generally, although perhaps academically 'snobby'? I have little time for people who run around complaining the exam was 'impossible' when plenty of us found it fine. Difficult, but not by any means impossible.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know the grade boundaries for the Jan 2011 paper? That may give some idea about this one.

ReputationRep:
    what was the answer for the enthalpy of hydration for magnesium??

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 10, 2012
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.