Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by intellectual1)
    At a Chemistry student revision confernce last Dec, the examiners Mike and John said that in three years, the entire specification is assessed. So we're half way through the F325 papers, meaning alot of content has'nt been asessed yet.

Probably low boundaries since Stretch and Challenge questions are definately more concerned with application of knowledge and understanding. By all means do past papers, but the F324 and F325 exams are assessing understanding of concepts and applying knowledge. Memorise the textbook and think about the question in the context
    Ah ok.. yeah i mean understanding and practising is enough for a good grade like a high B or maybe a scrap e A but its the application that trips people up including me! I've definitely learnt from that mistake in january for F324. I assumed the paper would be as simple and straight forward as the past papers and the book itself but big shock. So im using the exam cafe cd right now which has stretch and challenge questions. Exam papers are never that simple.

How are you preparing for this exam, other than revising the content?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosi M)
    Ah ok.. yeah i mean understanding and practising is enough for a good grade like a high B or maybe a scrap e A but its the application that trips people up including me! I've definitely learnt from that mistake in january for F324. I assumed the paper would be as simple and straight forward as the past papers and the book itself but big shock. So im using the exam cafe cd right now which has stretch and challenge questions. Exam papers are never that simple.

Is it possible for you copy the questions on here please, cos I forgot to install the CD on my laptop

ReputationRep:
    does anyone else do papers backwards? it really works for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkiee)
    Hey, Someone who is good at redox, please i beg you explain it to me. I know the basic but never know anything apart from OILRIG. please help
    I'd like to help you but redox is a pretty large topic, is there something specific you need help with, or some examples?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, Someone who is good at redox, please i beg you explain it to me. I know the basic but never know anything apart from OILRIG. please help
    Oxidation is the loss of electrons, reduction is the gain of electrons. So if Fe3+ goes to Fe, it has gained 3 electrons, so it has beenr reduced.

A redox reaction is one where both oxidation and reduction occurs. An example could be

3Cu(2+) + 2Fe(3+) --> 3Fe(2+) + 2Cu(3+)

The Cu has been oxidised and the Fe has been reduced.

You might also be asked to construct redox reactions from two half equations. Let's say you have:
    Fe(3+) + 3e- --> Fe
    Cu --> Cu(2+) + 2e-

All you need to do is balance the electrons in both equations. The Fe equation has 3 electrons, and the Cu equation has 2 electrons. 3 and 2 are factors of 6, so multiply the Fe equation by 2, and the Cu equation by 3.
    2Fe(3+) + 6e- --> 2Fe
    3Cu --> 3Cu(2+) + 6e-

Then just add them together

2Fe(3+) + 6e- + 3Cu --> 2Fe + 3Cu(2+) + 6e-

Now, since there are 6 electrons on each side of the equation, they cancel out, and you're left with

2Fe(3+) + 3Cu --> 2Fe + 3Cu(2+)

Anything else on redox you're stuck on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vidja)
    Oxidation is the loss of electrons, reduction is the gain of electrons. So if Fe3+ goes to Fe, it has gained 3 electrons, so it has beenr reduced.

A redox reaction is one where both oxidation and reduction occurs. An example could be

3Cu(2+) + 2Fe(3+) --> 3Fe(2+) + 2Cu(3+)

The Cu has been oxidised and the Fe has been reduced.

You might also be asked to construct redox reactions from two half equations. Let's say you have:
    Fe(3+) + 3e- --> Fe
    Cu --> Cu(2+) + 2e-

All you need to do is balance the electrons in both equations. The Fe equation has 3 electrons, and the Cu equation has 2 electrons. 3 and 2 are factors of 6, so multiply the Fe equation by 2, and the Cu equation by 3.
    2Fe(3+) + 6e- --> 2Fe
    3Cu --> 3Cu(2+) + 6e-

Then just add them together

2Fe(3+) + 6e- + 3Cu --> 2Fe + 3Cu(2+) + 6e-

Now, since there are 6 electrons on each side of the equation, they cancel out, and you're left with

2Fe(3+) + 3Cu --> 2Fe + 3Cu(2+)

Anything else on redox you're stuck on?
    Thanks Man, You are a genuis this makes sense. since 2years of A level chemistry i never understoon it this way. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Anyone has Jan 2011 paper? Please ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosi M)

That book was written by the examiners, they highly recommended their textbook at a Chemistry conference last December :rolleyes: The Stretch and Challenge questions within them and Extension exercises are great for preparing for the A* Stretch and Challenge The teacher answer guide with it is well worth it, not sure if I should be posting it on here though...

F324 is only 1 hour and the final exam for most people...it won't be anything like the past papers much, also the examiners are VERY SPECIFIC with the curly arrows and mechanisms:eek:

ReputationRep:
    Which revision guide is worth getting do you think guys? Or would you say just reading the textbook again and again?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone has Jan 2011 paper? Please ?
    It was quite a tough paper, probably will have a similar paper this summer...
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf F325 January 2011 QP.pdf (202.6 KB, 96 views)
  2. File Type: pdf F325 January 2011 MS.pdf (312.0 KB, 126 views)

ReputationRep:
    Has everyone done the June 2010 paper?
    How did everyone find it?

ReputationRep:

That book was written by the examiners, they highly recommended their textbook at a Chemistry conference last December :rolleyes: The Stretch and Challenge questions within them and Extension exercises are great for preparing for the A* Stretch and Challenge The teacher answer guide with it is well worth it, not sure if I should be posting it on here though...

F324 is only 1 hour and the final exam for most people...it won't be anything like the past papers much, also the examiners are VERY SPECIFIC with the curly arrows and mechanisms:eek:

Have you got this text book? I have it but not the teacher answer guide...so I have no way to check my answers...any idea where I can get it? Have you got it yourself?

ReputationRep:
    Right. So anyone fancy explaining how you get the answer to this redox Q?

Using Oxidation states construct a redox equation to :
    Aqueous thiosulphate ions, S2O3 2-, are oxidised to sulphate(VI) ions, SO4 2-, by chlorine gas, which reduced to chloride ions.

The answer: S2O3 2- + 4CL2 + 5H2O -----------> 2SO4 2- + 8Cl- + 10H+

The 2 half equations might help if possible with explaining. I understand the electron balancing but not in this question :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by V.sey)
    Have you got this text book? I have it but not the teacher answer guide...so I have no way to check my answers...any idea where I can get it? Have you got it yourself?
    Yes, I find it to be far more effective than the Heinemann one. Simply so because there are answers to them. They could set any kind of questions, but the Extension material and Stretch and Challenge questions are supposedly similar to the expected questions in the exam...At the conference the examiners strongly recommended we buy their textbooks :P lol Although it must be said some questions in the AS book featured in the AS exams

http://www.mediafire.com/?1wd9uec8nc7sraf Enjoy Stretch and Challenge questions really are 'challenging'

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I find it to be far more effective than the Heinemann one. Simply so because there are answers to them. They could set any kind of questions, but the Extension material and Stretch and Challenge questions are supposedly similar to the expected questions in the exam...At the conference the examiners strongly recommended we buy their textbooks :P lol Although it must be said some questions in the AS book featured in the AS exams

http://www.mediafire.com/?1wd9uec8nc7sraf Enjoy Stretch and Challenge questions really are 'challenging'
    Have you got the student guide as well please? the one you showed the pic of? I would really like to practice these!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sportycricketer)
    Have you got the student guide as well please? the one you showed the pic of? I would really like to practice these!
    The Student Guide? :confused: I was recommended the PhilipAllan OCR books, and Student Unit Guides by a tutor, it is the book he uses. Only the Summary worksheets and AS and A2 TAG exist in pdf.

ReputationRep:

Brilliant! Thank you ever so much

ReputationRep:
    The Student Guide? :confused: I was recommended the PhilipAllan OCR books, and Student Unit Guides by a tutor, it is the book he uses. Only the Summary worksheets and AS and A2 TAG exist in pdf.
    Oh sorry, I meant the book you posted the pic of earlier. Is that available on pdf? And does that book also have the stretch and challenge questions?

ReputationRep:
    Try your local library- like I did!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by V.sey)
    Brilliant! Thank you ever so much
    Are you using pencil for your diagrams? Or should we draw our diagrams in pen? Did you know that examiners don't award marks for diagrams, especially the mechanisms unless it looks exactly like how it is in the textbook...a few friends lost marks because some of their diagrams did'nt get detected when the script was scanned. I got an A for my A2 Practical, so I'm certainly able to achieve the A*, although it is F324 that is going to make or break my A* grade.

Would highly advise you to attempt all the Past Questions, Trends and Patterns, Transition Elements and Unifying Concepts. The only difference between those old questions and the new is the deeper understanding, thinking and applying ones knowledge. The old papers were merely a matter of doing as many past questions and exam techniques. The new spec questions at A2 especially so are ones which are intentionally set to allow far less exam techniques, but more on application of knowledge. Calculations will be relatively straightforward marks, the Examiners Report cites how Calculations were generally very well done.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.