Turn on thread page Beta

So how to test herpes orally? watch

Announcements

I read that herpes are tested by swab culture of if you have like any pus on your genitals?

Well, I don't have any there, but I was wondering about if I did get herpes orally/throat how would i go about finding out if i have it? I think i started coughing around that time, but it might just because i walked in the rain for an hour and had a cough in january.

anyway, i hven't noticed any symtoms but how would you go about testing oral/throat stis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I read that herpes are tested by swab culture of if you have like any pus on your genitals?

Well, I don't have any there, but I was wondering about if I did get herpes orally/throat how would i go about finding out if i have it? I think i started coughing around that time, but it might just because i walked in the rain for an hour and had a cough in january.

anyway, i hven't noticed any symtoms but how would you go about testing oral/throat stis?
    Oral herpes is more commonly known as 'cold sores' and about 60% of UK teenagers and 90% of people aged 50+ are infected with it.

Oral herpes is usually caused by the virus hsv-1. This can be passed to a partner's genitals when performing oral sex, and hsv-1 also causes 73% of genital herpes infections among young people in the UK. Transmission is more likely when a cold sore is present, but it is also possible in between cold sores when no visible symptoms are present.

Once you have the oral herpes virus, hsv-1, you are very unlikely to catch the same virus genitally. So those most at risk of contracting genital herpes through receiving oral sex are those who are not infected with oral herpes.

Many people with oral herpes are not aware they have it - about 80% do not get symptoms (cold sores) but are still occasionally able to transmit the virus.

Oral herpes is not infectious all the time, only for a small fraction of the time, less than 10% of the time when no cold sore is present.

A cough is not a symptom of either oral or genital herpes.

An initial oral herpes infection may present with a fever and feeling unwell, and with sore throat and sores on the lips that start as small blisters before bursting.

TESTING FOR HERPES:

Herpes can be detected via a swab of an active lesion, but this is no good if you do not have visible lesions.

It is possible to detect antibodies for herpes if you have a herpes-specific blood test. These antibodies show up about 3-6 months after initial infection.

However, the blood test is NOT offered on the NHS and is only offered by a few private GPs and is normally horrendously expensive (into 3 figures) You can arrange to have a herpes blood test done through the HVA (Herpes Viruses Association - you can find them online) and have the blood collected at your local GP - but even then the cost is £50+.

The herpes blood test is generally not as accurate as it could be, depending on the type of test - false positives or negatives are not so uncommon - and given that a majority of adults have oral herpes and the test is expensive, testing wouldn't generally be recommended in the UK.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2011
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.