Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone

I have received offers from both Edinburgh and Manchester for their MSc Economics programmes and now I am torn between both.

Which one would you choose, if you were in my position, and why?

I am looking forward to your answers very much, you would help me a great deal!

Thanks,
    Luc

ReputationRep:
    I would say both are equally good departments and really nice cities to live in. Having lived in Edinburgh for four years I am a bit biased towards Edinburgh. I really like the idea of the Scottish Graduate Programme.

It would be the best for you to look at the syllabi and options available, and then base your choice on your interests.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester, better in economics and highly ranked overall as well.

ReputationRep:
    I would have to say I consider Manchester the better university...

ReputationRep:
    Now, the difference between both is very tiny....as George 85 says, Edinburgh is a very coold place for what I've heard, and UoE has a better brand name than Manchester and the idea of the SGPE is very interesting.
    As George 85 I would say that you have to check the syllabus and other things mora than just academics. What is your main goal post graduation? Industry or Phd?

(I have an offer too from the SGPE )
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Choose the one that offers the modules that interest you the most. Personally I'd pick Manchester as they have a much stronger econometrics group, and offer more modules in statistical inference and theoretical econometrics.

From what I've seen, the SGPE is pretty limited in terms of modules on offer, even for normal economic theory ones.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.