Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If so, would you recommend their trips?
    Do you meet people if you go on your own?
    Any other interesting info about them?

p.s. I was thinking of going to Australia/New Zealand

Thank you so much for any info :adore:

ReputationRep:
    BUMP!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 03shisac)

Can't say anything about Real Gap, but if you're planning to go to either Australia/New Zealand then I really wouldn't bother going with a company. Both countries are really well set up for independent travellers and you will meet loads of other people travelling on their own as well. Aus/NZ are English speaking countries with a good traveller network, loads of hostels etc etc. Seriously, just get a flight out there, book a few nights in a hostel and you'll be fine. If you were thinking of going out there to work, then just apply for the relevant Working Holiday Visa online, receive it within the week, done!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemini89)
    Can't say anything about Real Gap, but if you're planning to go to either Australia/New Zealand then I really wouldn't bother going with a company. Both countries are really well set up for independent travellers and you will meet loads of other people travelling on their own as well. Aus/NZ are English speaking countries with a good traveller network, loads of hostels etc etc. Seriously, just get a flight out there, book a few nights in a hostel and you'll be fine. If you were thinking of going out there to work, then just apply for the relevant Working Holiday Visa online, receive it within the week, done!
    True, I have heard that before. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    They're a freaking rip off, organise it yourself.

ReputationRep:
    I went on their "Peru Expedition" in October for two months. They were basically just a middle man to another middle man (if that makes any sense) For example, the partner organisation for my trip was a Danish company called Adventure Heart, but I actually travelled in Peru with a company called Happy Gringo. So although I had an amazing time and would completely recommend the trip, that's not essentially recommending Real Gap because all they did was book it!
    As for them being a rip off as said above, my trip was actually really good value for money when you look at other similar ones. All my food was paid for and it was invaluable having a knowledgeable guide with me, especially on my first trip on my own.
    I made friends for life with the Danish guys I travelled with, but we were in the same small group for 2 months so that was easy really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirstied)
    I went on their "Peru Expedition" in October for two months. They were basically just a middle man to another middle man (if that makes any sense) For example, the partner organisation for my trip was a Danish company called Adventure Heart, but I actually travelled in Peru with a company called Happy Gringo. So although I had an amazing time and would completely recommend the trip, that's not essentially recommending Real Gap because all they did was book it!
    As for them being a rip off as said above, my trip was actually really good value for money when you look at other similar ones. All my food was paid for and it was invaluable having a knowledgeable guide with me, especially on my first trip on my own.
    I made friends for life with the Danish guys I travelled with, but we were in the same small group for 2 months so that was easy really.
    WOW, sounds amazing. Thanks so much for responding with such detail.
    That's the thing, I'd be going on my own, half way across the world, so having it all organised and with a higher chance of meeting people is more of what I'm after.
    So, you found it okay when you first met people?

ReputationRep:
    No, because it would be the same as dropping a hold-all stuffed with £50 notes into a lake.

Do it yourself; these companies are morally unsound.

ReputationRep:
    Do it yourself! You can find all the relevant information you need on the internet. I'm out here right now on my own and I'm the biggest scardy cat ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twist.the.illusion)
    Do it yourself! You can find all the relevant information you need on the internet. I'm out here right now on my own and I'm the biggest scardy cat ever.
    So jealous! I miss my gap year! Where are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lesbionic)
    So jealous! I miss my gap year! Where are you?
    I'm flitting about between Australia and New Zealand for three months. I'm in Sydney right now and it's been good fun! Definitely worth doing if you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirstied)
    did was book it!
    As for them being a rip off as said above, my trip was actually really good value for money
    You see you've outlined something very important in this post. "Happy Gringo" employs local workers to create a adventure package for people such as yourself, which of course they will make a profit on. They will then offer this package to "Adventure Heart" who will again take a profit for doing nothing by then selling it on to "Real Gap" at a higher price, who coincidentally will also take a large profit by selling it on to you at an even higher price.

Great value :teehee: This is always the case with travel companies. I've met people in Thailand before on similar trips. The big western company A employs a smaller company B in Bangkok who will then employ even smaller local companies C in the different places you're travelling. What you could of done is just gone to this place and employed company C yourself thereby bypassing companies A & B & saving you their expenses in cost.

ReputationRep:
    I went with Real Gap to Aus for a year on a working holiday visa.
    They are a rip off for what they actually get you - TFN, Bank Account, Visa stuff etc... but they do offer a real piece of mind that everything will be sorted and that should something go wrong whilst you're over there, you have someone to call at all times for support.
    I probably wouldn't use them again tbh.

ReputationRep:
    honestly dont bother. you can even book tours and things from the hostels in australia if you want peace of mind (although that will still cost more than booking coaches/accomodation/activities seperately. find a nice hostel for when you arrive and plan from there - they will be really used to travellers asking them questions and will know all the info that you need.

i am sure you will find people to travel with from day one, everyone at hostels are usually really friendly. as for visa's, bank accounts etc, they are really easy to organise. make sure you get your visa before you leave (had a bit of trouble myself with this in singapore before my flight to oz) and bank accounts are much easier than in the UK (set mine up a couple of days ago and all i needed was a passport) basically just ask the people working at the hostel if you have any trouble they probably get asked these things all the time!!

i am travelling on my gap year at the moment - been in Australia for about 2 weeks and am loving it. am sure you will have fun either way, but one way you will end up spending half your money on a slightly higher sense of security happy travels!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for all the replies!
    Most likely shall organise it myself- and save some dollar!

Thanks for all the positivity about travelling as well- cannot wait! x

ReputationRep:
    Hi, can I just say that I travelled with Real Gap a couple of years ago and although going through a company like them does cost a little bit more it was really really great having people that knew the country and arranged your travel from area to area. Travelling alone for the first time is scary but you feel so much safer having someone from the organisation that you contact at all times.
    Also dont worry about going alone, you meet loads of other travellers often staying at the same hostels or travelling on the same trips, everyone is really friendly. Anyway, without trying to sound like a salesman if you are interested in travelling with them I can get you 5% discount so just send me an email x x x

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I had very good time in Vietnam last year with Real Gap ( Vietnam Experience_ 4 weeks ). Travelling with Real Gap is safer than you are alone. Coordinators will take care you for whole trip. It was amazing time in my life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hlynden)
    Hi, can I just say that I travelled with Real Gap a couple of years ago and although going through a company like them does cost a little bit more it was really really great having people that knew the country and arranged your travel from area to area. Travelling alone for the first time is scary but you feel so much safer having someone from the organisation that you contact at all times.
    Also dont worry about going alone, you meet loads of other travellers often staying at the same hostels or travelling on the same trips, everyone is really friendly. Anyway, without trying to sound like a salesman if you are interested in travelling with them I can get you 5% discount so just send me an email x x x
    Ooo wow, thank you.
    Still considering my options about what to do at the moment- very generous offer though- merci

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twist.the.illusion)
    I'm flitting about between Australia and New Zealand for three months. I'm in Sydney right now and it's been good fun! Definitely worth doing if you can.
    how is it, if you dont mind me asking. i am thinking fo going to new zealand in a year or so..just looking to get information at the moment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 03shisac)

Why the **** would anyone want to go on a package holiday gap year? YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO GO AND FREEROAM! LIVE THE LIFE OF THE LOCALS. TEACH LITTLE KIDS ENGLISH. START A REVOLUTION IN A CORRUPT COUNTRY. VISIT THINGS YOU'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO!

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.