Turn on thread page Beta

How do I get rid of OpenDNS search? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    OK, I've downloaded Firefox 4 and I do want to use it. Mainly because it's so similar to Chrome but it doesn't have the issues I'm getting with Chrome (for example, flash player is always crashing on Chrome..)

But, I'm use to being able to do a google search using the address bar without having to use any toolbar search box or going to google first. Now at home, on firefox I can do that. I can do a google search straight from the address bar (or awesome bar as they're now calling it :rolleyes: )

What is really getting to me right now is the ****ing openDNS search page everytime I tried to do a google search via the address bar using the internet in my uni halls. It's making me want to smash my laptop, run outside naked tearing my hair out before chucking myself in front of a bus. :mad2:
    I'm just a teensy bit irritated by it.

I've changed everything I can think of on the about:config page and googled what I can do, done that and it's still not getting rid of it.

How do I get rid of it?

I suppose I need to clarify this. Thanks to what I've done on the about:config page if I now type 2 or more words in the address bar then it will do a google search. However, if I type one word then it goes to the openDNS search page ( http://guide.opendns.com ) and it's frying my head.

ReputationRep:
    Your problem is that your uni uses OpenDNS as a DNS server (this is a list of web addresses and their corresponding IP addresses). The only way around this would be to change your DNS server to something else such as the DNS server of your ISP at home. Open up the network connections page, right click your connection then go to properties. Click TCP/IP and click properties. Then click on enter DNS server manually and type in the IP of your DNS server.

You'd need to know another DNS server IP thought, I don't know one off of the top of my head :/ I'm not even sure if this will work - ISP DNS servers might be restricted to people using that ISP.

Google offers free DNS services to anyone.

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hravan)
    OK, I've downloaded Firefox 4 and I do want to use it. Mainly because it's so similar to Chrome but it doesn't have the issues I'm getting with Chrome (for example, flash player is always crashing on Chrome..)

But, I'm use to being able to do a google search using the address bar without having to use any toolbar search box or going to google first. Now at home, on firefox I can do that. I can do a google search straight from the address bar (or awesome bar as they're now calling it :rolleyes: )

What is really getting to me right now is the ****ing openDNS search page everytime I tried to do a google search via the address bar using the internet in my uni halls. It's making me want to smash my laptop, run outside naked tearing my hair out before chucking myself in front of a bus. :mad2:
    I'm just a teensy bit irritated by it.

I've changed everything I can think of on the about:config page and googled what I can do, done that and it's still not getting rid of it.

How do I get rid of it?

I suppose I need to clarify this. Thanks to what I've done on the about:config page if I now type 2 or more words in the address bar then it will do a google search. However, if I type one word then it goes to the openDNS search page ( http://guide.opendns.com ) and it's frying my head.
    Try this http://www.labnol.org/software/brows...s-bar-ie/2662/

ReputationRep:
    You do realise the Google search box is about 3mm to the right of the address bar right? You don't need a toolbar, it's just there in firefox.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tface)
    You do realise the Google search box is about 3mm to the right of the address bar right? You don't need a toolbar, it's just there in firefox.
    I don't have that on my firefox. It looks messy and annoys me.

(Original post by FXX)
    Google offers free DNS services to anyone.

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/
    That link is just redirecting me to google homepage. (Yes, I've tried searching for it as well and everytime I try to open it, it just goes straight to google...)

But I don't think I could use it anyway as it's my university's network that I'm on which is using openDNS

Thanks but I've already tried that and it doesn't work.

That link is just redirecting me to google homepage. (Yes, I've tried searching for it as well and everytime I try to open it, it just goes straight to google...)

But I don't think I could use it anyway as it's my university's network that I'm on which is using openDNS
    Sounds like your university is blocking other public DNS services then. Very crafty.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have that on my firefox. It looks messy and annoys me.

Thanks but I've already tried that and it doesn't work.
    Go to the properties of your network connection, click on TCPIP IPV4 and hit properties, for the primary DNS enter 8.8.8.8 and for the secondary enter 8.8.4.4

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 26, 2011
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.