Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello! Just needed a little help/advice- I've got unconditional offers from Durham and Bristol to study psychology and I don't know how to choose...

Bristol is much better in the league tables and has a better teaching/research rating but having been to both I loved the collegiate system of Durham and the college I've been allocated to... I don't know what to do?!! Help?!

Thanks guys!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Go with where you'll enjoy. League tables fluctuate and Durham may overtake Bristol by the end of your degree.

ReputationRep:
    Which college was that? I'm trying to choose between Cardiff and Durham for psychology. I also love the collegiate system, but Cardiff has a year in a work placement. Decisions decisions!

ReputationRep:
    Durham's not that great a city. Well, its pretty (if you avoid the bus station area), but there's not much to do.

According to what people say on here bristol has got a much better department, but then again, if your taking a job which isn't psychology-related, employers might see 'durham' and think its better.

Did you get accepted at the college inside the castle? Living inside a castle for three years might > bristol though

ReputationRep:
    Bristol; that's a definite.

ReputationRep:
    If you prefer Durham and you think you be happiest there then pick it the difference between them isn't huge so neither is a "bad" decision

If you do pick Bristol Pm me as it's my firm for Psychology!

ReputationRep:
    Been accepted at St. Aiden's- it's not in the centre but the open day there was pretty darn cool! It has the best views of Durham. Job wise I don't want to actually be a psychologist/further study etc but I want to do something that will be respected.

Yeah that's a good point about having the name of 'Durham' though....and about the league tables fluctuating- thank you

The thing one of the Durham tutors said to me was that Durham gets pulled down in the tables because the Queen's campus course for applied psychology gets incorporated into the grading system. So it pulls down Durham if you get what I mean, not sure by how much.

The city itself is indeed small but I liked the fact that you can get to Newcastle in 10 minutes by train for £3.50 with a student railcard!

I guess the thing is I just prefer the feel of Durham and the collegiate thing but can't quite bring myself to turn down Bristol!

The Cardiff course sounds cool- what sort of work placement do you get?

Thank you all so much for your help

ReputationRep:
    if your applying for something competitive after graduating, bristol (may) be better.
    And yeh, the last trains back from newcastle are at 9/10 ish though... so its difficult if you want to stay out late.

Train station is easy to get to- uphill though :P 20 minute walk from the uni buildings i'd guess.

Durham's got about 5/6 clubs if you care... so its okay going out. I think my neighbour works at St adains, not in the psych faculty though...

feel free to ask if u have any questions about the cityy!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Kitkat357)
    Been accepted at St. Aiden's- it's not in the centre but the open day there was pretty darn cool! It has the best views of Durham. Job wise I don't want to actually be a psychologist/further study etc but I want to do something that will be respected.

Yeah that's a good point about having the name of 'Durham' though....and about the league tables fluctuating- thank you

The thing one of the Durham tutors said to me was that Durham gets pulled down in the tables because the Queen's campus course for applied psychology gets incorporated into the grading system. So it pulls down Durham if you get what I mean, not sure by how much.

The city itself is indeed small but I liked the fact that you can get to Newcastle in 10 minutes by train for £3.50 with a student railcard!

I guess the thing is I just prefer the feel of Durham and the collegiate thing but can't quite bring myself to turn down Bristol!

The Cardiff course sounds cool- what sort of work placement do you get?

Thank you all so much for your help
    On a slightly unrelated note, did you get to visit the psych department? Thoughts?

Also holding an offer for psych at St.Cuths, still trying to decide between there and UCL but haven't been able to visit Durham.

ReputationRep:
    What was your offer for psychology at Bristol?

ReputationRep:
    I have been looking at Universities for Psych aswell. I'm settling as Bath for my first choice and Durham as my second. Durham is a great university and one of my friend's went there and now he is a great psychologist earning alot.
    I'm choosing Bath because it offers a placement year which is great becuase to get jobs you need work experience and can also get offerd job while on the placement.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.