Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ahmad Shah Durrani.

The great general/warrior/poet/emperor and legend of Afghanistan.

Founder of the modern state of Afghanistan, he disintegrated the Afsharid Persian empire and destroyed the Mughals and Marathas many times.
    Such a charismatic leader, he united the tribes of Afghanistan, something that has rarely been done in history and made the Afghans independent of all and feared by all. He was a great general and tactitian and was very loyal.

Sadly his empire went downhill soon after he died but his legend lives on in every Afghan.

By blood, we are immersed in love of you.
    The youth lose their heads for your sake. I come to you and my heart finds rest.
    Away from you, grief clings to my heart like a snake. I forget the throne of Delhi
    when I remember the mountain tops of my Afghan land.
    If I must choose between the world and you,
    I shall not hesitate to claim your barren deserts as my own".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    Although he was a racist, and considered black people beneath him, referred to them as kaffirs, and didn't consider Hitler a bad man.

In his own memoirs, no less.
    Seriously? That seems notoriously out of character... I don't understand how that's quite possible for the man who said 'I believe in equality for everyone, except reporters and photographers' But I have looked it up and you are quite correct. The one quibble I find with the Hitler quote is that I think he said that before the world widely knew about the Holocaust. I believe he was referring to his military strategies. It's quite alarming that someone so peaceful and concerned with civil liberties could be so racist. That certainly takes him down a few pegs on my list - however, that is not to say that what he actually achieved and the other things he said are not admirable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaMusiqueEstMaVie)
    Seriously? That seems notoriously out of character... I don't understand how that's quite possible for the man who said 'I believe in equality for everyone, except reporters and photographers' But I have looked it up and you are quite correct. The one quibble I find with the Hitler quote is that I think he said that before the world widely knew about the Holocaust. I believe he was referring to his military strategies. It's quite alarming that someone so peaceful and concerned with civil liberties could be so racist. That certainly takes him down a few pegs on my list - however, that is not to say that what he actually achieved and the other things he said are not admirable.
    I'm fairly sure he wrote an article for some colonial newspaper lauding Hitler for his intervention in Spain, as well.

ReputationRep:
    John Lennon, Bob Dylan, David Bowie. I can't pick just one :no:

ReputationRep:
    Ernesto Che Guevara or Fidel Castro, Otherwise Dora the Explorer as she was the youngest spaniard to ever travel all around the world.

ReputationRep:
    Monty Halls (especally his new life styles)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cochrane)
    I'm fairly sure he wrote an article for some colonial newspaper lauding Hitler for his intervention in Spain, as well.
    Dear oh dear. Why is it everytime I find someone to admire I find out something bad about them... Makes me laugh. Gandhi hated blacks and yet MLK was inspired by him! He obviously didn't know that fact!

ReputationRep:
    my grandparents :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Oskar Schindler and the Dalai Lama, truly great men.

ReputationRep:
    justin. such a good singer

ReputationRep:
    Aung San Suu Kyi?

ReputationRep:
    Helena Bonham Carter

Quite simply because she is about as true to herself as you can be. <3

ReputationRep:
    Julius Caesar.... nuff said.

EDIT: What's with the neg! Who wouldn't wanna be THE Julius Caesar. I for one would have invaded Britain earlier :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Simo Häyhä.

Nicknamed the White Death by the Soviets.
    He was a Finnish sniper who fought during the winter war against the Soviets.
    He has FIVE HUNDRED AND FIVE confirmed sniper kills and over two hundred more with a smg.
    The Soviets dedicated entire battalions and artillery strikes to hunting him down.
    Finally after four months Simo was felled by an exploding bullet to the head. He fell into a coma and regained consciousness the day peace was declared, at which point Field Marshal Mannerheim instantly promoted him from Corporal to Second Lieutenant.
    What a legend!!!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus Justin Bieber cause of his good looks and i so totally wanna look like him when i grow up.
    And Miley Cyrus cause she's a skank like me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by We love gays :))
    Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus Justin Bieber cause of his good looks and i so totally wanna look like him when i grow up.
    And Miley Cyrus cause she's a skank like me
    Come again? :eyeball:

ReputationRep:

Gotta love JP.

ReputationRep:
    Micheal Sheen
    Sorry I should elaborate, Just because of his outgoing style and that he doesnt care what people think. Im not saying hes the prefect idol but in todays society you get very few people who do not care what others say about them or let it affect their actions and the things they do in life.

ReputationRep:
    Otto Von Bismark

1st Chancellor of the German Empire from 1871–1890. His 'iron fist' politics led to the unification of Germany.

He's not exactly my idol but I'm intrigued by his guile in precipitating the Franco-Prussian war.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I have an idol as such yet but I admire Gautama Buddha.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.