Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It's a while away and I've begun thinking about what universities I like and what ones are interesting to me.I know if I work hard I could hopefully get in.But I'm really worried I wont meet anyone to be friends with(people might be *****y have their own cliques etc..) and that I may be not smart enough.I get so stressed about doing well and end up failing.I would love to go to uni and experience all that it has to offer and hopefully get a better job at the end of it all,not to mention new friends but I really have a lot of worries.

Anyone help?

ReputationRep:
    Every one feels that way before uni. You just have to take the plunge as no one can tell you if you'll have a good time or not.

But you will have a good time don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    If you spend the first year in Halls, you're guaranteed to make friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobius323)
    I suppose thats true,I have friends in uni and they say it does help.But halls where I want to go are so expensive! The cheaper ones are really run down.

ReputationRep:
    What you have to remember with uni is that everyone will be in the same position as you. It's not like moving to a new school where everyone will have already formed their own friend groups, or people know each other from the local area... you'll be lucky to know even a couple of people going to the same university as you, and even then they unlikely to be doing the same course as you, staying in the same accomadation etc. As long as you're reasonably social, you shouldn't really have any problem.

I'm sure everyone feels like this at some point, but the one thing you have to remember is every single person will be in the same situation. I'm sure you'll make friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OddThings)
    I suppose thats true,I have friends in uni and they say it does help.But halls where I want to go are so expensive! The cheaper ones are really run down.
    Where are you looking to go?

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, that's clearly not true. You're not guaranteed to make friends anywhere.

I don't have any friends in halls, and while I get on with quite a few people on my course, all of my actual friends are from the society I'm in.

You most likely will make friends though OP; there are lots of places you can meet people, in your halls, on your course, by joining a society etc. There are so many people it is hugely unlikely you won't find people you get on with.

Everyone gets scared when they're facing going to uni though; it's a huge leap into essentially the unknown. I started uni this year at 22, and still spent the first week or two feeling utterly overwhelmed before I finally settled in and started having a great time. Uni is scary, but it's a lot of fun too!

ReputationRep:
    I have quite an immature mind and am not confident in making friends. I'm really scared of the type of people on my course and I'm scared that if I grow up I'm going to stop liking my course (Primary Education)

ReputationRep:
    I think lots of people are feeling like this atm!
    It's gonna be a totally new experience, especially if you live in halls but it's worth it if you want a degree.

I'm a bit apprehensive about uni too but you'll be fine - everyone makes friends in some way or another. Improve your self-confidence, I'm sure you are clever :P

ReputationRep:
    Where are you looking to go?
    Aberdeen University.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukas1051)
    What you have to remember with uni is that everyone will be in the same position as you.

This! Most people have these same thoughts at some point, you just have to go for it and talk to people, otherwise no one would ever have any friends
    Plus theres loads of other ways of meeting people at uni rather than just in halls, like on your course or societies and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be silly! cors, everyone feels that way, but come on, how possible is it that nobody will ever speak to you at uni?

ReputationRep:
    IME societies are the best place to make mates, as they bring together like minded people. But you'll be fine, so long as you don't psych yourself out and hide in your room. EDIT: Also, societies tend to have lovely committees who love meeting new people and helping them find their feet at the society. It's what the committee's there for

Uni is fun, so long as you experience all the bits and don't hide away (which is where all the "I don't have friends" threads come from - people not actually getting out there and trying, mostly)

Good luck and I'm sure you'll love it!

ReputationRep:
    I was so scared before I went to uni. I decided that I didn't want to go, and even thought up of another career path (which basically convinced me that I'd love shelf stacking forever) that I decided I really really really wanted to do.. but then I went because I didn't want to disappoint my parents, and I just had the best year ever living in halls! Was awesome =)

ReputationRep:
    Stay in halls and join one society (at least)

it's exactly the same for all the other starters as already mentioned.
    that's the key thing that creates "the student experience"... you'll be living among people mostly of exactly your age who're all moving away from home for the first time, at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    People are extra nice at the start of uni. Sickeningly nice in fact, you'll start wanting to find a genuine ar**hole to hang out with to neutralise things.

Also, don't take TSR as an accurate reflection of the social tribulations of starting uni. The reality is, pretty much everyone does make friends, this site just attracts a lot of those who dont. You'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    Aberdeen University.
    Halls - all of them - in Aberdeen are fine. Trust me - I did a year in the cheapest and survived it. Aberdeen's lovely as well - I felt exactly the same way as you're describing - within a month had a good circle of friends you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisydaffodil)
    Halls - all of them - in Aberdeen are fine. Trust me - I did a year in the cheapest and survived it. Aberdeen's lovely as well - I felt exactly the same way as you're describing - within a month had a good circle of friends you'll be fine
    Thanks I have a crappy friend situation at the moment,and its really annoying me.I cant be myself around them y'know? And they all exclude some of us.

I think I'll have to go for cheapest,thats hillhead right? I do hope I get some decent friends at last.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I have a crappy friend situation at the moment,and its really annoying me.I cant be myself around them y'know? And they all exclude some of us.

I think I'll have to go for cheapest,thats hillhead right? I do hope I get some decent friends at last.
    Yeah - I went to uni in a very similar situation friendswise. It proved to be a good thing as I realised very quickly that I was in the sort of friendship I didn't need - once I met other people I realised that, and kind of drifted apart from school friends. Shame looking back as it would have been nice to sort things out but then it was a good thing too.

Yeah that'd be Hillhead - there's a lot of different options up there though (reccomend either South House or North Court). Money wise it's not too bad. Plus you have the convenience of the shop/bakery/pub/takeway on your doorstep.

There's that much to do that I can almost guarantee you won't feel too left out - you just have to throw yourself into things. Loads of societies, sports stuff, charity stuff. Plus at Hillhead (at least for now) they are doing more social stuff than previous - e.g. dvd nights etc.

Believe me, I went to uni feeling very shy and unconfident and I did walk around at first with noone to talk to - you have to kind of force yourself to chat to anyone and everyone, e.g. people sitting next to you in class, your flatmates, people waiting at the bus stop with you!! It does fall into place eventually, as someone said already there's that many people that you are bound to find someone you click with.

Good luck, hope it goes well! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisydaffodil)
    Yeah - I went to uni in a very similar situation friendswise. It proved to be a good thing as I realised very quickly that I was in the sort of friendship I didn't need - once I met other people I realised that, and kind of drifted apart from school friends. Shame looking back as it would have been nice to sort things out but then it was a good thing too.

Yeah that'd be Hillhead - there's a lot of different options up there though (reccomend either South House or North Court). Money wise it's not too bad. Plus you have the convenience of the shop/bakery/pub/takeway on your doorstep.

There's that much to do that I can almost guarantee you won't feel too left out - you just have to throw yourself into things. Loads of societies, sports stuff, charity stuff. Plus at Hillhead (at least for now) they are doing more social stuff than previous - e.g. dvd nights etc.

Believe me, I went to uni feeling very shy and unconfident and I did walk around at first with noone to talk to - you have to kind of force yourself to chat to anyone and everyone, e.g. people sitting next to you in class, your flatmates, people waiting at the bus stop with you!! It does fall into place eventually, as someone said already there's that many people that you are bound to find someone you click with.

Good luck, hope it goes well! x
    Thanks for all the advice,its been brilliant As I said,uni is another year away but I'm worried already as I have trouble with making friends sometimes. I really like the look of aberdeen though

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.