Do I need to study Further Maths AS level to do a maths degree at a good uni? Watch

H.C. Chinaski
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by joshgoldman)
For Economics? I find it hard to believe that as I've spoken to them many times about this.
I find it hard to believe that you have spoken to them many times about this ....
tiny hobbit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by H.C. Chinaski)
I find it hard to believe that you have spoken to them many times about this ....
It is not necesary to speak to them at all, just look on their website:

"Candidates who offer Further Maths are expected to offer a minimum of 4 subjects (to include Maths) at A2 level. "

This is for Economics at Warwick.

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/unde...economics/l100
chaz1992
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by alexs2602)
You're saying you should take sociology instead of FM for Medicine or Dentistry? Personally I'd probably say neither would be ideal.
Neither are ideal, but you don't wan to be wasting your time taking Further Maths when you're doing Medicine or Dntistry as it's only considered as an AS Level whereas Sociology (no matter how unsuitable it seems) is counted as a full A2 by medical schools.
mjtriggs
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Dobby)
Hello there O_o Just joined (:

So I'm in Y11, already have an A* in Maths GCSE and now I'm doing Additional Maths too. I'm still unsure what I want to study at university - though I know I definitely want to go. At my school sixth form you can only take 4 subjects max for AS level, and I've already picked out four: Maths, English (combined), Philosophy & Sociology.

However, I was googling it and apparently all the top universities like Cambridge, UCL, Imperial etc have Further Maths at AS level as essential for entry - and without sounding too conceited or anything ^_^ I know I'm smart enough to go to the best uni's if I wanted to so I'd hate to be held back from doing so by not choosing FM, you know?

At the same time though, I'm not sure I do want to study Maths; I'm also really interested in English Lit, as well as Philosophy, though I haven't actually studied that yet so I can't be sure but it sounds really interesting.

So, my questions then:

a) Could I study FM AS in my second year if I decided I did want to do Maths at uni at my sixth form?
b) At another college? There are a few decent ones nearby who offer the course, but I'm not sure they'd let me do just the one subject in my second year, or would they?
c) If I chose to drop Sociology and do FM instead, does that limit my options if I chose to do another subject altogether?

I just don't know really, but I have to decide pretty soon so =S Help? (:
Not taking FM to A2 will put you at a serious disadvantage if applying to any of the "top" universities. You've said Oxbridge/UCL/Imperial is what you're aiming for - I highly doubt they'll accept you, even with FM as an AS.

I know people who have taking FM AS in Upper Sixth, so its practical, but I would advise taking it instead of sociology.
Kareir
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by im so academic)
No, Further Maths will serve you better than Sociology ever could. You could even do a Law degree with full science A-levels.

The only university courses you are really barred from are courses such as Medicine and Chemistry (for obvious reasons), so dropping Sociology for Further Maths would not make a difference.

Hence, drop Sociology and take up Further Maths.
This. Very Much This.
alexs2602
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by chaz1992)
Neither are ideal, but you don't wan to be wasting your time taking Further Maths when you're doing Medicine or Dntistry as it's only considered as an AS Level whereas Sociology (no matter how unsuitable it seems) is counted as a full A2 by medical schools.
He doesnt seem interested in medicine or dentistry so FM seems best or if he decided to do Eng or Philosophy; History.
Bubbles2010
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would advise you to drop sociology and do FM. Most "top" unis (cambridge, ucl, warick) will require it to at least AS, and most applicants will have it to A2.
However, my friend who only did A level maths has got into Nottingham, Birmingham and Sheffield;
But overall, FM will generally be more highly regarded
Bubbles2010
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by chaz1992)
Not really.
Further maths is counted as a "proper" A level, whereas sociology (according to birmingham's website), isnt classed as academic enough, so if a candidate is doing bio, chem, maths and sociology, they see it as only doing 3 a levels, instead of 4
Sternumator
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You should be allowed to do FM to AS level next a lot of people at my college do, in fact I am doing the full A level in my secong year but it does depend on your college. I would say fm is out of all the subjects the one people regrett not taking the most. Luckily for me I got away with just having that I will be doing AS further maths on my UCAS and got a good place for economics. However, for maths I would imagine fm is a must, if it is offered by your school. I am not sure what your grades are like but there will probably be plenty of kids with equal or better grades who take fm, these will get the places. I got rejected from UCL for not having A2 fm, for economics.

I think it is worth looking into what units you would take if you were allowed to take AS further maths. There is a huge difference in how much of of a substitute is is depending on the modules. If you do a comination of FP1,2,3,4 then you might be alright, this is what is done at my college. Whereas if you do FP1 D1 D2 I can't see it helping you for a maths degree.

As other people have said take further maths. A lot of people much prefer A level maths to gcse and you might be the same.
MrStick
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
TL;DR, but No. A level Maths is enough. My friend just did A level Maths and is doing a Maths degree. Further Maths will be beneficial though. If you can take it then do so.
samconly
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by alexs2602)
At any rate a strong skill in mathematics is a highly desirable trait for economics applicants I believe due to the quantitative nature at university.

You're saying you should take sociology instead of FM for Medicine or Dentistry? Personally I'd probably say neither would be ideal.
Personally I think your a ****
Last edited by DFranklin; 7 years ago
H.C. Chinaski
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tiny hobbit)
It is not necesary to speak to them at all, just look on their website:

"Candidates who offer Further Maths are expected to offer a minimum of 4 subjects (to include Maths) at A2 level. "

This is for Economics at Warwick.

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/unde...economics/l100
How strange that you have seemingly replied to me?
I have no idea why you felt the need to quote me before posting the link ... I made no comment on whether or not I thought the validity of the comment involving maths was true or otherwise...
chaz1992
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bubbles2010)
Not really.
Further maths is counted as a "proper" A level, whereas sociology (according to birmingham's website), isnt classed as academic enough, so if a candidate is doing bio, chem, maths and sociology, they see it as only doing 3 a levels, instead of 4
:confused: Then I guess it depends on what uni you apply to.

This is the statement issued by King's for medicine:

Chemistry and Biology must both be studied, at least one to A level. Further Maths is not acceptable beyond AS level.

http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun...n=1038423#ER-A

Liverpool:

Only one of Maths or Further Maths will be considered

http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun...n=1041715#ER-A

UCL:

Mathematics and Further Mathematics will not both be counted towards the three A-Level subjects required

http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun...n=1061986#ER-A

etc.etc.
anshul95
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Dobby)

So I'm in Y11, already have an A* in Maths GCSE and now I'm doing Additional Maths too. I'm still unsure what I want to study at university - though I know I definitely want to go. At my school sixth form you can only take 4 subjects max for AS level, and I've already picked out four: Maths, English (combined), Philosophy & Sociology.

However, I was googling it and apparently all the top universities like Cambridge, UCL, Imperial etc have Further Maths at AS level as essential for entry - and without sounding too conceited or anything ^_^ I know I'm smart enough to go to the best uni's if I wanted to so I'd hate to be held back from doing so by not choosing FM, you know?

At the same time though, I'm not sure I do want to study Maths; I'm also really interested in English Lit, as well as Philosophy, though I haven't actually studied that yet so I can't be sure but it sounds really interesting.

So, my questions then:

a) Could I study FM AS in my second year if I decided I did want to do Maths at uni at my sixth form?
b) At another college? There are a few decent ones nearby who offer the course, but I'm not sure they'd let me do just the one subject in my second year, or would they?
c) If I chose to drop Sociology and do FM instead, does that limit my options if I chose to do another subject altogether?

If you like philosphy, have you considered doing maths+philosphy? Someone I knew last year got into Warwick doing only AS further maths. I don't know if they would still offer places now if you did the same.
Nomolos
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by twelve)
No for Maths. Thats what this topic is about isn't it?
Try reading the entire sentence.. "However, some universities such as Warwick only accept Further Maths as a fourth A level (this may not be the case for a straight maths course, however, it is for economics)"
alibee
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I had this issue when I was at school taking A Levels. While I was very interested in Maths, I didn't take FM as I wasn't applying for a maths degree and the universities I was applying for wouldn't take it into account at all. I ended up taking RS instead. If you can take it as an extra then that's fine but there's no way my school would have allowed this.

It's very hard. You'll struggle to get on a maths course without it but similarly will find it hard to get on a non-maths course with it. I guess an AS would be a reasonable compromise although if the course you're applying for needs XXXx then maybe they won't accept it even as the AS result. Is there someone at your school you can seek advice from on this?

While clearly it isn't ideal, I have received 4 offers to study maths and I'm off to Southampton this October without FM.
Hoody93
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Dobby)

So, my questions then:

There is are no two ways about it, you will NEVER get into any of the top unis for maths, without further.
matt2k8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you are even thinking about doing maths at uni you should be aiming to do the full A2. Dropping sociology won't harm your options at all
Last edited by matt2k8; 7 years ago
Intriguing Alias
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Dobby)

So, my questions then:

a) Yes but it might hold you back a little in comparison to doing it the first year. This is because if you do it the first year Unis can see how good you are at it when giving your offer.

b) You'll have to ask them

c) Sure it might but it obviously opens the door of maths at top tier unis which is, in my opinion, better than any degree Sociology is going to lead you to.

If you have a passion for maths believe me you won't regret further - it's so much fun.

Also - is there no way to request 5 subjects in a special case? It seems silly you can only do 4 - I do 5 (3 Sciences and both maths) and it's not like I go to a particularly high achieving school, a bit above average but that's it.

And yeah you can get into doing a maths degree but if you're clever&hard-working enough to go to Cambridge why let doing Sociology hold you back? It's worth doing you won't regret it believe me. I started it with the full intention of dropping the subject but now I've almost changed my life plan and am maybe going to be doing maths instead of medicine.
Last edited by Intriguing Alias; 7 years ago
almxo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
you don't need it, I got an offer for Chemistry at UCL, I don't even have A Level maths
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (463)
91.68%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (42)
8.32%

Watched Threads