Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Its definitely worth you doing Further Maths, and I would concur with others in saying you should replace sociology. AS Maths is basically additional with a few extra bits chucked in (we weren't even taught the first third of the course for this reason) so I doubt the workload would be much more increased. If you want to do a maths degree, Further Maths is definitely the best choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by almxo)
    you don't need it, I got an offer for Chemistry at UCL, I don't even have A Level maths
    You may be good at chemistry but you obviously don't know much about maths degrees which is what this thread is about. He does need it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexs2602)
    You may be good at chemistry but you obviously don't know much about maths degrees which is what this thread is about. He does need it.
    well said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anshul95)
    well said.
    alright chill out let's not take internet lives too seriously dear

ReputationRep:
    chill out!

ReputationRep:
    oh and if you need it so bad, why has a guy in my sixth form got offers from Oxford and Surrey to do maths without it? bit awkward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by almxo)
    oh and if you need it so bad, why has a guy in my sixth form got offers from Oxford and Surrey to do maths without it? bit awkward.
    Well first off Surrey is crap in comparison to COWIB(it's like idk 20th which is still good but no top 5 maths uni) and secondly Oxford has always been weird imo; they don't ask for A*s, they don't do STEP but do the MAT instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dobby)
    Hello there O_o Just joined (:

So I'm in Y11, already have an A* in Maths GCSE and now I'm doing Additional Maths too. I'm still unsure what I want to study at university - though I know I definitely want to go. At my school sixth form you can only take 4 subjects max for AS level, and I've already picked out four: Maths, English (combined), Philosophy & Sociology.

However, I was googling it and apparently all the top universities like Cambridge, UCL, Imperial etc have Further Maths at AS level as essential for entry - and without sounding too conceited or anything ^_^ I know I'm smart enough to go to the best uni's if I wanted to so I'd hate to be held back from doing so by not choosing FM, you know?

At the same time though, I'm not sure I do want to study Maths; I'm also really interested in English Lit, as well as Philosophy, though I haven't actually studied that yet so I can't be sure but it sounds really interesting.

So, my questions then:

a) Could I study FM AS in my second year if I decided I did want to do Maths at uni at my sixth form?
    b) At another college? There are a few decent ones nearby who offer the course, but I'm not sure they'd let me do just the one subject in my second year, or would they?
    c) If I chose to drop Sociology and do FM instead, does that limit my options if I chose to do another subject altogether?

I just don't know really, but I have to decide pretty soon so =S Help? (:

There is no other subject that will reflect your passion for mathematics as much as FM....
    And I am sure FM a-level will make you a competitive candidate for MAths and other science and engineering degrees....
    So FM is way more valuable than Sociology...

Can't you self learn FM??? My friend self learned FM and got A* (he has a gifted mind for maths though...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by almxo)
    Yeah you can get in without it, but it's a big disadvantage.

ReputationRep:
    Five years ago people could do maths at unis like Bath, Bristol and nobody gave a rat's ass about whether they had done further maths. Okay it was good if you had it, but nobody really cared. I knew 4 people, who I think had only 1 AS-further maths between them, and they were fine. One of them dropped out to switch course, but only because she wasn't enjoying maths at uni; she was getting good marks.

Half of further maths was never seen again, the other half was easily subsumed in transition units in year 1: proof by induction and complex numbers in the opening introduction/pure unit in the 1st semester and vectors, matrices and eigenvalues in the 2 or 3 applied/methods units over both semesters (matrices, and vectors weren't introduced in a pure context until linear algebra in the 2nd year). I'm wondering what has changed in the meantime?

I know for a fact that mathematics degrees haven't changed at all. Some units have been shuffled around, as they tend to be, but with no real change. So what else has changed?

Maybe inflation of grades? That's all I can think of anyway. Perhaps A-level maths has changed to be made easier?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raiden10)
    Five years ago people could do maths at unis like Bath, Bristol and nobody gave a rat's ass about whether they had done further maths. Okay it was good if you had it, but nobody really cared. I knew 4 people, who I think had only 1 AS-further maths between them, and they were fine. One of them dropped out to switch course, but only because she wasn't enjoying maths at uni; she was getting good marks.

Half of further maths was never seen again, the other half was easily subsumed in transition units in year 1: proof by induction and complex numbers in the opening introduction/pure unit in the 1st semester and vectors, matrices and eigenvalues in the 2 or 3 applied/methods units over both semesters (matrices, and vectors weren't introduced in a pure context until linear algebra in the 2nd year). I'm wondering what has changed in the meantime?

I know for a fact that mathematics degrees haven't changed at all. Some units have been shuffled around, as they tend to be, but with no real change. So what else has changed?

Maybe inflation of grades? That's all I can think of anyway. Perhaps A-level maths has changed to be made easier?
    It's a lot more competitive now so the entry requirements have shot up, e.g. Warwick has no standard offer that doesn't include A2 FM.

ReputationRep:
    I applied to Bristol 6 years ago (started 4 1/2 years ago) and at that time the overwhelming majority of applicants (certainly the successful ones) had f.maths A level. Perhaps it was marginally less competitive, but to say nobody gave a rat's arse is misleading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by majikthise)
    I applied to Bristol 6 years ago (started 4 1/2 years ago) and at that time the overwhelming majority of applicants (certainly the successful ones) had f.maths A level. Perhaps it was marginally less competitive, but to say nobody gave a rat's arse is misleading.
    Do you mean further maths full A-level, or just AS? Certainly not that many people did the former and it was not a problem getting into good unis (nottingham, exeter, bristol, bath, warwick).

Sorry if I didn't make it clear that I was exaggerating. I added that it was good if you had it, but that was about it. Not all schools even offered it.

I welcome any further evidence/anecdotes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raiden10)
    Do you mean further maths full A-level, or just AS? Certainly not that many people did the former and it was not a problem getting into good unis (nottingham, exeter, bristol, bath, warwick).

Sorry if I didn't make it clear that I was exaggerating. I added that it was good if you had it, but that was about it. Not all schools even offered it.

I welcome any further evidence/anecdotes.
    I wrote A level, I meant A level.
    Of course it was possible to get in without it, but you had a significantly lower chance of doing so (especially if your school did offer it)- not what I'd call "nobody really cared".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by majikthise)
    I wrote A level, I meant A level.
    Touche.

Anywho, the situation clearly has changed. For 2005 entry I really can't recall it being a problem getting offers (not having further maths A-level). I know I thought seriously about applying for chemistry at some unis and maths at others. In the end I didn't, but I remember you could get onto good chemistry courses with a BBC at A-level. It even included Bristol I think. I think I'll go look up what their offers are now.

I looked them up and it ranges from A*AA to AAB! I'm guessing that there has been a massive inflation in grades and student numbers in recent years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by almxo)
    you don't need it, I got an offer for Chemistry at UCL, I don't even have A Level maths
    She got negged for talking about her offer? wow..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jampolo)
    She got negged for talking about her offer? wow..
    She got negged because her information was completely irrelevant and she didn't seem to understand that. We're talking about maths degrees, not chemistry degrees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by almxo)
    What has this got to do with anything, really?

Chemistry is not maths - maths degrees like people to have experience, ability and passion in maths, which further maths demonstrates. Chemistry degrees want people to have ability and passion etc. for chemistry, which further maths/maths does not necessarily demonstrate.

Surely you can see the massive difference? You sound like you're just trying to either a)dispel maths and the point of it b) boast about getting an offer?

And don't try and be really defensive like you were to the other people that commented on the irrelevance of your post. People speak rationally and say that maths is very different than chemistry and you reply with "chill out!". I think you need to chill... And haha you go and tell someone to chill out and not take their internet lives too seriously because they said 'well said'.

What a joke.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.