Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Everyone who's saying it doesn't matter if you miss a pill once in a while- that might be the case for your pill but it's really not the case for all.

I think if I miss one it make the whole week sort of "semi-unprotected" and I'll have to use condoms as well.

But OP you don't really have to take it at the same time every day (though it's usually advisable to because it's much easier to remember that way). I don't think she'd be as silly as to put her degree on the line by not making doubly sure she takes it.

I'm hopeless at remembering things and helplessly ditzy too. (I recently threw my ID and debit card in the bin by accident and then took the bins out for collection :facepalm:) But the pill is something I'd never forget.

Just strike up a conversation like "So, how the hell do you always remember to take a pill every day? Must be hard, do you use an alarm or something?"

ReputationRep:
    seriously why have i been negged for saying i don't really suffer from acne. WTF!

(Original post by Anonymous)
    biggest issue here is trust. If you can't trust someone to be following through on something you both agreed to(is this actually the case?) then you should't be having unprotected sex.
    Agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimbo139)
    Not sure what they were doing, but sex with a condom should not hurt.
    You've read the instructions, right? And you know that condoms come in different sizes?
    I never said it hurts, its just not as pleasurable. it feels rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma16)
    I'm not going to uni. done 3 years of child care at college, i want to travel. dream is to be a nanny in America!
    Ops sorry I accidently negged you.

Aw I like ooriginal dreams. I have sooo many back up plans lol!

like mad scientist, informal shrink, photographer, etc.

But what i really want is a chem degree so its easier to solve chemistry puzzles (which alot of good can come of).

I <3 Chemistry +Puzzles.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Anon or delete.

So basically I really don't want kids at all. My gf doesn't really want them either but she's in the &quot;I don't care&quot; camp.

We don't use condoms anymore because she's on the pill. Problem is I don't trust her to take the pill. I mean you have to take it everyday at the same time for it to work right ? Now my gf is smart, I mean she's at a Russel group university so she should be able to take a pill at the same time. For this reason I don't know how to say &quot;Do you take your pill properly ?&quot; to her.

She's a bit ditzy if you know what I mean. I don't know what to do about it, because of this I have well not avoided having sex but I'm more hesitant.

I can't be the only guy who feels this way. I mean we all have days when we don't manage to do everything we're supposed to or we're really busy.

So what do I do aobut this ?
    You're right to be concerned OP, my ex was "on the pill", and must have missed it as she ended up pregnant and had an abortion, ended up breaking up because the aftermath was such a ****ing mess

Keep using condoms if you're concerned

ReputationRep:
    I never said it hurts, its just not as pleasurable. it feels rubbish.
    Somebody else told me , not you!

ReputationRep:
    You're still protected if you miss a day (assuming you've been taking them correctly beforehand) and you don't need to take them at the exact same time everyday. (Okay, actually from reading other posts that's totally dependent on the type she's on )
    Have a little faith in your girlfriend, I doubt she'd want a baby if she's in the middle of a degree.

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Talk to her, she is your girlfriend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Destroyviruses)
    Ops sorry I accidently negged you.

Aw I like ooriginal dreams. I have sooo many back up plans lol!

like mad scientist, informal shrink, photographer, etc.

But what i really want is a chem degree so its easier to solve chemistry puzzles (which alot of good can come of).

I <3 Chemistry +Puzzles.
    Hahaha Okay i'm used to neg rep on this site ha

ReputationRep:
    I don't blame the OP for his concern. If she gets pregnant the has to deal with it too!

It's only responsible to take a healthy interest in the contraceptive your partner is using.

The pill isn't a perfect method of contraception. You don't have to be stupid to miss it occasionally. I found it pretty difficult to remember every day, that's why I switched to implant. What's stupid is not switching to another method if you find you're forgetting to take it :p:

It's failure rate is 0.3-2% annually.

OP I would say something such as "do you ever forget to take your pill?" just casually to your girlfriend, and see how she responds. You should also really discuss what would happen if she did fall pregnant. IF you're really uncomfortable about it, you can't really be having sex can you. You'd only have yourself to blame if your concerns were well-founded and she fell pregnant (okay so you''d have her to blame too :p: ) And I don't think some of your critics here would be oh so sympathetic in that situation either. But you could hardly be responsible if you didn't have a choice... so here we are.

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha Okay i'm used to neg rep on this site ha
    Its like when you want to quote someone and you click too soon. I've accidently neg reped some other dude the other day too . My hand eye co ordination isnt very good.

ReputationRep:
    if you don't trust her why don't you have a vasectomy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anabolicminds)
    lmaaao that made lol

"Russel group university so she should be able to take a pill at the same time"
    Me too...only on TSR...:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jo2217)
    Look at it this way, text her each night at whatever time you've set and afterwards say 'pill' or some word that is casual but is your way of letting her know you still want to be cautious. At the end of the day you can argue it takes two people in a relationship and if neither of you want kids then you both should be responsible for her taking it. Shows you care, that your not leaving the contraception up to her, and will probably help your relationship if you're doing these things together
    hahahaha

"hey, how're you? ...PILL!"

ReputationRep:
    Ask her to get an IUD or a contraceptive implant.
    Or just wrap yer willy everytime.

ReputationRep:
    You do realise that being in a russell group uni doesn't necessarily mean that someone would remember to take it on time right? I'm at an ex-poly and when I was on the pill I remembered it like clockwork.

If you don't trust her, then use condoms. It's not rocket science.

ReputationRep:
    Sex without a condom >>> sex with a condom. Would never consider relying solely on condoms.

(Original post by Vitamin D)
    Missing a pill DOES make you more likely to get pregnant for the 7 days following the missed pill (and obviously, missing more than one pill in a row increases this chance). After the missed pill, if she takes them regularly for 7 days, then she's fully protected again.

You clearly need to communicate more with each other.

The combined pill has a window of 12 hours

If you're on the combined pill, you can miss one with no significant increase in your chance of ovulation. There are plenty of resources which tell you this, for example the NHS website, the Brooke family planning website... they all say the same thing. You do not have to use condoms for a week if you miss one pill - only if you miss more than that, or if you're taking antibiotics or other medication which affects the pill. I cannot stress this enough as SO MANY people seem to think that one missed pill is a problem when it isn't really. A regularly taken combined pill has a higher effectiveness rate than even the implant. The mini-pill is different, but the combined pill is more common, so it's likely that's what she's taking.

I cannot remember to take anything, even my asthma inhaler, but I always, always take my pill. I don't want children. You're allowed to be concerned, but you have to trust your girlfriend on this one.

http://www.brook.org.uk/contraceptio...ing-goes-wrong
    http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Combine...tra-doses.aspx

ReputationRep:
    If you don't trust her, you don't really have much of a relationship do you ... :K:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missimpossible)
    Sex without a condom >>> sex with a condom. Would never consider relying solely on condoms.

If you're on the combined pill, you can miss one with no significant increase in your chance of ovulation. There are plenty of resources which tell you this, for example the NHS website, the Brooke family planning website... they all say the same thing. You do not have to use condoms for a week if you miss one pill - only if you miss more than that, or if you're taking antibiotics or other medication which affects the pill. I cannot stress this enough as SO MANY people seem to think that one missed pill is a problem when it isn't really. A regularly taken combined pill has a higher effectiveness rate than even the implant. The mini-pill is different, but the combined pill is more common, so it's likely that's what she's taking.

I cannot remember to take anything, even my asthma inhaler, but I always, always take my pill. I don't want children. You're allowed to be concerned, but you have to trust your girlfriend on this one.

http://www.brook.org.uk/contraceptio...ing-goes-wrong
    http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Combine...tra-doses.aspx
    There's so much conflicting information floating around. I'm sure that when my doctor prescribed the pill to me he told me I wasn't protected for 7 days if I missed one pill. But I just checked the pamphlet in the box and it says it's no big deal.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.