Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    So, I have all my offers, but am going to firm and insurance two where I live.

I won't be living in halls, and will be driving to the university for lectures (or cycling).

Do you think this will mean that I'll end up having no friends? and being alone?

ReputationRep:
    No, it just means you'll have to try harder.

You could, potentially, have the same amount of 'friends' as someone living in halls or private housing etc, but they basically get it given to them on a plate, in halls you are surrounded by people you can constantly make friends with.

That said, yours are going to be people from your course, which in a way is harder to become good friends with as they themselves have people who they live with.

But, just stick at it.. never say no to going out, so they'll keep inviting you, join socities .. and try and ask around to see if anyone else is in the same boat.

ReputationRep:
    It will be difficult, there's no denying that, but I doubt it's impossible. Join societies, be extra-sociable with people on your course, and spend as much time at uni as possible!

ReputationRep:
    no it doesn't mean you can't have friends.
    live 1 hour away from uni and I do have a lot of friends. It's just that you are more likely to be friends with more people from other courses if you live in halls.
    The only difference was that I got to know people a little later than others and that's because I usually don't open up to people easily, not because I lived at home

ReputationRep:
    I didn't live in halls at all when I was at university first time round and even now second time around I drive to college from my home for lectures. Both times I have made friends. My uni friends from Canterbury are still close friends even 10 years on, it's really a case of how you integrate yourself.

The best bet, enjoy student life as much as you can by getting involved in the societies and sports clubs and make your friends that way.

ReputationRep:
    You will lose out, as your only new friends will be from your course.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all. I find that I am friends with the people on my course and soc. not the people in halls. During freshers week you could always crash parties in the halls (there will be loads, just go around knocking on everyone's kitchen doors with some beer :p:) and you'll meet people this way. Plus, if you're the going out kind, you might even become good friends with these people whose parties you crash and have somewhere on campus to sleep after a late night!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexisonfire)
    You will lose out, as your only new friends will be from your course.
    Thats tosh to be honest. Only one of my friends at University was on my course. The rest I met through football, badminton and the journalism society.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys.

I am usually alright when I get with people. Don't really do the going out, but I haven't been 18 long, and there are other priorities right now. I have a girlfriend, and a big family.. and I want to do well!

I have quite a low self esteem, which will make things harder, but I did okay at college I think so I'm sure there's not much difference..

ReputationRep:
    I don't live in halls, I found out it quite easy to make friends (granted, I knew I had to make the effort, and also most of my friends are on my course rather than a variety) and I found it relaxing not having to be with the same people 24/7 (my uni groups people on the same course together in halls).

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.