Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    I'm looking for some advice/opinion about what move to make next. I am lucky enough to have been accepted into six universities, but am unsure which direction to go in.

My field of study is European Studies/International Relations, with the hopes of working in diplomacy, politics, or international NGOs.

I think I have been able to whittle three of the six off of the list:
    University of Durham (location not ideal)
    University of Edinburgh (too pricey)
    University College London (too pricey)

The final three I have are:
    King's College London (cheaper than UCL - still very reputable) ~£6000 + living costs [1 year ft]
    University of Manchester (cheapest of the lot - great deal!) ~£3500 + living costs [1 year ft]
    and
    the joint MA Euromasters Program at the University of Bath, University of Washington-Seattle and the Università degli Studi di Siena in Italy (quite expensive but rather exclusive) ~£8500 + living costs [1.5 years ft]

Things to consider:
    I went to an American university for undergraduate and I have a SIGNIFICANT debt of about £60000. The cheapest option should be the automatic choice, but I am one of only 7 students to be admitted to the Transatlantic Euromaster, so that is very appealing. Being a dual US/UK citizen, the idea of having an MA from both a British and American uni is also quite a draw!

If this unconventional international MA program is confusing take a look here http://www.bath.ac.uk/esml/em/.

I appreciate all your help and comments.

Best,
    Marek - University of New Hampshire

ReputationRep:
    Many congrats on your offers!

I don't think anyone will be able to understand totally your situation apart from you, but I'll give it my best shot. From the link and from what you've said, I think the Euromasters sounds like a fantastic opportunity - especially for someone who wants to work internationally as you do. It seems as if it would be highly regarded by future employers in that area, not only because of the actual course content but because you've shown that you can travel and live easily in lots of different places and get on with people in different countries etc. Do you speak Italian?

However as you've said you do have a lot of debt, and the Euromasters would knock you out of the job market for another couple of years as well as being waaaay expensive. Manchester's price is extremely good. It really depends on how you see your qualifications being viewed by future employers - personally I should think that a lot of people in your field have MAs from a UK university...but a transatlantic MA would really make you stand out. Don't do it just because you're one of 7 people to be picked though!

Is there one course which appeals to you the most in terms of its content?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for your response. I really appreciate it.

I think you have pretty much summed up my sentiment. It is weighing out the opportunity cost of cheaper degree with an earlier graduation date against one that takes longer to complete but that has a bigger chance of making me stand out.

To answer your questions, yes I do speak some Italian (although the classes in Siena are to be taught in English) and for course content, they all seem applicable to my career goals, but the Bath/UW/Siena course has a specific European-North American relations (the whole UW term) element which matches my interest exactly.

The ridiculous thing that keeps going through my mind is that the whole 1.5year program is cheaper than ONE semester at the UG university I attend now (or one semester at the UW - and I'd get to attend it for a semester anyway!). The only difference is in Europe, they don't hand out student loans willy nilly and finding the funds up front is a challenge. When I consider how much money I have spent up to this point on not too fantastic a degree, I question why I wouldn't spend that much again on one which is likely to do a lot more for me.

The other consideration I have, is that I have already studied in all these countries. I did a third of my UG at UCL in London as a visiting student and spent a summer at a for-credit institute in Florence, Italy. Will going back to these countries for an MA be worthwhile? Or have I already proven my international-ness?

Your thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    It sounds as if you're veering towards the transatlantic masters for several reasons; am I right?

Yes the cost is a massive consideration - because of course there's living costs as well. You've probably looked into this already but have you looked for bursaries, scholarships that you can apply for, here or in the US? There might be some kind of 'international young talent' funding available..I bet you'd be in with a shot. It's balancing the definite-ness of having another 15-20,000 on top of your existing debt against the possibility that you might end up with a mega interesting (and highly paid) job. Perhaps emailing some potential employers is in order? Look for the person who's in charge of recruitment or whatever and ask them their thoughts on how the transatlantic MA v.s. a UK MA would look on a potential employee - if they're like, "Meh..." then you know where you stand but if they're very interested that might help to make up your mind?

Your other consideration is an interesting one. I am by no means an expert in the international relations job market! - but I guess you could look at it two ways. It could show that, having studied abroad during your undergrad, you are still determined and committed to becoming 'international' and at ease in lots of different places. You'd be studying in three different universities in those same countries as well, which would be impressive. On the other hand, having already studied abroad during your undergrad, it might seem better to future employers that you were able to settle somewhere abroad for a while (say Manchester!) and have lots of experience living in and dealing with the people of that place, rather than flitting from country to country. As I said I am absolutely no expert, but that's just my layperson's perspective.

ReputationRep:
    I am definitely veering that way because it was always my #1 choice (if money were of no consequence). I have had quite a search for scholarships and not come up with much luck. I don't fit into the minority/international/in-demand-research brackets that most of the programs, sadly. Bath, however, offers three competitive £1000 scholarships which I am intending to apply for, but that is by no means a lock. I had thought about contacting employers, something which I really should do, but in the spirit of keeping my options open, it is hard to narrow down which prospective employers to approach. I don't really know where I'll be after I graduate.

As for settling vs. touring around, I think if I went on that argument, I wouldn't necessarily want to be an expert on Manchester. As lovely as it is, I don't see myself staying there longer than the duration of the degree, and in that respect would be leaning towards KCL.

Thanks derp for helping me talk this out. In all fairness, it is a wonderful position to be in! Especially after I got rejected from every UG school I applied to!

ReputationRep:
    Congrats on your offers! Really huge success!

It is definitely difficult to choose even though you have your priority in Transatlantic masters but well, the money issue is present plus also this touring thing. I dont know if spending three times one semester at different uni is really such an advantage. Probably the level of the universities is not the same (my alma mater - Charles University in Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences is one of the participating unis, so I can compare it to some others, like Science Po and its definitely not the same level, lol), so you might spend one semester at uni that is not that worth it...

I would probably choose Kings, because it is a really good uni, with good reputation and it will cost you less than moving several times around the world which I would definitely consider in your case

As for future employers...ok, university matters but not that much as you might think and I really dont see any difference in chances to get really good job after studying at Kings or doing the Transatlantic masters. It always depends on your abilities, on your knowledge and how you can sell yourself...

(I watched that video of a student talking about that program in Bath and it just sounds like a promo brochure reading tbh)

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm a newbie and I have also recevied an offer for the Euromasters programme (Bath, Prague and Siena). I have also offers from other Universities (Aberdeen, European governance in Leiden) am I'm still waiting for other responses.
    What did you finally decide ?

Euromasters sounds really great, but it's not that expensive for a 2 year-programme but the admissions requirements are very low and they apparently accept 85%of the applications ! (see http://ec.europa.eu/education/eis_ma...&courseid=1587)

It looks like they accept everyone who can afford such a programme, regardless of his background and his honours. But at the same time, I suppose a University like Science-Po wouldn't be involved in the programme if it was so bad.

In comparison, Leiden is a very good University too and is much cheaper (only 1.700 euros for a 1,5 year programme, +- 9.500 euros in Bath).

Do you think I should go for Leiden or Bath ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.