Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay so the following refers to a biology coursework... We had to write an 'issue report' and I really didn't know what to do it on. I made friends with a girl who lives 2 hours away when I went on a volunteering holiday, and she sent me the coursework she had done and gotten full marks.
    I have not copied a single word at all, and you would find it impossible to find the same sentences in our work... But I have 'based' my coursework on hers. Thats to say I used a very very similar title and layed it out in roughly the same order. I made sure I used mainly different sources, but the title refers to a specific investigation carried out by a medical journal so I had to source that, as she had. So I was wondering, do the plagiarism machines that exams boards use look at this kind of thing? As I say, its entirely my own words, but there are obvious similarities between the too :|
    And yes I know it was wrong of me but whats done is done and tbh the worry of this since is not worth getting the good marks

ReputationRep:
    Cheat.

ReputationRep:
    While your classmates slogged it out, you used someone elses work instead of your own. Real classy.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know though, the amount of sites online where you can find stuff like coursework and essays, these days if anything it's showing initiative. In maths, before you do a past paper yourself you get to see solutions of an other one first .. as an example of what it is based on. I don't know how similar yours is to hers, but personally I don't think its plagarism

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so. It's not very ethical, but it's not strictly plagiarism.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say so, but honestly you should just do the work fully on your own, it may take extra effort but it's worth it in the end. I've never plagarised any work (except copying a 10-20 homework sheet that I've forgotten to do a couple of times).

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine.

It is highly likely the exam board publishes exemplar material for that sort of thing anyway. As you say you didn't COPY you just based it upon that piece of work.

Well done.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You'll get away with it (unfortunately, some might say).

ReputationRep:
    I was accused of plagiarism for a piece of work that was entirely my own, and it made me feel crap. I don't really understand how people can copy other people's ideas and pass them off as their own...

ReputationRep:
    it depends.
    A small percentage of courseworks get sent off for moderation and an even fewer percentage get checked in the anti plagiarism software.

This will eat you up though - been through the same thing except accidental >.< I was bloody lucky and now I make sure I religiously cite and reference my work.

If you haven't got any of the same sentences - you'll be fine. Of all the people doing the coursework in the country, do you really think you'll be the only two using that source?

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.