Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I recently went for an interview at Slaughter and May's for a training contract however found out today that I didn't get it (I really thought I did well in the interview so I'll have to get the feedback ASAP).

Has anyone else had a rejection/offer? And any advice on coping with it and finding the energy to keep applying for other firms. Right now I feel like I've been KO'ed lol.

Thanks all.

Regards,

HKF.

ReputationRep:
    unlucky, not much you can do really....just rape the next interview

ReputationRep:
    No matter what people say about tailoring your applications to individual firms, at the end of the day it is a numbers game. You can't expect to send one app off and be successful. And if one rejection leaves you feeling KO'd, you need to ask yourself if you have got the mental fortitude for the application process.

ReputationRep:
    First of all, congrats on making it to the interview at all.

Second Slaughter & May and the MC is not the be all and end all, there are so many other amazing firms that offer the same work if not carrying the same prestigious title.

All of the chasing pack are fantastic firms offering similar work to the MC. That the MC is the only place to go to work on FT worthy deals is one of the most exaggerated myths in the legal sector.

And, luckily for you, if you're considered worthy of an interview with S&M most other firms will see you as pretty good recruiting material as well

So Man The **** Up and get on those apps

ReputationRep:
    In this climate even the best candidates are likely to be rejected from some firms. For instance I have a friend who got offers from A&O, S&M and Freshfields but was rejected from CC, Linklaters, Herbies, Ashurst etc. You're never going to get offers from everywhere so I wouldn't be too disheartened by one rejection. Most people will get many more rejections than they will offers but you just have to keep persevering

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hingus2000)
    No matter what people say about tailoring your applications to individual firms, at the end of the day it is a numbers game. You can't expect to send one app off and be successful. And if one rejection leaves you feeling KO'd, you need to ask yourself if you have got the mental fortitude for the application process.
    Dunno why this is negged it's pretty right.

I sent off apps to every mc firm (missed links by accident), most of the high performing sc firms, and a good amount of American firms (like 15-18 apps total).

I got turned down before interview by Freshfields, but got a TC elsewhere in the MC, with pretty much the same applications. You have to put in the time and apply to a lot of places.

Not ALL of the things you say are applicable, but lots of them are. They are all successful law firms, and more importantly, most of them seem to pride themselves or want to be seen in the same way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoBigOrGoHome)
    First of all, congrats on making it to the interview at all.

Second Slaughter & May and the MC is not the be all and end all, there are so many other amazing firms that offer the same work if not carrying the same prestigious title.

All of the chasing pack are fantastic firms offering similar work to the MC. That the MC is the only place to go to work on FT worthy deals is one of the most exaggerated myths in the legal sector.

And, luckily for you, if you're considered worthy of an interview with S&M most other firms will see you as pretty good recruiting material as well

So Man The **** Up and get on those apps
    Thanks for this post - positive repped

Also, the comment about feeling KO'ed may have been misleading. I meant that I felt KO'ed by the rejection, not from the process as a whole (I've already applied to a few other firms and will continue to do so).

I posted that the same day, but now having slept on it I feel manned up and have grown a pair back haha.

Thanks all.

HKF.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighestKungFu)
    Hi all,

I recently went for an interview at Slaughter and May's for a training contract however found out today that I didn't get it (I really thought I did well in the interview so I'll have to get the feedback ASAP).

Has anyone else had a rejection/offer? And any advice on coping with it and finding the energy to keep applying for other firms. Right now I feel like I've been KO'ed lol.

Thanks all.

Regards,

HKF.
    How long did it take Slaughter and May to get back to you?

I interviewed on Monday.....I expect a rejection but we'll see.

C

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by consultius)
    How long did it take Slaughter and May to get back to you?

I interviewed on Monday.....I expect a rejection but we'll see.

C
    If they said '7-10 days' then that usually means a rejection. I've heard within 3 days for an offer. What did the HR person say? Was it the head of HR?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighestKungFu)
    If they said '7-10 days' then that usually means a rejection. I've heard within 3 days for an offer. What did the HR person say? Was it the head of HR?
    I think the time it takes can be affected by how long it takes them to speak to your referee - my understanding is that this is a critical part of the process, rather than box ticking as with other firms' take up of written references.

Presumably if they've already decided it's a no, then they don't bother contacting your referee.

I've also been told that they review that week's candidates together (but I know of people who had interviews early in the week and got the good news within 24 hours).

Sorry, that doesn't clarify things at all. Good luck (whatever the news turns out to be).

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.