Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Law career advice for a 29 year old watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FMQ)
    You are wrong. It only has to be an undergraduate degree. I can assure you I know someone in this position who got to interview stage.
    It doesn't, if you do more than one undergraduate degree they will look at the classification in the first one you read for. They want evidence of academic ability that doesn't involve multiple attempts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal)
    It doesn't, if you do more than one undergraduate degree they will look at the classification in the first one you read for. They want evidence of academic ability that doesn't involve multiple attempts.

Perhaps the person interviewing my friend didn't check their application form properly then...

Given you work there perhaps you can check with HR?

ReputationRep:
    Your friend may have made a mitigating circumstances case. I know these are, where properly evidenced, taken into consideration by the GLS recruitment teams. It could be they didn't want to tell you they had done that because they were embarrassed.

Are you certain your friend actually went through to the assessment stage as it isn't just an interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal)
    Your friend may have made a mitigating circumstances case. I know these are, where properly evidenced, taken into consideration by the GLS recruitment teams. It could be they didn't want to tell you they had done that because they were embarrassed.

Are you certain your friend actually went through to the assessment stage as it isn't just an interview?
    Last post on this as pointless now

No mitigating circs form - she contacted them and was told as long as she had a 2.1 she could apply that First degree was just another way of saying undergrad degree, she discussed it with a number of us as she did generally as she always worried the 2.2 would hold her back in pup int generally even with the 2.1 - no reason to doubt this from context. Had no mit circs re first degree - she just wasnt interested in education when she did her first degree 15 years ago.

I think the process has changed now but at that time you did a problem question with your application, then you did verbal/analytical reasoning online then the assessment centre (which i class as interview but i am not a pedant) then a final interview - she got to the assessment centre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    I am afraid FMQ is being realistic.

Although he suggests Birkbeck, there are plenty of other places offering part-time law degrees in cheaper parts of the country. Alternatively you could try maximising your income for a year and doing a two year senior status law degree.

A 2:1 in law from anywhere decent turns you from an exceptionally weak candidate to a strong one given the two masters.
    The accelerated degree at Edinburgh would provide this. It's not a classified degree though. But surely high marks on this would come first. I would be restricted to practising where scots law is prominent(ish) but I'm ok with that. Scotland is my home town after all and it is rather nice there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    I presume the reason for doing the accelerated LLB in Scotland rather than England is purely financial?

If you study at Stirling you will be doing Scots law. I don't know what the prospects are for training contracts in Scotland at present.

If you want to do a two year accelerated LLB in English law in Scotland, then AFAIK Dundee is the only place.
    Yes and No. Financial prerogatives may force me to study in England. I'm in touch with Natwest at the moment - waiting on a response actually - on whether they will give me a loan for Edinburgh, but after re-checking their site it looks like they will only loan to CoL or BPP prospective students. This is part of my crux: do I go to CoL or BPP despite not having a 2:1 if the won't loan me the cast to go to Edinburgh where I think the teaching and the degree is much better. But, I still not sure my lack of a 2:1 can be overcome. However I do know I would f-ing storm the course and I'm very tempted just to go and do it and get the grades (after reading political theory I'm confident of what I can achieve).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FMQ)
    This is not correct if he had a proper 2.1 that would be fine for the application of the GLS the question is do you have a 2.1 hons not do you have a 2.1 hons as the first degree you did - I was at bar school with someone in this position who got to interview stage - but it would have to be a whole degree not the COL one.
    I'd like to quickly summarise my position as of now so you can suggest what you think would be best for me - or what you would do if you were in my shoes. Thanks very much for your responses so far; they're very much appreciated. What I think will happen is that Natwest will say they cannot provide me with a loan to go to Edinburgh as they are wrapping up their loan scheme overall and that one has been discontinued. But, they will fund my place either at BPP or CoL as long as the arrangments are mafe before April the 14th. I'm then left with a choice. Should I do the GDL despite not having a 2:1.
    Also in my thoughts in considering this are the prospective costs of student fees next year - without any viable loan being available; in short is this a one shot deal for me, can I afford to wait despite the circumstances being what they are? Also are you guys being unduly pessimistic? Can I not get a job as a paralegal and fund my LPC part-time and potentially work for a small firm once the economy starts growing at an increasing rate in 2 years or so (This being a bottom of the barrel option). If I ace the course surely that would mean something and what if you couple that with some positive work expereince with a potential TC provider? Is doing the GDL with this in mind not worthwhile? Or is this not reasonable?
    Lastly, and this as a bit of an tangental-additional point, I have a lovely Aunt in Canada who just mentioned she wants to sponsor me to emigrate to Canada. She also offered to 'cover my costs' for 3 years or so until I can pay her back. She has law school in mind in Canada and I've looked at the fees there, which are about $40000 canadian per year, and a common law degree lasting 3 years. Alternatively, I think the GDL in England transfers to Canada to some extent. Thoughts on this?

Again, thanks everyone...
    Rob.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saxaphone Joe)
    Yes and No. Financial prerogatives may force me to study in England. I'm in touch with Natwest at the moment - waiting on a response actually - on whether they will give me a loan for Edinburgh, but after re-checking their site it looks like they will only loan to CoL or BPP prospective students. This is part of my crux: do I go to CoL or BPP despite not having a 2:1 if the won't loan me the cast to go to Edinburgh where I think the teaching and the degree is much better. But, I still not sure my lack of a 2:1 can be overcome. However I do know I would f-ing storm the course and I'm very tempted just to go and do it and get the grades (after reading political theory I'm confident of what I can achieve).
    This isn't the Nat West scheme that has been closed down is it?

I certainly wouldn't recommend doing the GDL off your present degree whether or not you get a loan. The senior status degree is a different matter.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to quickly summarise my position as of now so you can suggest what you think would be best for me - or what you would do if you were in my shoes. Thanks very much for your responses so far; they're very much appreciated. What I think will happen is that Natwest will say they cannot provide me with a loan to go to Edinburgh as they are wrapping up their loan scheme overall and that one has been discontinued. But, they will fund my place either at BPP or CoL as long as the arrangments are mafe before April the 14th. I'm then left with a choice. Should I do the GDL despite not having a 2:1.
    Also in my thoughts in considering this are the prospective costs of student fees next year - without any viable loan being available; in short is this a one shot deal for me, can I afford to wait despite the circumstances being what they are? Also are you guys being unduly pessimistic? Can I not get a job as a paralegal and fund my LPC part-time and potentially work for a small firm once the economy starts growing at an increasing rate in 2 years or so (This being a bottom of the barrel option). If I ace the course surely that would mean something and what if you couple that with some positive work expereince with a potential TC provider? Is doing the GDL with this in mind not worthwhile? Or is this not reasonable?
    Lastly, and this as a bit of an tangental-additional point, I have a lovely Aunt in Canada who just mentioned she wants to sponsor me to emigrate to Canada. She also offered to 'cover my costs' for 3 years or so until I can pay her back. She has law school in mind in Canada and I've looked at the fees there, which are about $40000 canadian per year, and a common law degree lasting 3 years. Alternatively, I think the GDL in England transfers to Canada to some extent. Thoughts on this?

Again, thanks everyone...
    Rob.
    My advice reverts to my original post. You need to do another degree and you need to rock it. That probably ( reaslitically with the bottleneck of even the last couple of years) means a 1st. I know you feel you will rock it but hardly anyone gets a first so that is something to think about. A GDL with a 2.2 and no TC is a gamble which is not worth taking. EVERYONE thinks they stand out but most people really dont. Everyone with cr*p A levels thinks they will resit and get As. Everyone with a 2.2 thinks they are capable of a first. I know people who have resat A levels and got Bs and C and (from Ds and Es) and 2 people who have taken further degrees with 2.2s one barely scraped 2.1 the other got another desmond.

Don't know about Canada. In most countries to transfer to becoming a lawyer in that juristiction you need to be fully qualified to practice in your own - which would mean LLB/GDL, LPC, and completed TC. One notable exception is the US where some states such as New York allow you to "qualify" with three years of academic legal education - so those lawyers qualified with a GDL as it is only a year long are not eligible to take the New York bar even, if they have practised in this country for 20 years. You need to research what the position is in canada

ReputationRep:
    Okay, thanks everyone for the above advice; it was certainly helpful at the time. An update (two years and some later): I've saved about 12 grand from teaching in Korea and I'm off to Glasgow (6000 a year) to do the accelerated LLB. I'm now 31 and the prospect of being a student again isn't very appealing (the studying yes, but not the loss of status and income) but I feel ready.

You might be interested in this too: this year I 'close read' Plato's Laws and I'd recommend it to anyone interested in legal foundations. Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, thanks everyone for the above advice; it was certainly helpful at the time. An update (two years and some later): I've saved about 12 grand from teaching in Korea and I'm off to Glasgow (6000 a year) to do the accelerated LLB. I'm now 31 and the prospect of being a student again isn't very appealing (the studying yes, but not the loss of status and income) but I feel ready.
    Good luck. You're in a similar boat to me, I got a bad first degree (2:2 with no mitigating circumstances) and went back to study the LL.B. as a mature student about 18 months ago now for similar reasons to you (no point doing the GDL with a bad degree).

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.