Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know of/have used a kilimanjaro tour provider which they would recommend. Want to climb it in 2012, preferably on the cheap side, just wondering if any of you have had any experience with any specific company. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.exodus.co.uk/

I've been up toubkal with these.

I don't have first hand experience with these, but supposedly they're good- based in Ambleside
    http://www.adventurepeaks.com/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteveCrain)
    http://www.exodus.co.uk/

I've been up toubkal with these.

I don't have first hand experience with these, but supposedly they're good- based in Ambleside
    http://www.adventurepeaks.com/
    Thanks for those, some new ideas on there aswell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by b3nz3n3)
    Thanks for those, some new ideas on there aswell.
    have you climbed any high peaks before? I've heard Kilimanjaro is pretty miserable, as in it's mostly wasteland once on the mountain

ReputationRep:
    have you climbed any high peaks before? I've heard Kilimanjaro is pretty miserable, as in it's mostly wasteland once on the mountain
    Yeah I have heard this, but then when I see pictures of it, it looks really beautiful. What would you perhaps recommend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by b3nz3n3)
    Yeah I have heard this, but then when I see pictures of it, it looks really beautiful. What would you perhaps recommend?
    I haven't done enough and I don't know enough to recommend anything tbh. You should probably start a topic asking for recommendations and then the more experienced climbers, few though they might be, can offer suggestions

ReputationRep:
    This is what I have heard too. I don't understand why Kili is so popular... There are so many other high mountains which are more pretty & exciting to climb. It's so freaking expensive as well, total tourist trap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    This is what I have heard too. I don't understand why Kili is so popular... There are so many other high mountains which are more pretty & exciting to climb. It's so freaking expensive as well, total tourist trap.
    Along with Elbrus, I think it's supposed to be the easiest of the seven summits. More people know and like the look of Africa, than the look of Caucasus.

ReputationRep:
    Along with Elbrus, I think it's supposed to be the easiest of the seven summits. More people know and like the look of Africa, than the look of Caucasus.
    So, why should Joe Public care about whether its one of the seven summits or not? It's not like they're going to climb the others. Besides if they really cared they could go climb Mont Blanc which really isn't that difficult either.

It just astonishes me why people ignore one of the most amazing mountain ranges, directly on our back door.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    It just astonishes me why people ignore one of the most amazing mountain ranges, directly on our back door.
    Which are?

ReputationRep:
    Which are?
    The Alps are very prominent, as well as the Pyrenees. Then you have the Himalayas & Karakoram in N India / Nepal which are both arguably more accessible (and most certainly cheaper).

If they're going because they want to go to Tanzania that makes sense to me, but to go just for the mountain when there are so many more accessible places just seems strange to me :p:

ReputationRep:
    Kili's not really a climb, more of a scramble, which is why it's popular. Doesn't require any particular mountaineering skill or experience. To get that high in almost any other mountain range would be a serious technical climb.

Most of the adventure travel companies offer it as a package and use trusted local operators. There are local companies within Tanzania who do it cheaper, but they are more of an unknown quantity.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Its possibly the highest mountain you can climb without having any prior experience or particular skill (i think there may be some in Kashmir, but that presents its own problems...). No climbing and favorable climate. Mount Blanc, for instance, would require some pretty substantial snow gear no?

There is also the factor that because it such a tourist trap people feel secure. I mean, most people that seem to do it are busy 40-somethings who don't particularly want to do lots of organization themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Its possibly the highest mountain you can climb without having any prior experience or particular skill (i think there may be some in Kashmir, but that presents its own problems...). No climbing and favorable climate. Mount Blanc, for instance, would require some pretty substantial snow gear no?
    I think he will be able to get an introductory course in Alpine climbing and a mont blanc ascent for the same price as Kilimanjaro. Far more interesting option, especially if OP wants to climb bigger or more remote peaks.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think he will be able to get an introductory course in Alpine climbing and a mont blanc ascent for the same price as Kilimanjaro. Far more interesting option, especially if OP wants to climb bigger or more remote peaks.
    It is an option. I am in a similar position - i have climbed a number of 4000+ and one 5000m peak but to go any higher i will need to get instruction on mountain climbing and potentially some not-cheap equipment. It may be financially feasible but is a lot of effort and organization compared with getting some tour company to take you up kilimanjaro!

I would agree that the rewards of going to the extra effort will probably be worth it though. Kayaking happens to have caught my interest more so at the moment but i few years down the line i may well do as you say.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what you want to do. You couldn't go and do a safari the day after climbing Mont Blanc. Nothing against France, but it's not really very interesting compared to East Africa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)

There is also the factor that because it such a tourist trap people feel secure. I mean, most people that seem to do it are busy 40-somethings who don't particularly want to do lots of organization themselves.
    There are loads of 6k+ peaks near Leh in Ladakh with most requiring zero technical skill to climb. Even better you don't really need a guide, and most certainly do not need porters as the climbs are so short. You would probably do this in conjunction with a homestay trek in the region...

Mont Blanc requires crampons & boots but they can be hired locally for a pittance. The technical skill to climb the mountain is actually pretty low. Provided you aren't stupid, know your limits and be careful of the weather you shouldn't have problems. Besides as above you could go on a course etc for less than Kili, and this would open up more trekking opportunities for you.

Then there is Nepal with plenty of 5500m peaks which again require zero technical skill and can be climbed without guides or porters. Way better views as well, Everest, Cho Oyo, Lhotse anyone? You could even pay permit fees and climb a 6k+ trekking peak for not that much (with guide etc ofc).

(Original post by Jez RR)
    Depends on what you want to do. You couldn't go and do a safari the day after climbing Mont Blanc. Nothing against France, but it's not really very interesting compared to East Africa.
    I'd rather spend a week trekking in the Alps than go see some wildlife on safari :p: Each to their own tho ^_^

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the input everyone, shall have another think about it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.