Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by staceyriley)
    Hi Melissa,

Looking forward to meeting you too. I am so excited for this course. I am from Kent, South East England. I think I will be living at home and commuting to London. How about you?

Stacey
    I'm from France and I'm currently starting to look for a room to rent in Central London (which is not the easiest way to do when you're not in London). But I'm starting to think I should wait until I'm actually there to find a place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shyamcrush)
    Hi all.

I applied for the Economics and Business track on Apr 26. I got an unconditional offer on May 10.
    I guess the decisions are made faster after the Apr 27 deadline.

Any ideas when the scholarship results are released?

Congratulations. I also get an offer for the same track. Heard nothing about scholarships.
    Hope to see you in September)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melissa38)
    I'm from France and I'm currently starting to look for a room to rent in Central London (which is not the easiest way to do when you're not in London). But I'm starting to think I should wait until I'm actually there to find a place.
    I'm in the same situation. I'd like to live in the center to be near UCL, but putting down money to reserve a room before seeing it seems like a bad idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemical huskies)
    I'm in the same situation. I'd like to live in the center to be near UCL, but putting down money to reserve a room before seeing it seems like a bad idea.
    I know... I'm just hoping there will still be nice accomodations left in mid-September when we arrive. But in such a big city, I guess you can always find something decent, not too far from UCL.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, that's nearly right on their 6 week quote. Thanks.

The online app portal status just changed to "Currently being processed by Admissions." Nerve racking. Perhaps this status change means a decision is coming soon? Can anyone confirm of deny this based on their experience?
    I think so. At least for me, it only took 3 more days to get the result.

ReputationRep:
    OMG!
    I got an offer this morning!
    See you guys in London!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melissa38)
    I know... I'm just hoping there will still be nice accomodations left in mid-September when we arrive. But in such a big city, I guess you can always find something decent, not too far from UCL.
    I think you're right. There's going to be so many other students (especially with Kings & LSE nearby) in the same situation and with so many options I'm sure it'll work out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vilkku)
    OMG!
    I got an offer this morning!
    See you guys in London!
    well done!!!!! which programme did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, congrats on your offer^^^! It's very exciting, isn't it!?

(Original post by aeterno)
    Short answer - yes, the War Studies dept ranks higher.

UCL on the whole ranks higher than KCL but the War Studies dept itself is one of the best there is.

I would give you a longer answer but I'm far too tired at the moment!
    Can anyone elaborate on this? Sure enough I've got offers from King's Dept. of War Studies and UCL's Dept. of Political Science. I haven't been able to find any evidence that King's dept. is definitively better. Not sure which one to accept. (Though an offer from LSE would put this debate to rest in a hurry :cool:) Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:

Can anyone elaborate on this? Sure enough I've got offers from King's Dept. of War Studies and UCL's Dept. of Political Science. I haven't been able to find any evidence that King's dept. is definitively better. Not sure which one to accept. (Though an offer from LSE would put this debate to rest in a hurry :cool:) Any insight will be greatly appreciated.
    I got both into the School of Public Policy and the Global Migration Programme at the Dept of Geography, both at UCL, no interviews, it took like 3 weeks!

Haven't heard anything regarding my application to King's War Studies Dept yet.

Given the much higher prestige and the flexibility of curricula at UCL, I am sure you can both get the best professors there and tailor your programme and thesis as you like. So I decided not to wait and accepted the SPP offer from UCL :-)

Ideally, I'd like to have King's Intelligence and Intl Security programme taught at UCL, but the world isn't perfect

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cayenechilli)
    Hi
    I think i'm gonna accept the offer since this is my first choice. Hope to see you there. By the way, thanks for your advice before
    Hi,

I got an offer as well and I will accept ;-) So were are you going to live? On the campus or in a shared flat? What area? I will move over from Munich, so it would be nice to get some advice ;-)

Thanks a lot! Nele

ReputationRep:
    So I just applied for MSc Global Health and Development - quite late, I know, but applications were still open, so we'll see how it goes!

ReputationRep:
    hey all, for those getting an offer from UCL, anyone of u got a 2.2 from ur previous undergrad deg? Im in my finals and things are looking bad on my side. Seems like I'm gona settle for a 2.2 and since UCL's requirement is a 2.1, any possibilities of me going in?

ReputationRep:
    I have submitted my application (IMESS - P&S) on April 26. Do you think it is wise to send a mail to Admissions office asking about an approximate date for receiving info on my application status?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnaWintour)
    I have submitted my application (IMESS - P&S) on April 26. Do you think it is wise to send a mail to Admissions office asking about an approximate date for receiving info on my application status?
    I applied on April 5th and got a reply on May 3rd (had an interview on May 14th), so it took them about month.

It's a different course but it should take them roughly the same amount of time to reply. I would give it another week and then send them an email if I were you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by car123)
    I applied on April 5th and got a reply on May 3rd (had an interview on May 14th), so it took them about month.

It's a different course but it should take them roughly the same amount of time to reply. I would give it another week and then send them an email if I were you.
    Thank you for the advice. I will do that way. Anyways, how long was the interview, what did they ask you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnaWintour)
    Thank you for the advice. I will do that way. Anyways, how long was the interview, what did they ask you?
    About 15-20 mins. I was first asked to explain my current undergrad dissertation, then he asked me 4-6 technical questions pertaining to the course I was applying for.

ReputationRep:

I was in the same situation holding an offer from UCL's SPP and two for King's War Studies. I was trying to balance up the pros and cons.

I decided on doing an MSc (UCL) rather than the MA (King's) because of the requirement at UCL to complete quantitative and qualitative research courses. The MAs have no such courses and ultimately I feel the MSc will be more valuable for employment because of the practical skills involved. There is still a huge range of optional modules but the course is well structured.

Also, while the War Studies dept has an excellent reputation, it's primary focus is obviously on military conflict and security. SPP at UCL appears to have a much broader remit of policy and security issues.

I come from a legal background where I've written many essays and a huge dissertation, and I don't think an MA will really advance on the skills I already have.

Just my thoughts. Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karoline89)
    So I just applied for MSc Global Health and Development - quite late, I know, but applications were still open, so we'll see how it goes!
    Me too! Desperate to find out what is going to happen soon, but, going by the posts on here - it may take a while!

Good luck with your application!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Okkervil)
    I was in the same situation holding an offer from UCL's SPP and two for King's War Studies. I was trying to balance up the pros and cons.

I decided on doing an MSc (UCL) rather than the MA (King's) because of the requirement at UCL to complete quantitative and qualitative research courses. The MAs have no such courses and ultimately I feel the MSc will be more valuable for employment because of the practical skills involved. There is still a huge range of optional modules but the course is well structured.

Also, while the War Studies dept has an excellent reputation, it's primary focus is obviously on military conflict and security. SPP at UCL appears to have a much broader remit of policy and security issues.

I come from a legal background where I've written many essays and a huge dissertation, and I don't think an MA will really advance on the skills I already have.

Just my thoughts. Best of luck!
    Thank you for the insight. I came to a similar conclusion that the research methods courses would definitely add practical skills and enhance employability.

Though now I'm in an even larger quandary: I've got offers for MSc Security Studies from UCL and MSc Comparative Politics (Democracy) at LSE [second choice at LSE, Conflict Studies was my first] and have no clue which one to accept. The course content in the UCL programme is more attractive and includes research methods while the LSE programme does not and wasn't really my first choice of subject. But it's LSE. Decisions, decisions, decisions... a good problem, but a problem all the same.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.