Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've wanted to do medicine for ages, got the GCSE's needed etc, but I started college this year and it's been the worst year ever. My mum's been ill and needed operations etc, and she has heart failure so I've had to look after her, my Uncle died so I have to look after his kids all the time, and theres other personal reasons I really don't want to share on here but they've made me pretty ill and stressed and i'm thinking of dropping out of college for the year and then restarting my A Levels in September because my attendance has been so low I've missed pretty much everything.

TL/DR: Basically, I just wondered, If I was to drop out of college and restart in September, doing work experience and trying to catch up from now until then would it have any affect on my chances of medicine? Is there any place on the UCAS form where I'd need to say I dropped out and restarted?

ReputationRep:
    You've got valid reasons, you can always go back to college when things are more settled

ReputationRep:
    Other than being a year behind your friends etc. it shouldn't make a difference. (Providing you do well in your A Levels xD)

I'm sure medical schools will understand if they ask you about it - plus if you're going to do work experience during that year then that'll be helpful for you.

However, if there's any chance of you being able to carry on without it being too stressful, you might as well? But it shouldn't lower your chances (dropping out)

(This is just my opinion)

ReputationRep:
    You should go through official procedures for extenuating circumstances imo. Does your college have any kind of support services? Or a teacher or head of year to go to?

Just get some kind of evidence/reference that you have a genuine reason for starting over (which you do) that doesn't relate to your academic performance or commitment.

Basically, medical schools will or could discriminate unless they see it in evidence that you deserve extenuation. You shouldn't be too worried, because I'd say its fairly obvious that you do, but I'd recommend making it "official" if that makes sense? Get a member of staff to write a signed letter about it kinda thing, or go through some official extenuation process if it exists.

Will come in handy then when the time comes round for you to apply.

ReputationRep:
    I completely agree with the above post. I bet admissions tutors get half hard BS applications for mitigation all the time.

I'm not saying yours isn't valid, it clearly is. But if you have a written record from your college, it's the "proof" they need and I'm sure they'll be sympathetic to you

Good luck with everything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeanofJelly)
    You should go through official procedures for extenuating circumstances imo. Does your college have any kind of support services? Or a teacher or head of year to go to?
    Well, my college aren't keen on me dropping out. They think I can do it, but my attendance is like 50% now, and it's just going to get worse, I'll end up failing and having to retake all of my exams and that will mess up my dreams, So I don't see the point in staying. I might be able to talk them around though..

My doctor backs my decision, I could probably get some form of note off him? Do you think that could count?

ReputationRep:
    and thanks everyone else for the help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tishh :))
    Well, my college aren't keen on me dropping out. They think I can do it, but my attendance is like 50% now, and it's just going to get worse, I'll end up failing and having to retake all of my exams and that will mess up my dreams, So I don't see the point in staying. I might be able to talk them around though..

My doctor backs my decision, I could probably get some form of note off him? Do you think that could count?
    I was going to say, if your college is being rubbish - go to the doctor!

If they support you, get them to write a letter, saying explicitly that they believe your leaving college at this stage is due to the extenuating circumstances you've been having.

Basically, get someone with some authority to verify your circumstances so you won't be in a tight spot when it comes to medical schools asking for your evidence (in case they do, I'm not a real expert but I think that they would, and you're better safe than sorry).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 25, 2011

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.