Those who know what PPE is like.... help! Watch

This discussion is closed.
Chinesegirl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi, I'm going to Pembroke to read PPE in October. I'm presently having such a long holiday -- about 9 months. So, looking for something to do, but to find a job is impossible subject to the HIGH unemployment rate in China, hence alternatively considering self-study. If you're reading PPE or have finished it or going to study it, would you give me some clues what to study and how to prepare for the course? If we could make academic discussion earlier, won't it be excited and beneficial? Looking forward to your joining!!!
Chinesegirl
Rep:
?
Come on! I know there're quite some people interested in the course?
nero076
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
There are some PPEists on this board, I will be studying it next year myself. FOund this post re the philosophy part

http://www.uk-learning.net/t21504.html
DaKewLesT
Report 16 years ago
Hi!
I'm hopefully gonna be readin PPE in Balliol next year..
The areas you can read about is quite broad, I would actually think it would be wiser if you try to persue an interest! The best thing to start with though is to read a few introductory broad books,
e.g
Philosophy :
The problems of philosophy by bertnard russel
What does it all mean by thomas Nagel
Economic Philosophy:
The worldly philosopher, paul hielbroner
Political Philosophy
Plato to Nato by Brain Red Head.

After reading such books that introduce a wide range of topics or people briefly, you can pick an area or a person that interests you and follow that up..

E.g Hobbes : Leviathan

About economics, It would probably be interestin to read the works of some modern day economist, Paul Krugman or John Galbraith ...

It would all depend on what you can put your hand on and how much time you have!

Best wishes!
semi
Report 16 years ago
yeah i am also up for PPE next year at hertford, really looking forward to it but i feel like everyone will know so much more than me.. which could be interesting! oh well, i may see you all there then
RxB
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by semi)
yeah i am also up for PPE next year at hertford, really looking forward to it but i feel like everyone will know so much more than me.. which could be interesting! oh well, i may see you all there then
...did you see Finding Nemo as part of a big group? As I think I may have met you...
DaKewLesT
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by RxB)
...did you see Finding Nemo as part of a big group? ...
Actually, a big group from balliol ppe applicants went to see that as well.. what a coincedence ... i ditched them though , n went to see love actually ... ... for the 2nd time ! .... there goes my macho reputation ...
RxB
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by DaKewLesT)
Actually, a big group from balliol ppe applicants went to see that as well.. what a coincedence ... i ditched them though , n went to see love actually ... ... for the 2nd time ! .... there goes my macho reputation ...
Y'big girl, you. We probably irritated the Balliol people intensely as we were all just slightly too late so we were aiming to get seats just as it was starting...
semi
Report 16 years ago
wow! yeah i did go and see that, were you with all the hertford ppl, (eg. ben, andrew, eric and griff)? whats ur name? samina x
RxB
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by semi)
wow! yeah i did go and see that, were you with all the hertford ppl, (eg. ben, andrew, eric and griff)? whats ur name? samina x
Yeah, I was part of that group. I'm Mark (the one who always wore the unnecessarily hot coat and black glasses). Do you know of anyone else who's got in? I only know Griff has...
Chinesegirl
Rep:
?
(Original post by DaKewLesT)
Hi!
I'm hopefully gonna be readin PPE in Balliol next year..
The areas you can read about is quite broad, I would actually think it would be wiser if you try to persue an interest! The best thing to start with though is to read a few introductory broad books,
e.g
Philosophy :
The problems of philosophy by bertnard russel
What does it all mean by thomas Nagel
Economic Philosophy:
The worldly philosopher, paul hielbroner
Political Philosophy
Plato to Nato by Brain Red Head.

After reading such books that introduce a wide range of topics or people briefly, you can pick an area or a person that interests you and follow that up..

E.g Hobbes : Leviathan

About economics, It would probably be interestin to read the works of some modern day economist, Paul Krugman or John Galbraith ...

It would all depend on what you can put your hand on and how much time you have!

Best wishes!
Wow, Balliol for PPE! Isn't that one of the best things that could happen? Thanks for your advice. May what you desire come true!!!
DaKewLesT
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Chinesegirl)
Wow, Balliol for PPE! Isn't that one of the best things that could happen?

hehe ... well.. i aimed high and got lucky !
Camford
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
May I ask is this Cambridge or Oxford? If it ish Cam, then I shall be looking forward seeing you there in Oct. Why don't you fly over here to England, I'm sure you can find something to d.
DaKewLesT
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Camford)
May I ask is this Cambridge or Oxford? .
Taking account of the fact that this is a PPE related discussion , a course which is not available in Cambridge... I'm afraid she's not going to see you next october..!

I apologize for breaking the news for you... but somebody had to do it!
Chinesegirl
Rep:
?
The reality is hard, isn't it? I'd love to go to England earlier, for travelling or working, I don't care. However, I have to wait and wait because of the visa requirements. It's a lot more sophisticated than getting accepted by the uni. Well, I'm reading J S Miller's On Liberty these days. If anyone interested in sharing anything about it, welcome! I haven't quite finished it, so maybe, I'll say something later.
Chinesegirl
Rep:
?
How far away is Cambridge from Oxford? There're several ways to meet, face-to-face or online. I'd love to know you all!
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by semi)

I went to see Love Actually as well, it was so packed there! Full of interviewees!
DaKewLesT
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by aliel)
I went to see Love Actually as well, it was so packed there! Full of interviewees!
I went to see it with a friend of mine and some random gurl who was at balliol for interviews... one thing for sure, there weren't many other GUYs in there.....
ladyvice
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Chinesegirl)
The reality is hard, isn't it? I'd love to go to England earlier, for travelling or working, I don't care. However, I have to wait and wait because of the visa requirements. It's a lot more sophisticated than getting accepted by the uni. Well, I'm reading J S Miller's On Liberty these days. If anyone interested in sharing anything about it, welcome! I haven't quite finished it, so maybe, I'll say something later.
is this for fun or for background? I have a few essays on it, so PM me if these would be of any help...I can't promise they'll be great, but still...may be better than nothing!
Chinesegirl
Rep:
?
(Original post by ladyvice)
is this for fun or for background? I have a few essays on it, so PM me if these would be of any help...I can't promise they'll be great, but still...may be better than nothing!
It's just for fun... However, I found it a bit difficult... Guess I'm just not used to reading such academic essay. Thanks a lot if I could read your essays, what does "PM" mean?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (475)
66.62%
No (238)
33.38%

Watched Threads