Turn on thread page Beta

Paying parents rent watch

ReputationRep:
    I am currently making around £200 per week working full time and living at home with parents.

I pay £15 a week on travel (to and from work)

£25 a week on food (breakfast/lunch)

I pay £150 a week to my parents as "board" (bills/rent/food)

leaving me with £10 a week to spend on clothes/hobbies/socializing

I worry that at this rate I will never be able to save up and move out, I still need to learn to drive and I plan on renewing my passport and moving back to my homeland. My parents are in a comfortable position financially (just bought a new house and various other things for their "hobbies") and I do feel that I need to pay them to live with them but is £600 a month too much?

I have been paying this amount for about 4 months and it has only just started bothering me that I am working full time but have no money to spend on myself.

ReputationRep:
    you could get a flat in many parts of the country for less than that! Ask them why so much!

ReputationRep:
    yes, 75% of your wages is extortionate, i got mine down to 30%

you would probably be better off renting somewhere else, im sure it wouldnt come to more than £150 a week.

They are probably trying to nicely encourage you to move out

ReputationRep:
    You can get a room for half that. Ok, it might be seedy but you'll be more independent and able to save more. Move out.

ReputationRep:
    you give £150 a week jheezus

Might aswell get your own 1 bed flat for like 70 a week....

Given you can get a room in a houseshare for around half that amount per week it seems rather excessive. If I was living at home with my parents and working full time I wouldn't pay more than half of my wage. Can you talk to your parents about paying them less each week?

ReputationRep:
    600 a month to live at home, that is ridicolous! when you only get 800 a month..

ReputationRep:
    Woah. My older brother pays £200 a month. Which is what I'll pay once I move in with my parents and get a full time job after University (before I set myself up). £200 a week is way too much.

ReputationRep:
    Geeze that's a lot! I live with my partner in a 2 bed house for around 600 rent per month, maybe you should have a discussion with them about the fact that if they laid off the rent for a few months you could save up enough to move out? You'd probably end up better off if you got a small place (bear in mind cost of bills tho).

You pay your parents rent... 0_o

ReputationRep:
    Woahhhhh, I'm all for helping out with the bills when you're old enough to not be leeching off of your parents but for them to be pretty much making a profit off of you? You could rent somewhere for less than that!

ReputationRep:
    Way too much :no: you could probably move out with that much!

ReputationRep:
    O wow, your parents are harsh :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    The thing is I would be happy to pay this much if I knew how to drive, are they trying to force me out of the house before I have saved anything up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurshu)
    I have been paying this amount for about 4 months and it has only just started bothering me that I am working full time but have no money to spend on myself.
    I pay £400 a month rent on a 2 bed flat that my parents brought me, plus ~£150 on bills. I'd say your over paying by a lot!

ReputationRep:
    You could rent a room for less than that. I spend about £110 per week for all rent, bills and food and this is in Guildford which is quite expensive.

ReputationRep:
    What the other posters have said. What you are paying your parents is extortionate, if you don't mind my saying so, and it would save you quite a lot of money to actually move out of their house now and rent a room elsewhere. I myself paid my parents rent from the moment I began working, but somebody contributing more than £200 a month (assuming they are on a relatively low salary and their parents are financially comfortable) would strike me as strange.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why some people pay their parents rent. I mean they're your parents for god's sake. Help pay the bills or give them lump sums every now and then maybe, but a regular formalised rent is just going too far into transforming it into a business relationship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cactussed)
    I don't understand why some people pay their parents rent. I mean they're your parents for god's sake. Help pay the bills or give them lump sums every now and then maybe, but a regular formalised rent is just going too far into transforming it into a business relationship.
    Grow up kid.
    Pay your way or ship out.

ReputationRep:
    Your parents are harsh.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.