Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are you kidding me?! You say your parents are financially comfortable yet are charging you £600 a month for food, rent and utilities? I seriously doubt that your usage matches the amount they are charging you. Frankly I find it appalling they think it's OK to take that much money from you. Any decent parent, especially one financially untroubled, would perhaps take money from you for food but that is all. I am disgusted.

I have managed to talk them down to £100 per week which is a bit more reasonable, and it was not too difficult to do so I may be able to get it lower.

I start a new job soon where I will be making a little over 23k per annum so I should be able to start saving to get my licence and then moving back to Australia (Where I am sure my mother will let me stay with her for free for a while). I think my dad has been so harsh on me because I dropped out of uni after passing my first year and I went through a bad period of sitting around doing nothing (part time job at Mcdonalds), and I find it quite funny that I am now starting a job making nearly as much as he is (a few K under) at less than half his age.

£100 a week is still full London rent for a bed-sit/flat-share, I find it quite bizarre that you are paying that much... if your dad is being harsh just move out
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.