Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hey there, i think i may be suffering from depression, as i've taken the online tests and most results reveal this to be the case, however i know that the tests shouldn't be taken as serious, but i believe i may be suffering from this disorder.

After reading up on ways to get help, i read that to see a psychiatrist i have to get referred to by my GP. My problem is that i don't want my parents knowing about this, as they will be annoyed, as i'm currently trying to revise for summer exams and they won't be able to sympathise.

Is there anyway of seeing a psychiatrist without needing to be referred to by my GP.

As my gp is friends with my parents, there's no way i can just go to her myself.

Any help is appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    How old are you? Your GP isn't allowed to tell your parents if you come to see them- patient confidentiality 101. Alternatively, you could always ask to see a different doctor if it is really worrying you.

ReputationRep:
    Don't sacrifice your wellbeing for your parents finding out - see your G.P and discuss a referral to a psychiatrist, do express that you want what you discuss with her to be kept private.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest in my experience of NHS psychiatrists all they really do is prescribe drugs. What exactly are you wanting done about your depression? If you want antidepressants, then your GP or a psychiatrist can help. If you want talking therapy then you can see various people, including psychologists and psychiatric nurses. Either way, the simplest way to get referred to someone is to go through your GP. You could also research mental health charities such as MIND in your local area. Or if you're in education see if a counselling service is offered.

ReputationRep:
    As superwolf said, if you think you are experiencing depression you should see your GP. In most cases your GP will be able to help you with the options available. These could include medication, counselling, exercise (I'm not even joking), psychology and referral to other services if needed.
    It's worth asking about IAPT - Improving Access to Psychological Therapies - if you think a talking therapy is the way to go.

If you really can't talk to your GP, you might try ringing NHS Direct on 0845 46 47.

Best of luck
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Your GP will usually start treatment and only refer you on if there is no change/things get worse.
    Is there another GP at the surgery you could see? If not, they can't break confidentiality anyway. You could always ring and check first, before you make an appointment.

ReputationRep:
    see a different GP.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.