Turn on thread page Beta

depression and university watch

• PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've applied for an appointment with the school's counselling service but they still have not gotten back to me and its been months
    The letter would need to be from a medical/mental health professional, so it would be worth going to see your GP, if you feel you can. They will probably ask you to do a short tick-box questionnaire and ask you a bit about your mood and thoughts recently, as well as general health things (exercise, drug and alcohol abuse, etc).

It's also helpful to go to GPs because what they say goes and uni can't really ignore a medical note/certificate. My GP wrote to my college to tell them to stop being such muppets and though they didn't like it, they had little choice but to oblige :yes:

Get back to the counselling service and tell them how long you've been waiting and check you're still on the list. Some of these services have long waiting lists :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    fear of failure but i've had these feelings since I was 15 and recently ive had suicidal thoughts
    In all respect, you don't seem to have depression but sound as if you're not enjoying uni. just because you fear failure and have recently had suicidal thoughts doesn't mean you have depression. It's much deeper than that. Depression affects you much worse. But what do I know? For all I know there could be many, many factors you're not telling us, and I respect that.

I'm simply saying at the moment it doesn't sound as if you have depression.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asiko)
    In all respect, you don't seem to have depression but sound as if you're not enjoying uni. just because you fear failure and have recently had suicidal thoughts doesn't mean you have depression. It's much deeper than that. Depression affects you much worse. But what do I know? For all I know there could be many, many factors you're not telling us, and I respect that.

I'm simply saying at the moment it doesn't sound as if you have depression.
    You can't tell if a person has or hasn't got depression over the internet! Just because the 'reason' the give is something a lot of people experience doesn't mean it can't cause different reactions in different people.
    Some people don't need a large trigger!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChelseyElla)
    You can't tell if a person has or hasn't got depression over the internet! Just because the 'reason' the give is something a lot of people experience doesn't mean it can't cause different reactions in different people.
    Some people don't need a large trigger!
    I know that!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.