Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I had three PGCE interviews this year of which I got none of them. When my final choice ran out of places I decided to make other plans. I wasn't even really sure teaching was for me - it was mainly my parent's choice and seemed like a good idea. I now want to go into social work and will start applications for a masters next years. Unfortunately my mother urged me to pick one more place and I did and I've been offered another PGCE interview. I'm not sure I want to go now. I keep thinking that I ought to but it seems like unecessary expense, effort and travel arrangements only to be turned down by yet another university. Or there's the possibility I'll get a place but then not really want to be a teacher - I now am really excited about the social work thing.

Some input would be nice... Any comments appreciated

ReputationRep:
    if its not what you want to do, dont do it. you're an adult. dont let your parents push you into a career that you're not happy in, it is your life after all. and whatever choice you make now you're gonna have to live with for the rest of your life (potentially). so do what you want to do and what you feel is right for you.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I think you're right there. I don't want to just play around with other people's chances who may actually really want to go into teaching. And also there's the probability that if I get on the course chances are I'll end up dropping out as I really don't want to teach. I am going to turn down the interview. Of course I foresee huge rows on the horizon with the parental authority but then, it's my decision.

Thanks for the reponses!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.