Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So what age would you like to get married then? If at all... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Meh, probably won't get married.
    If I were I'd probably want to around 21? Purely because I would have been with my boyfriend 6 years then and I want my little one to be all cute at my wedding...lol.

ReputationRep:
    I am shocked at how many people want to get married and have kids before they are 30! How can anyone have a solid career, where they want to be, have a kid, and be married all within under 10 years if you just started uni! Insanity!!

ReputationRep:
    Never, marriage is pointless.

ReputationRep:
    I want to get married sometime between 25 and 27. I think 28 is kind of my upper limit for starting to have babies so I need to be married by the time I'm 27!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by saiwa)
    I am shocked at how many people want to get married and have kids before they are 30! How can anyone have a solid career, where they want to be, have a kid, and be married all within under 10 years if you just started uni! Insanity!!
    Biological clock Career can wait, having kids can't.

(Original post by Lantana)
    Biological clock Career can wait, having kids can't.
    But if you have kids, that's a lifelong commitment. How can you fully commit to your career then?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by im so academic)
    But if you have kids, that's a lifelong commitment. How can you fully commit to your career then?
    I fully intend to work to live than the other way round. Also, if we go to the extreme, are you saying anyone with kids no matter if they're 18+ and left home will interfere with working so much that you can't hold down a job :confused:

(Original post by Lantana)
    I fully intend to work to live than the other way round. Also, if we go to the extreme, are you saying anyone with kids no matter if they're 18+ and left home will interfere with working so much that you can't hold down a job :confused:
    You have to admit. If you have children, you wouldn't be able to spend as much time as you might like on your job, would you?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by im so academic)
    You have to admit. If you have children, you wouldn't be able to spend as much time as you might like on your job, would you?
    Willingly (until my hypothetical children leave home), but that's because of where my priorities lie. I think my future job will demand as much as it can take anyhow, so you have to put boundaries in anyhow.

If I'm still with my boyfriend in two years time, he's told me he will properly propose when I'm eighteen with a view to getting married not long after that, but we are already talking about moving in together in a few years time when we're both earning reasonable money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss_p)
    What do you mean "don't believe" in it?
    i don't really see the point in having some piece of paper to show someone you love them. it just has so many connotations of being boring! and having grown up in my parents' loveless marriage, i wonder if they hadn't been married, would they have found someone else that could have made them happier?

ReputationRep:
    People are talking like they have already completed all their objectives espicially the girls. On one side these girls want a bright career that pays well and on the other side they want to get married and have kids before 25? Sounds like koo-koo land to me.

Do they even realise that by the time they complete their degrees and get a well paid job which can actually support a family unit is very unlikely before the age of 30? A nice house in posh area with top notch schools within catchment and a brand new Beema can't be bought from poundland.

With the cost of living expenses going up rapidly, life is generally getting harder. Just take the rise in tuition fees, fuel and insurance as a good example.

ReputationRep:
    Before I die

ReputationRep:
    Maybe mid 20s but before I'm 30 hopefully .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina_xxx)
    marriage = lifes over
    This. I know there's some positives to being married but I don't ever want to be. Who knows, maybe when I find that special someone I'll feel differently though.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully around the age of 27/28 ... but I've still to meet this hypothetical husband of mine! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4ttari)
    People are talking like they have already completed all their objectives espicially the girls. On one side these girls want a bright career that pays well and on the other side they want to get married and have kids before 25? Sounds like koo-koo land to me.

Do they even realise that by the time they complete their degrees and get a well paid job which can actually support a family unit is very unlikely before the age of 30? A nice house in posh area with top notch schools within catchment and a brand new Beema can't be bought from poundland.

With the cost of living expenses going up rapidly, life is generally getting harder. Just take the rise in tuition fees, fuel and insurance as a good example.
    Sense.

ReputationRep:
    will probably live with someone; doubt i'll get married
    pagan ceremonies have no place in my life

ReputationRep:
    I used to say I'd never get married.

Then I grew up a little bit, n also seeing my parents split (not married) and how messy it was financially I think if I meet someone nice enough I will.

My ex used to talk about us marrying. we were together nearly 4 years n i'd started to think that for us it would be silly because the earliest i'd marry would be 25 (earliest) and then we'd have been together 8 years which seemed ridiculous :P. why bother after that long!

but now that i'm feeling a bit cynical about love I think why bother at all. probably from 27...and not too old, wouldn't bother after a certain age.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully I'll be married before 2020 (preferably aged 27) and have two awesome children by 2025. Yep I have my life pretty much mapped out

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.