Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is this still possible? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was taking AS Bio, Chem, Maths and Psychology last year and got BCDE. The E was in Chem and the D was in Bio. Maths was C.

I then left that college and went to a new one to study A2 Psych and Maths and AS Englit and History

But I think I want to be a doctor now. Is there anything I can do now or do I have to give up and study something else in uni now?

ReputationRep:
    bump?

ReputationRep:
    you need straight As + chemistry (you can get into medicine without biology though)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmakh123)
    you need straight As + chemistry (you can get into medicine without biology though)

Guess that's not gonna happen then.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paniking_and_not_revising)
    Guess that's not gonna happen then.

Thanks.
    Medicine is very competitive and you will need straight As and, whats more, Universities like you to get these grades in one sitting. It is a bit of a shame, as the best grades don't always indicate the best doctors, but that's the way it is. The fact that you havn't achieved these gardes doesn't necessarily mean your dream is over though. If you're really serious and passionate about becoming a doctor, re-sit your a levels to get A grades - or as many As as possible as this will be a big factor later - and then apply to university to do a science based course (you will probably need Biology, but not necessarily, you'll have to do soem research). After you have your degree (at at least a 2:1, if you get 'poorer' grades at A level a 1st will put you at an either better stead) you could then apply for Graduate entry medicine. It can be done if this is really what you want to do, but it will take longer for you to get there.

I don't know if this is still running, but there was a science course at Newcastle University whereby, if you did really well (REALLY well) you could then transfer to medicine after your first year.

It is possible, best of luck

(Original post by -Dragonfly-)
    Medicine is very competitive and you will need straight As and, whats more, Universities like you to get these grades in one sitting. It is a bit of a shame, as the best grades don't always indicate the best doctors, but that's the way it is. The fact that you havn't achieved these gardes doesn't necessarily mean your dream is over though. If you're really serious and passionate about becoming a doctor, re-sit your a levels to get A grades - or as many As as possible as this will be a big factor later - and then apply to university to do a science based course (you will probably need Biology, but not necessarily, you'll have to do soem research). After you have your degree (at at least a 2:1, if you get 'poorer' grades at A level a 1st will put you at an either better stead) you could then apply for Graduate entry medicine. It can be done if this is really what you want to do, but it will take longer for you to get there.

I don't know if this is still running, but there was a science course at Newcastle University whereby, if you did really well (REALLY well) you could then transfer to medicine after your first year.

The same also happens at St Georges. OP could apply for BSc Biomedical Science and then transfer to Medicine (but of course, she has to do well).

http://www.sgul.ac.uk/undergraduate/...-into-medicine

Having said that she needs to have BBB at A-level including Biology and Chemistry.

http://www.sgul.ac.uk/undergraduate/...y-requirements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Dragonfly-)

I know about it being competitive and needing straight A's. That's what makes me very nervous.

Thank you. I swear, I would be ****ed if it wasn't for TSR sometimes!

(Original post by im so academic)
    The same also happens at St Georges. OP could apply for BSc Biomedical Science and then transfer to Medicine (but of course, she has to do well).

http://www.sgul.ac.uk/undergraduate/...-into-medicine

Having said that she needs to have BBB at A-level including Biology and Chemistry.

http://www.sgul.ac.uk/undergraduate/...y-requirements
    Ah thanks! I'll look into that.

I'll see what I can do.

Maybe I should go to the career's adviser.

ReputationRep:
    Medicine is a lot to get through, not saying you can't do it but you need to be 100% sure you are going to be motivated over 6+ years, just really think about it. But if you're extremely passionate, don't let anything stop you

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.