Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I decided on a whim this year to apply for history of art at university. The main reason for this was because I got pretty poor AS grades and felt like I could do nothing else. I eventually convinced myself into thinking it's what I wanted to do, but more and more over the last 3 or 4 months I realise it's not my true passion.

I have wanted to study History for the longest amount of time, however this dream was crushed when I got to AS Level and ended up with a D admittedly the fault was on my part, I didn't do enough revision.Cutting a long story short I applied for art history, re took my entire AS Level history in January and got a B, Although I was one mark off an A in one of them so will be retaking on of the papers again in June to achieve it.

So I'm asking for advice, should I contact unis now or wait until results? I feel like if I do it now I could jeopardise my places completely and not end up anywhere, but if I wait there's a chance with history being so competitive Id be stuck doing history of art, dropping out and paying 9 grand.

so what's the best option?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tillytots)
    I decided on a whim this year to apply for history of art at university. The main reason for this was because I got pretty poor AS grades and felt like I could do nothing else. I eventually convinced myself into thinking it's what I wanted to do, but more and more over the last 3 or 4 months I realise it's not my true passion.

I have wanted to study History for the longest amount of time, however this dream was crushed when I got to AS Level and ended up with a D admittedly the fault was on my part, I didn't do enough revision.Cutting a long story short I applied for art history, re took my entire AS Level history in January and got a B, Although I was one mark off an A in one of them so will be retaking on of the papers again in June to achieve it.

So I'm asking for advice, should I contact unis now or wait until results? I feel like if I do it now I could jeopardise my places completely and not end up anywhere, but if I wait there's a chance with history being so competitive Id be stuck doing history of art, dropping out and paying 9 grand.

Email UEA or wherever now and see if they will let you change course, it could be too late on results day.

ReputationRep:
    x?
    Email all of the universities now and ask if they will reconsider you for history. Give them details of your January exam results and get your school to confirm that your predicted grade has risen significantly. You should offer to send them a new PS so that they can reconsider you properly, and you won't lose your original offer by asking them to do this You can also contact UCL if you want and ask them if they'd reconsider your application.

Some might tell you that it isn't possible to know until they have a better idea of who has confirmed them as firm/insurance, others might say they can't do anything until the summer but there will be others who will happily reconsider you providing they still have places. I know from helping people on TSR that UEA have reconsidered people for history courses in the past. You might find that with all of the universities they say no to straight history as it might already be closed, but joint honours courses tend to be less popular (or say for ancient history etc) which you could also consider as an option.

ReputationRep:

Changing your Mind might be helpful too

ReputationRep:
    Other people have what to do covered, so I'd like to make a point about this - if you missed an A at AS by one mark, don't retake and overload yourself in exams. Unless you're going to be getting exactly A on everything, you'll make that mark up somewhere in the A2 exams.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all of the advice! I have emailed all my universities today, so hopefully I should get some positive replies!

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.