Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I started self-harming when I was around 15 and I'm now 18. However, I managed to stop for around 7 months (there may have been one or two isolated incidents during that period but I basically stopped cold turkey). I thought I was over my self injury as, until recently, I didn't even get urges any more and had managed to get through some really tough situations without resorting to it. But two days ago I started again.

I don't know if I'll just eventually stop getting the urges like last time or if I should get help before I become really addicted to it again. I've never told anyone about it and I still don't want to tell my friends or family. The school counsellor is not really an option either as all of my teachers and some of my friends would find out (they say its private but everyone ends up finding out who's seeing the counsellor). I've also tried the Samaritans but didn't really feel like they helped me very much and I'm not very close to my doctor either and wouldn't feel confident telling him about my self harm. I don't even know if anyone would consider the problem serious because I've never been hospitalised for it, I've just got scars on the tops of my thighs.

Should I seek help and if so who should I go to besides from the people mentioned above?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you should!
    The person to go to is your gp who will refer you to a counsellor.
    Definitely get some help, it is a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely get some help as its something you want to get on top of before it takes hold again.

It might be worth seeing your school nurse even thought you said you didn't want to, i found it very useful and they didn't tell anyone at school anything. If its seeing the school counsellor maybe you should ask to be referred to one outside of school? One i see is not involved in school so even though i see her in school people don't know who she is.

Hope you can get some help

Go to your GP and tell him you have a self harm issue. Don't make yourself dig out reasons (especially when asked 'but why do you to that to yourself?') if you don't have any that you can immediately answer. Tell him that you would like a referral to a psychiatrist if possible. This may take up a month.

You're 18 so you're an adult now. It is your private matter and you don't have to feel trapped by your family, friends and teachers' collective opinion of you. If anything they should respect that and be glad that you took the step to fix it on your own. You have great personal strength to confront your problem, you're already a step closer to being the best part of yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Telling your doctor would probably be the best idea (if you don't feel comfortable telling that particular doctor you can always request to see another). If you don't want to do that you could see if there are any mental health charities in your area that could help. If you happen to live in Manchester I know there's one called 42nd Street (not to be confused with the club of the same name) which is aimed specifically at young people with mental health problems.

ReputationRep:
    I would definatly seek help. I know it's not an easy thing to do, I really do. But getting help was the best thing I did.
    As for who to tell, I guess that depends on who would be easiest to tell at first. I told my doctor because I knew I felt safest with her and she would understand. There are alot of websites and helplines which can offer good advice and support.
    I wish you all the best and I hope you get the help you need.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with everyone saying go see your doctor. Even if you do quit by yourself, it'll keep coming back every now and then. You wont have actually changed the situation, just stalled it.

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    The mere fact that you are asking on here means that you feel you have a problem that needs dealing with. And in a way, by posting here, you already are seeking help - which is very much a good thing!

There's lots of sources of support for people in your (our) position - it's just finding one that's suitable for you. That's why I'm inclined to agree with everyone who says go to your GP. He or she will be aware of what's available in your area.

An alternative, if you really can't face seeing your doctor, try and talk about it with a mature, responsible person whom you can trust. Could be a teacher, youth worker, family member, or maybe a close friend of the family. I know you are 18, and not a child, but you could also give ChildLine a try. It's free and available to anyone under the age of 25 I believe.

A couple of useful links:
    Childine - Self Harm Information
    Mind - About Self Harm

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.