Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Me and my boyfriend have been together for almost 2 years, and this September, we both began applying to University. We agreed that we would try for the Unis that were best for us, regardless of how far away from each other they were, but we both purposely went for a University in London, in hope that we'd both end up there. He's very talented, so we had high hopes that he'd get accepted for the course he was going for in London, and that in any case, this would be easier no matter where I ended up, as London is a midpoint with all trains through it etc. And visa versa, if I ended up in London but he didn't, that would still be pretty good.

Our plan backfired, and we both got rejected from that London Uni and now the shortest distance that we could end up from each other, based on the offers that we have is at least 6 hours.

I know that to some people this isn't tragic, and I've seen the slating that's been going on about what actually qualifies as 'long-distance', but he is not just my boyfriend. He's my best friend. We've spent almost every waking minute together since the day I met him. I also know that this whole thing sounds like the typical 'naive' schoolgirl view on life, but the thought of not being able to see him, and being that far away from him, makes me feel incredibly lost.

Are there any Uni students out there who have managed to make their long-distance relationships last over Uni-life? Any advice? There's no question of re-applying because neither of us want the new fees.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I have friends who are 5 hours apart. You just need to sort out when to see each other and make sure you both travel equally and alternately. Split travel costs. Try to talk to each other on skype frequently but don't let it get in the way of making new friends.

And trust! You both have to assure each other so much that you won't cheat under any circumstances (and make sure you define what you think cheating is).

I've done long-distance (unfortunately to a complete ****) and you'll find that one person is far more resilient than the other, it'll probably depend on how happy you are at Uni.

Also, webcam sex.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    my ex bf went to university went to uni about four hours away from me, and we managed to see eachother like every weekend. You can make it work.

ReputationRep:
    I live near Newcastle, and my boyfriend is at Uni at the Univerisity of Exeter, Cornwall Campus. That's over 350 miles, and 9 hours on the train.

Somehow it still works.

We actually initially decided to break up because of the distance, but it was horrible, and we got back together at Christmas. He came up for my Feb half term (luckily timetabling meant he didn't miss any seminars), and he's back for a month at Easter, and we'll have all summer together

Basically what I'm saying is, as long as you understand things are going to be different, and that there might be rough patches or times when you realise that they need space or you can't talk exactly when you want to or whatever, you can make them work. Communication is key though. Not just like texts, but proper calls and skype and the occasional letters are good

ReputationRep:
    If you both put the effort in, it can work!

ReputationRep:
    If you trust one another, you'll be fine.

I lasted the whole 3 years of Uni with my boyfriend a good 4 hours away in full time work; (so he hated how much time i spent working, out with friends etc!) but we made it work.

You'll end up appreciating the time you do spend together and it makes it even more special.

ReputationRep:
    We're a 7-8+ hour coach ride apart. Still see each other every month though. Call each other every night. Everything is still really great. :love: And of course holidays we see each other most days of the week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RahRah09)
    Yes I have friends who are 5 hours apart. You just need to sort out when to see each other and make sure you both travel equally and alternately. Split travel costs. Try to talk to each other on skype frequently but don't let it get in the way of making new friends.

And trust! You both have to assure each other so much that you won't cheat under any circumstances (and make sure you define what you think cheating is).

I've done long-distance (unfortunately to a complete ****) and you'll find that one person is far more resilient than the other, it'll probably depend on how happy you are at Uni.

Also, webcam sex.

Good luck!
    Totally agree.

Unfortunately me and my long distance broke up after 3 n half years together, most of which was long distance. But it can work. and we worked for quite a long time.

SO agree that one person will be more resilient. In 2nd year it was probably my ex, but he fell apart in 3rd year and blamed the distance. I don't know but it's damn hard.

I really do think if you love him you should try though.

and I don't think you're pathetic for saying that. I felt lost when me and my ex broke up, and he was my best friend- still miss him so much- but I know even planning for distance is hard, just make sure u plan lots of things to do together and make the most of the time you have when you are in the same place.

ALSO don't put too much pressure on eachother. like with phoning n stuff, make an effort but don't worry if some days you dont have so much to say as other times. I know when I had loads of work on I was rubbish at the communication as was he, but it was nothing to do with the other person it was just work, and when you call everyday sometimes you are just gonna have nothing of interest to say!

best of luck i really hope it works out for you guys

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.