Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So i purchased a car from auction today.... watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tofufi)
    Good job the 1.0 corsa weighs well under a tonne then...

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/...px?deriv=24049

I agree with JC, not a bad engine really.

If you call 53kg WELL under

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Landie_Man)
    If you call 53kg WELL under
    Once you sit in it it'll be over a tonne!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fruit_n_veg)
    You obviously know very little about driving cars. My last car had a direct injection diesel engine with only 90hp and it was way quicker in real terms than the 112hp petrol car I have now, even if you account for the new car being a bit heavier. Plus at 17 you'll be lucky to get insured on anything with a lawnmower sized engine - I had a 1.0 Citroen AX for my first car and that cost loads to insure in 2005!
    I can't believe you on that one, 90bhp vs 112.... the only factor that would be relevant is power/weight ratio...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    I can't believe you on that one, 90bhp vs 112.... the only factor that would be relevant is power/weight ratio...
    That's an absolute load of horse ****. The diesel has loads more torque than the petrol and most of it avaliable at low revs, as opposed to the petrol which has less torque and it coming across the rev range. In fact, power to weight ratio is pretty pointless in everyday cars in my opinion. I'm almost questioning if you've ever driven a car before.

ReputationRep:
    Cut your losses, do it up... chin up old chap.

ReputationRep:
    That's an absolute load of horse ****. The diesel has loads more torque than the petrol and most of it avaliable at low revs, as opposed to the petrol which has less torque and it coming across the rev range. In fact, power to weight ratio is pretty pointless in everyday cars in my opinion. I'm almost questioning if you've ever driven a car before.
    The diesel doesn't have a lot more torque, of course it has more, but it won't have a lot more.

How is it pointless. Honda civic VTi can beat a SRT4 in a drag race yet it has nearly 70 bhp more.... power to weight ratio...

ReputationRep:
    The diesel doesn't have a lot more torque, of course it has more, but it won't have a lot more.

How is it pointless. Honda civic VTi can beat a SRT4 in a drag race yet it has nearly 70 bhp more.... power to weight ratio...
    Old car: Peugeot RHY Diesel Engine - 90hp/205Nm torque
    New car: Peugeot LFY Petrol Engine - 112hp/150Nm torque

On a normal car, that's a big difference and you've discounted the fact the torque comes at the best time for everyday driving i.e. low revs.

Just to confirm you really don't understand you've cited a completely pointless example - you don't drag race on public roads. You stop-start all the time or trying to negotiate A-roads where there's someone faffing roung at 40mph or cruising on a motorway. I can honestly say I haven't been doing much drag racing recently nor has anyone else nearby for that matter.

ReputationRep:
    Old car: Peugeot RHY Diesel Engine - 90hp/205Nm torque
    New car: Peugeot LFY Petrol Engine - 112hp/150Nm torque

On a normal car, that's a big difference and you've discounted the fact the torque comes at the best time for everyday driving i.e. low revs.

Just to confirm you really don't understand you've cited a completely pointless example - you don't drag race on public roads. You stop-start all the time or trying to negotiate A-roads where there's someone faffing roung at 40mph or cruising on a motorway. I can honestly say I haven't been doing much drag racing recently nor has anyone else nearby for that matter.
    I'm talking about speed though. Hence why I said nothing less than 100bhp. Now 205Nm torque is 100% going to be quicker to 60, but it doesn't have the speed. And how the **** wants a car that sounds liek a truck and revs to 5K.

ReputationRep:
    I'm talking about speed though. Hence why I said nothing less than 100bhp. Now 205Nm torque is 100% going to be quicker to 60, but it doesn't have the speed. And how the **** wants a car that sounds liek a truck and revs to 5K.
    No, I don't like diesels either, but they are quicker in the real world.

What you think is that roads are some kind of racetrack and that you're going to be racing round like something out of The Fast and the Furious. Well I'll tell you this - there's not many places you can do that any more without ending up in court or in an accident.

I'm not going to say anything else, save to apologise for hi-jacking the thread. You got a lot of growing up to do before you start driving.

I could never drive a 1.0

eugh lack of power
    Haha I agree with this. I test drove a 1ltr a few years ago, and the poor car struggled to make the hill on test drive! lol Kindly told the ''car dealer'' thanks but no thanks! Apparently the car was on the forecourt for months (i'm not surprised!)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 29, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.