Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

I've been a contributor here for a while now and have tried to help out where I can both publicly and privately. It has been very satisfying to see some people move on in their driving career.

I now need to ask you for your comments and I hope the moderators will consider that this is still a driving question and not move it somewhere away from the target audience.

I am struggling at the moment, personally (not something for divulging here) and professionally, as an instructor. I don't have a lot of business and this week I have actually had more people cancel than have lessons. Some of these have been new pupils who, for their own reasons, have simply not materialised. My drop-out rate has been very high right from when I started in this business and I think I know why.

I am transsexual. I don't think it should make any difference but I am now beginning to wonder whether it does. So many times I have first lessons with people for them never to return. Sometimes I book lessons with new pupils, only for them not to even turn up. I look okay on the whole but my voice is deeper than it should be and it lets me down, particularly on the phone. In terms of instruction, I think I am pretty good and some pupils have remained loyal. However, it doesn't change the fact that something is causing many people to either not turn up or cancel.

Due to the lack of business I am now seriously considering giving up a profession that I love, much to my huge regret.

So the question is simple. What would your reaction be?

Please be honest - I'm sure you will be.

Thanks

Emma

ReputationRep:
    Although if i'm being honest, it would be a bit weird at first, if you're a good teacher, and not overly expensive, then i wouldn't have had a problem learning with you

ReputationRep:
    I personally wouldn't bat an eyelid. Your personal life doesn't involve nor effect me in any way, you would be simply teaching me how to drive. Nothing more, nothing less.

ReputationRep:
    Can i book a driving lesson?

ReputationRep:
    It's a shame, the industry you work in relies on the youth market. Unfortunately many of them haven't got the maturity to look past the fact you are a transsexual.

From the little I know driving instructors rely heavily on word of mouth, maybe offer some incentives for referring other friends.

ReputationRep:
    What do you expect though? As people have said with the work mostly coming from us younger people, of course a lot of people will be put off. Not much you can do really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma-Ashley)
    Hi All,

I've been a contributor here for a while now and have tried to help out where I can both publicly and privately. It has been very satisfying to see some people move on in their driving career.

I now need to ask you for your comments and I hope the moderators will consider that this is still a driving question and not move it somewhere away from the target audience.

I am struggling at the moment, personally (not something for divulging here) and professionally, as an instructor. I don't have a lot of business and this week I have actually had more people cancel than have lessons. Some of these have been new pupils who, for their own reasons, have simply not materialised. My drop-out rate has been very high right from when I started in this business and I think I know why.

I am transsexual. I don't think it should make any difference but I am now beginning to wonder whether it does. So many times I have first lessons with people for them never to return. Sometimes I book lessons with new pupils, only for them not to even turn up. I look okay on the whole but my voice is deeper than it should be and it lets me down, particularly on the phone. In terms of instruction, I think I am pretty good and some pupils have remained loyal. However, it doesn't change the fact that something is causing many people to either not turn up or cancel.

Due to the lack of business I am now seriously considering giving up a profession that I love, much to my huge regret.

Thanks

Emma
    It wouldn't bother me- as long as you were a good instructor and I got on with you well, it wouldn't matter. It is something that can bother other people though.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I'd probably be like "Hmmm...." then shrug and get on with it, as long as your not charging me high prices and are being helpful and teaching me effectively to become a good, safe and confident driver I'd stay with you.

Are you sure they're putting it down to you being a transexual, my instuctor wasn't getting much business either and warned me he might have to quit as he was getting no work. Could just be down to people not being able to afford to take lessons?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't have a problem, especially seeing some of the posts you've made.
    The amount of rogue/frankly terrible independent driving instructors where I live is awful, i'd be glad to find someone who sounds like they know what they're talking about, regardless of gender or transsexuality.
    Having a good teacher is far, far more important than your appearance/personal life in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't have a problem in the slightest. (Although I'm massively genderqueer/trans myself, so obviously I'm biased :awesome:) It'd actually be quite nice to have a driving instructor who wasn't massively sexist and homophobic - I don't drive myself as I can't medically and I can't afford it anyway, but a lot of people I know have very, very discriminatory instructors.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't really care, I'd honestly be so much more interested in learning to drive.
    Don't give up what you want to do

ReputationRep:
    Honestly there's still a massive stigma attached with being transsexual. Driving instructors have to be very personally compatible as they're sitting with you in a car for 2 or more hours regularly. I think that most younger people (I honestly wouldn't) wouldn't really know what to think just from a lack of knowledge rather than an actual prejudice. Perhaps, if you think the reason you're having trouble keeping students is your transsexuality then you could give cheaper first few lessons because you sound like you know what you're on about and once students realise this then they'll be more inclined to stay with you.

ReputationRep:
    They changed their minds on who they wanted to instruct them just as you changed your mind on what gender you wanted to be.

Honestly, I personally would be feel uncomfortable with it. Nothing to do with you, more to do with the fact that I'm a firm believer that we should stay as nature intended and not cosmetically alter our bodies in anyway. However, you chose to do so, and that is your own independent choice, which I respect.

Its probably more to do with the economic climate and the fact that companies such as BSM are offering deals plus they are well known, so most people will go with the obvious reputable company.

I certainly wouldn't go to these pathetic extremes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...each-wife.html

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't bother me at all, and no other normal person should be bothered by it either. The reason people would quit lessons with you is if they are insecure about themselves, so I say stick at it. Keep doing what you love, and the more you do, the more business you will pick up because word will spread and you'll get a good reputation. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't bother me, but then that is my opinion at 23, it might have been very different at 17, although I doubt it.

What is more important is price and the quality of service. I found my driving instructor through word of mouth and then doing some lessons at 16 on a private track with him, before he taught me how to drive on the roads at 17. I passed my test a month after my 17th B'day.

The private track was the TRL near Farnborough, I am sure there are others around the country and it is a good way to get people interested in driving early and learn in a less formal, stressful environment as there is plenty of space and no other cars to worry about!

Graham

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't bother me at all, but I'm quite active in my local LGBT so I don't know how representative I am :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Personally it would put me off :/

ReputationRep:
    As long as you didn't try to use the ladies' toilets on a rest break, I wouldn't care.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Honestly - personally, I would make awful jokes like that, at least for a while, but I have some eccentric family and it isn't the strangest thing I've come across. The nudist funeral, that was weird.

So I'd actually be all right with it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Emma-Ashley)
    Hi All,

Thanks

Emma
    To be honest, i wouldnt really bat an eyelid. If you are a good instructor (which you sound like you are) and your prices are reasonable, then i dont see a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, yeah it would put me off.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.