Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically I have created a thread previously asking if I was or wasnt a "home" student.
    Since then i have been in contact with my chosen universities and they have ALL told me that under their systems I am listed as a UK/Home Student for financial purposes.
    One saying that if student finance gives me trouble i could apply under dual recidency.
    Anyway i was about to start doing the forms today but when you get the first set of questions to asses if your able to get the loans it asks if you have been living in the EU other than UK) for 3 years prior or something like that.
    Anyway i tick yes as i have only been in the UK for 2 years and it declines me saying i have to fill in the paper forms.
    So i ask, does this mean that i wont even be able to try to get the maintenance loans?

ReputationRep:
    probably
    It is SFE who determine your entitlement to funding, not the universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    probably
    It is SFE who determine your entitlement to funding, not the universities.
    Wait a minute I might be reading this wrong.
    does this
    Have you been living in a country of the EEA (European Economic Area) other than the UK for the three years immediately before the start of your course, and are not considered to be one of the following:
    Mean that in the last 3 years ( >2008) you havent lived in the UK?
    I have been living here since 2009

ReputationRep:
    then you don't qualify.
    2009 - 2010 - 2011 is 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    then you don't qualify.
    2009 - 2010 - 2011 is 2 years.
    I am also applying for dual residency as one of the Unis have suggested I would probably fall under that.

But i just want to know if what the question i posted is asking if i have lived the total of 3 years prior to the course in UK or if i have lived all 3 years outside of UK
    Mainly as I want to know if i can do it online or if i have to do it through the post

ReputationRep:
    Your uni may charge you home fees but it does not mean that you will meet the residency requirement for funding - that is up to SFE

You have no choice but to apply on paper as suggested and ask your uni for some help with your application as in what residence evidence you should include?

Only those that automatically meet the residence rules can go through teh on line system - everyone else will be scrutinised more closely to make sure they are eligible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssvlcond)
    Your uni may charge you home fees but it does not mean that you will meet the residency requirement for funding - that is up to SFE

You have no choice but to apply on paper as suggested and ask your uni for some help with your application as in what residence evidence you should include?

Only those that automatically meet the residence rules can go through teh on line system - everyone else will be scrutinised more closely to make sure they are eligible.
    Hmm yea i guess that makes sence, btw any clue on how long it takes for them to decide on what loans you can get?
    I havent made my firm choice yet as my choice really depends on how much i get as to how far i can move from home

Also any idea if you are able to get university bursaries if you do it by post?
    All the universities i have seen say to tick the box that says share details with university but surely if im doing it by post im not doing the means tested bit

ReputationRep:
    You can only get considered for bursaries through an income assessed loan where your parents' income is considered. Most means tested bursaries are only available to students whose families earn less than £25K a year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.