The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Archaeology help!!!!

Hi

I was wondering if anyone who has done/ is currently doing a BA in Archaeology at Durham could help with a few questions?

Is there chance to do lots of courswork on the course or is it mostly exam? (i am not too good at exams)

does the first year count towards the final degree? in other universities, they don't

if the first year does count towards your final degree, how is it assessed and how much is it worth?

Thanks!

Tom
Reply 1
Original post by tom1234567
Hi

I was wondering if anyone who has done/ is currently doing a BA in Archaeology at Durham could help with a few questions?

Is there chance to do lots of courswork on the course or is it mostly exam? (i am not too good at exams)

does the first year count towards the final degree? in other universities, they don't

if the first year does count towards your final degree, how is it assessed and how much is it worth?

Thanks!

Tom

I've moved your thread to the Durham subforum.

I'm not an archaeology student (wish I was :frown: ) but can still give some information.

The first year does not count towards your final classification. However, you still need to pass it with a mark of 40 or above in all modules. It is possible to fail one module in the first year but, providing you pass all second and third year modules at the required standard, still graduate with an honours degree.

Although I'm not an archaeology student, I think I can safely say that it is very difficult to fail the first year providing you put the work in.

The assessment will vary according to module. Some will be more exam based and some 'coursework' based. You can find a list of current modules here

So Introduction to Archaeology is assessed by exam (there are two formative essay but formative assessent does not count towards the final grade). This is how most of the current first year modules are assessed.

On the other hand some other modules, particularly those more practical based, will have more of a 'coursework' component. Archaeology Practicals is completely assessed by practicals. So too is Professional Training in the second year.

A number of modules will be split between essays/reports/practicals and an exam (often 50:50 or 66:34 split in favour of exam).

This is only a list of current modules. They can change on a yearly basis depending on staff availability (amongst other things).
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending