Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi All

Anyone with legal knowledge or experiences relevant welcome to reply.

I've been charged with GBH Section 20, for a single punch on someone. Due at the Crown Court in a couple of months for a trial.

I was with a group of friends out one night, I left the group to walk home and was confronted by about four lads - they were goading me and one came at me, I whalloped him and ran for my life.

Later found out that I fractured the guys cheek bone. They somehow tracked me down and I was arrested. Obviously very shocked about this. I'm remorseful for the injury but not for my act as it was in self defence. They're claiming I was the aggressor!?

I'm a student, never been involved in anything like this before. ****ting myself a bit because of the implications it could have on my career.

What do you think the likely outcome will be and any possible sentence?

Thanks in advance

Bill

ReputationRep:
    It is greviou bodily harm, however you have a legal defence of self defence speak to a lawyer.

If you were hypothetically convicted, and you have no prior history a custodial sentence would be unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    Section 20? That's serious and the starting point is a 6 month stretch (as the incident was not premeditated and no weapon was used.) A community order is unlikely without reduction to S47, and fractured cheekbone is specifically mentioned as GBH in the charging practice. Suspended sentence is possible.

If you believed you were at imminent risk of attack from the person, you were defending yourself against an assault so this should be a defence. Is the assault captured on CCTV? That may be how you got tracked down, if so the cameras will be evidence in your favour if the person you punched is seen lunging aggressively towards you.

ReputationRep:
    what happened in your case?

ive been charged with gbh section 20, criminal dam, and assault and go crown in july

im hopeing to get 18months to do 9

2nd stint, had previous with a knife and a knife popped up in this case aswell, they also still have my clothes from 4 months ago.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.