Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by airtones)
    The midwives do the normal births and although you are right that they can prescribe some painkillers (even some suprinsngly potent ones like pethidine) actually most of them tend to be quite anti-excessive pain relief. The midwives big thing is 'normalising birth', so they tend to try and focus on it as a natural process and de-medicalise it as much as possible. Even in an obstetrician birth (like a forceps delivery) the midwife will still be there.
    So thats why my bleep is summoning the paediatrician urgently to the 'medwife led birthing centre' every 5 minutes...

ReputationRep:
    I'd choose midwifery

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LauraMxx)
    Hi I was wondering if anyone could help, I really want to be an obstetrician because the whole delivering babies is extremely interesting to me, i know you could just see then be a midwife, but its not well paid at all, unsocial hours and most of it is relieving pain, while an obstetrician is used more for serious cases, only really there for the birth and is paid decently. I could have the grades for medicine, but medicine in general really doesn't interest me, and i would really not like F1 and F2 years (unless they were with an obstetrician), any ideas on what to do? thanks
    But even if you want to do Obs and Gynae you still have to study Medicine as a whole and learn about the other specialties. I mean how could you prescribe a drug without knowing about how it works, it's side-effects, contra-indications which may or may not be Obs or gynae related.

So if you're keen on going into Obs and Gynae and becoming a consultant then you have to study Medicine, no way around that. If that doesn't interest you then you may want to look elsehwere.

Simples.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.