Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello all

Does anyone have any info on how to get into an Associate role within IB?

As a bit of background: I qualified as a Chartered Accountant at a big four accountancy firm in 2009, then did a year's post-qualification experience there (plus a few internal moves to make sure I'd exhausted all my options) and moved to a middle office product control role at one of the big banks towards the end of last year. Basically I knew PC wasn't for me long-term, but I wanted the banking exposure while I thought about what I really wanted to do there. I'm now a lot clearer on where I want to go (I miss the client side and want to get into IB - markets isn't for me), but obviously I don't want to go for a graduate Analyst job when I have over 4 years' work experience already....

I've only just started researching it all, but so far I think GS is the only firm I've seen that do official Associate "intakes" (missed the deadline for this year though so even if I got a job for the next intake it wouldn't start until July 2012! Really couldn't handle PC for another 18 months!), all the rest just seem to be experienced hire type things which often require very specific experience within a similar role. I work in Fixed Income right now so could try and leverage off that (DCM appeals anyway), but essentially I'd be bullsh1tting a bit! Clearly a good option would be to move internally, but you can't do that until you've been in your role for a year (so that's another 8 months for me) - not necessarily a bad thing as staying put for a year probably looks a lot better on my CV, but to be honest my current job gives me about as much exposure to IBD as it does to surfing in Indonesia!

I should get to the point, right? So does anyone have any input on Associate roles i.e. what to go for, what you need to demonstrate, any tips for success etc. Also any input on how much divisional knowledge they expect you to have - clearly I can tell the difference between equity and debt, but I don't really see why you would choose leveraged finance over syndicated finance - I mean, why would anyone have a preference!? Oh, I have some tax experience too, so should I be going for more complex structured finance positions that could maybe combine the two?

Okay this is an essay. Hope someone can help, thanks.

K2VVV

ReputationRep:
    Might be better posting this on wallstreetoasis forums.........

ReputationRep:
    Aha, you're right thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Take an MBA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cruel3a)
    Take an MBA
    Don't listen to this^^.

i'd bet money they don't have an MBA. The most important component of IB's today is technology, if you are thinking of furthur study then you should focus on a scientific or technical course. This will make you much more attractive to potential employers as it is easier to teach a scientist the rudiments of marketing, sales and management than to take someone with an MBA and teach them the other thing.

I've spoken to many people with MBA's and they usually say they wish they had taken a technical degree, it will make you more analyitcal and you will be able to hold your own with the engineers and computer scientists, as well as with people who have similar industry experiance to yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, then take a PhD... lol.
    Then why everyone that is recruited for Associate Summer Internship comes from an MBA program? Do you think they will recruit you as an associate if you have a MS in Mech Eng?
    I've been talking with a lot of IB Directors and what everyone told me is that to get in from another field the only way is throught an MBA, not because of the knowledge that you get from the program, but because it's what they look for...

We are talking about getting in Corporate Finance with an Accounting/Audit experience, not about becoming and Hedge Fund Manager with a chemestry background.

"The most important component of IB's today is technology" --> what? he wants to work in IBD. The only technology involved is microsoft Excel, BlackBerry and some databases...

ReputationRep:
    I was right about you not having an MBA, and I'm also right about this.

btw, how many of these IB directors that you've been talking to have offered you a job?

ReputationRep:
    Obv I don't have an MBA, I'm a MSc student.
    Well, 2 banks out of 4... is it enough? And to be complete honest, I've been discussing about this thing also with 2 MDs and some Associates.

Are you trying to turn this thing personal because you have no idea what you are talking about?

ReputationRep:
    No, I am not trying to turn this into something personal, I just wanted to let the OP know that you were giving her very bad advice.

I do know what I'm talking about, as far as your conversations with directors and your job offers are concerned, until you produce proof of these job offers then it really doesn't mean much to me, and even then an entry level job offer doesn't count for much in my eyes.

Two years working for a small start-up will teach you much more about sales, marketing and management than an MBA will.

ReputationRep:
    OP, can I suggest you take this thread down before you get any more disinformation thrown at you.

You must be reasonably smart if you're a chartered accountant, why not do the smart thing and speak to a few HR directors or IB recruitment consultants, or someone else who actually deals with this repeatedly. The advice you have got on here so far is from 17 year olds.

ReputationRep:
    Obv working in a small start-up will teach him more about everything than an MBA.
    But the MBA is the "traditional" way to get in an investment bank as an associate from another field also because it provides networking opportunities, career fairs, companies on campus...

As Ironuts says, probably if you have the chance to speak with an HR or recruitment consultant that would help.

Ok I will send you both contracts signed ok? give me the fax number... lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_hate_teeth)
    No, I am not trying to turn this into something personal, I just wanted to let the OP know that you were giving her very bad advice.

I do know what I'm talking about, as far as your conversations with directors and your job offers are concerned, until you produce proof of these job offers then it really doesn't mean much to me, and even then an entry level job offer doesn't count for much in my eyes.

Two years working for a small start-up will teach you much more about sales, marketing and management than an MBA will.
    Unfortunately for your rhetoric I can confirm that he does have these offers. Although I do find your trolling entertaining it would work better if the rubbish you spout had more credibility behind it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ironuts)
    OP, can I suggest you take this thread down before you get any more disinformation thrown at you.

You must be reasonably smart if you're a chartered accountant, why not do the smart thing and speak to a few HR directors or IB recruitment consultants, or someone else who actually deals with this repeatedly. The advice you have got on here so far is from 17 year olds.
    Yep I'm talking to IB recruiters too. They have their own agenda though so I was just keen to garner other opinions. However, have now realised I'm probably a bit old for this site!!

Thanks all.

ReputationRep:
    question - regarding the whole having an MEng being a good advantage etc
    because the uk is one of the only places in europe that have 3 yr degrees, would someone with a degree from another country be considered to be at the same level with a 4yr B eng. I know that my degree is equivalent to being the same as doing a masters in the UK (accreditations and what not) but does that just end up being in the same category as all the people with uk 3 yr degrees. I don't actually get M eng at the end of my name

just wondered really!

ReputationRep:
    Don't listen to this^^.

i'd bet money they don't have an MBA. The most important component of IB's today is technology, if you are thinking of furthur study then you should focus on a scientific or technical course. This will make you much more attractive to potential employers as it is easier to teach a scientist the rudiments of marketing, sales and management than to take someone with an MBA and teach them the other thing.

I've spoken to many people with MBA's and they usually say they wish they had taken a technical degree, it will make you more analyitcal and you will be able to hold your own with the engineers and computer scientists, as well as with people who have similar industry experiance to yourself.
    I can't figure if you get a kick out of giving wrong advice or you consistently receive wrong information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChapterEleven)
    I can't figure if you get a kick out of giving wrong advice or you consistently receive wrong information.
    I'm not on here to argue, if you feel that I have made an incorrect statement, then you should highlight the statement and explain why you think it is incorrect rather than trying to discredit me.

The jealosy is really starting to get boring.I have an offer from Imperial for engineering and I have work experiance lined up at both Goldman Sachs and JPM (with no interview or application) for this summer. It's funny how some of you spring week, internship and graduate applicants consistently tell me how much I don't know and how stupid I am but couldn't get into GS if your life depended on it.

I'm not saying that I know everything, but I do know some stuff, and I know that most of the negative reactions I receive on this forum stem from deep rooted envy and jealousy.

and FYI..i've posted statements that were made by Lloyd Blankfein and Ben Bernake verbatim and claimed them as my own opinions, and have been told that my advice is completely wrong and that I have no idea what I'm talking about...maybe you should figure that out.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how you are and obv I did not know your background when I wrote my message. Congrat for your offers, seems like we will be working in the same company but in different periods if you pick JPM over GS.
    Having said that, if you had interviews, talked with people that work in IBD on how to get in from other fields, they all agree that the best way is to enroll in an MBA program in a target school.

About the fact that people don't like you, it is probably because of your tone and because how you talk with people. In every message you have posted in this discussion, you talk like you are a god's gift to the world, you know everything and you are the smartest guy around.

This is also proved by the fact that you challenge people to post their achievements, ask them to prove them and finaly you fell the necessity to state that you got in GS and that you have an offer from Imperial (which is not Stanford btw...)

So, before saying that everyone hates you because he is not able to get into GS like you did, try to reflect more on the words and the tone that you use here.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not on here to argue, if you feel that I have made an incorrect statement, then you should highlight the statement and explain why you think it is incorrect rather than trying to discredit me.

The jealosy is really starting to get boring.I have an offer from Imperial for engineering and I have work experiance lined up at both Goldman Sachs and JPM (with no interview or application) for this summer. It's funny how some of you spring week, internship and graduate applicants consistently tell me how much I don't know and how stupid I am but couldn't get into GS if your life depended on it.

I'm not saying that I know everything, but I do know some stuff, and I know that most of the negative reactions I receive on this forum stem from deep rooted envy and jealousy.

and FYI..i've posted statements that were made by Lloyd Blankfein and Ben Bernake verbatim and claimed them as my own opinions, and have been told that my advice is completely wrong and that I have no idea what I'm talking about...maybe you should figure that out.
    This is my new signature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cruel3a)
    I don't know how you are and obv I did not know your background when I wrote my message. Congrat for your offers, seems like we will be working in the same company but in different periods if you pick JPM over GS.
    Having said that, if you had interviews, talked with people that work in IBD on how to get in from other fields, they all agree that the best way is to enroll in an MBA program in a target school.

About the fact that people don't like you, it is probably because of your tone and because how you talk with people. In every message you have posted in this discussion, you talk like you are a god's gift to the world, you know everything and you are the smartest guy around.

This is also proved by the fact that you challenge people to post their achievements, ask them to prove them and finaly you fell the necessity to state that you got in GS and that you have an offer from Imperial (which is not Stanford btw...)

So, before saying that everyone hates you because he is not able to get into GS like you did, try to reflect more on the words and the tone that you use here.
    Strongly suggest you don't listen to a single word IHT says.

ReputationRep:
    I do know what I'm talking about
    No you don't.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.