Turn on thread page Beta

Should Drugs be Legalized? POLL! watch

• View Poll Results: Should illegal drugs be legalized for personal/recreational use?
    All drugs should be legal to use for recreational purposes
    45.57%
    All drugs currently made illegal by the 'Misuse of Drugs Act 1971' should remain illegal.
    26.58%
    Class C drugs should be legalized
    10.13%
    Class B & C should be legalized
    17.72%

ReputationRep:
    Hi all!

Simple poll question here:

"Should UK laws banning the use of illegal drugs be repealed to allow people to possess these drugs for personal/recreational use?"

I have split it down into different classes seeing as the strength/effect of the drug may affect your decision.

I suppose the core question here is ...
    (Original post by cambo211)
    Who are we, as a Government, to tell people what they can and can't do with their body?
    A good argument I saw which helped me to adopt the action I believe would be right is..
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    To be honest, I detest drugs and if banning them stopped their usage I would ban them instantly. However, the fact is, making them illegal; or drug prohibition if you will, just hasn't worked. This war on drugs has achieved nothing.

So I must confess, I am merely being pragmatic on this issue. If we legalise some drugs, we can at least ensure that they meet strict quality measures, that said product is tested and sold by licensed businesses. This also means said product can be taxed with the tax used for drug rehabilition programmes. It also means that said product isn't in the hands of criminals but responsible businesses.

Drugs classification full list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...United_Kingdom

Main ones:

Class A: Heroin, Cocaine, Vicodin, LSD, Methadone, Methamphetamine (Speed), Ecstasy, Opium, Angel Dust, Magic Mushrooms (Shrooms),

Class B: Amphetamine (Speed), Weed (Marijuana), MCAT.

Class C: Valium, Rohypnol, Ketamine, Ambien.

ReputationRep:
    Because tobacco being legal has worked....

I think weed should be legalised, possibly as well as magic mushrooms, but otherwise no. I only say weed should be legalised because it's got such widespread use and I think criminalizing it is doing more harm than good, but I wouldn't smoke it myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueJoker)
    Because tobacco being legal has worked....

I think weed should be legalised, possibly as well as magic mushrooms, but otherwise no. I only say weed should be legalised because it's got such widespread use and I think criminalizing it is doing more harm than good, but I wouldn't smoke it myself.
    Was this serious or sarcastic? hard to tell haha
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Weed and stuff sure. heroin? No its just too addictive

ReputationRep:
    The current classification system is foolish. The likes of LSD + shrooms are Class A, despite being relatively safe. Therefore I had to vote for all drugs being legalised for recreational purposes, although I'm not sure I entirely agree with this (mainly with heroin and crystal meth.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Weed and stuff sure. heroin? No its just too addictive
    For what reason is the level of addiction the relevant factor? Surely it is the level of hard done that is the real problem?

For example, if i some weird world, I became addicted to skittles and injected skittle juice into my blood every day just to get high, would that be wrong? Even if the skittle juice had absolutely no harmful effects whatsoever?

ReputationRep:
    I say Class C drugs on the condition that Cannabis is brought down to a Class C drug.

Enough people do it anyway>conduct a few health studies>regulate it>tax it>Economy Boostaa

ReputationRep:
    Making them illegal clearly isn't preventing people from getting them, it's just throwing people in jail and using up police time. Especially in America.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by S129439)
    For what reason is the level of addiction the relevant factor? Surely it is the level of hard done that is the real problem?

For example, if i some weird world, I became addicted to skittles and injected skittle juice into my blood every day just to get high, would that be wrong? Even if the skittle juice had absolutely no harmful effects whatsoever?
    Well harm and addiction tend to go hand in hand together.

Your Skittle Juice addiction would be mental. Heroin has been shown to actively change brain chemistry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DivineIntervention)
    I say Class C drugs on the condition that Cannabis is brought down to a Class C drug.

Enough people do it anyway>conduct a few health studies>regulate it>tax it>Economy Boostaa
    So from a fiscal point of view it would be beneficial to make Class C drugs legal (including weed)?

Would you say it is immoral to forget about our objections to drug taking just to make a few extra £££s? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Well harm and addiction tend to go hand in hand together.

Your Skittle Juice addiction would be mental. Heroin has been shown to actively change brain chemistry
    Fair enough. Educated :holmes:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Fair enough. Educated :holmes:
    Picked up something from all my millions of drug lessons at school.

ReputationRep:
    Rohypnol is Class C, should it be legal?

ReputationRep:
    Oh, it should all totally be legalized, I've always thought my town centre was lacking a group of junkies shooting up in plain sight of everyone.

ReputationRep:
    So from a fiscal point of view it would be beneficial to make Class C drugs legal (including weed)?

Would you say it is immoral to forget about our objections to drug taking just to make a few extra £££s? :holmes:
    To your first point: Yes, and I quote this guy>
    (Original post by Master Roshi)
    Making them illegal clearly isn't preventing people from getting them, it's just throwing people in jail and using up police time. Especially in America.
    "Immoral" you say? Nicotine, caffeine and Alcohol are drugs too, is it "immoral" that we take those and often become dependent on them?

Mr. Smith gets up and needs a coffee to wake him up along with several more during the course of the day combined with the cheeky fag during lunch brake and after work. Then on Friday he hits the pub for a few pints.

The UK taxes cigarettes A LOT, we pay twice as much than most of Europe.

I simply ask you why not? People are taking cannabis anyway, if anything studies have shown it to be healthier than cigarettes.

ReputationRep:
    You missed the option of legalizing some class C drugs...

Limiting the options; fallacy fallacy fallacy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteveCrain)
    You missed the option of legalizing some class C drugs...

Limiting the options; fallacy fallacy fallacy!
    sorry. can't edit it now :/

ReputationRep:
    Because a heroin addiction- both physical and mental- will take over the life of the user, costing more in his upkeep, rehab and medical bills. Show me a heroin addict holding down a 9-5. Taxes from him are non-existent. Dole is not enough for a growing habit, even if heroin were legalized.
    Heroin addict needs money, to what will he resort?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Picked up something from all my millions of drug lessons at school.
    I learned NOTHING lol

(Original post by DivineIntervention)
    To your first point: Yes, and I quote this guy>

"Immoral" you say? Nicotine, caffeine and Alcohol are drugs too, is it "immoral" that we take those and often become dependent on them?

Mr. Smith gets up and needs a coffee to wake him up along with several more during the course of the day combined with the cheeky fag during lunch brake and after work. Then on Friday he hits the pub for a few pints.

The UK taxes cigarettes A LOT, we pay twice as much than most of Europe.

I simply ask you why not? People are taking cannabis anyway, if anything studies have shown it to be healthier than cigarettes.
    Fair enough. Agreed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteveCrain)
    Because a heroin addiction- both physical and mental- will take over the life of the user, costing more in his upkeep, rehab and medical bills. Show me a heroin addict holding down a 9-5. Taxes from him are non-existent. Dole is not enough for a growing habit, even if heroin were legalized.
    Heroin addict needs money, to what will he resort?
    good point!
    i'm not arguing for heroin, just a bit of a devil's advocate lol

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.