Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    plz could sumone help me with this planning exercise i have been given?

In some sports, such as throwing a javelin or putting a shot, the angle # at which an object is projected is very important. if 0 is too big, the object will travel through a large verticle distance, but will only have a small horizontal displacement (known as the range)

If 0 is too small, the object will not spend enough time in the air and consequently the range will be small.

there is an optimum angle at which the object should be projected in order to achieve maximum range.

Design a laboratory experiment to investigate how the range of a projected object depends on the angle of projection,0.

Your plan should contain details of

a) the procedure to be followed
    b)what you would use as an object and how it would be projected
    c)how the angle of projection and the range would be measured
    d)the control of variables
    e)any safety precautions you would take when carrying out the experiment
    f)any particular features of the design that would ensure the accuracy and reliability of your results

plz could sumone hep me with this question as i am very confused at what to do
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Basically, you need to fire something that will fly fairly well (lead shots probably not appropriate in a school lab!), in such a way that you can reliably measure the angle its shot at (protractor? trigonometry? any other method?), and the distance it reaches (this should be as accurate as reasonably possible - I'll tell you from my own experience that simply guesstimating where it lands is a) inaccurate, and b) can put you at risk of broken toes).

Write down what you would do, what equipment you would use, and make sure you draw a clear diagram, with labels. I don't know what advice your school has given you, but sounds like you don't need to bother with a full write-up like you'd do for coursework.

I don't want to give you any hints apparatus-wise, but remember that all variables except the one you're changing, and the one you're measuring must be kept constant - hence part d.

Don't be afraid to state the obvious - what seems obvious to you may not be obvious to everyone, and so may well be woth marks.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashash)
    plz could sumone help me with this planning exercise i have been given?

In some sports, such as throwing a javelin or putting a shot, the angle # at which an object is projected is very important. if 0 is too big, the object will travel through a large verticle distance, but will only have a small horizontal
    I would have a ramp with a grove in which a small metal ball could fit. The ramp would be adjustable for different angles. In fact I might try a tube... maybe a length of a hose pipe or a length of copper water pipe. The pipe would need to have a small radius. Ask your local plumber.

I would have a ' landing' area covered with sand or soft plasticine. When the ball landed I would want it to make a mark. This would enable me to accurately measure the range.

At one one end of the pipe/tube I would have a spring ... when released this would project the ball up the tube ...

Wear goggles . Hang ' curtains' around the firing area so the ball won't bounce or ricochet.

The spring or firing mechanism is the main problem.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for all ur help i now kno most of what i hav got to do the one thing im still confused about is how i am going to shoot the thing i am going to shoot and how i will know its m/s
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by ashash)
    thanks for all ur help i now kno most of what i hav got to do the one thing im still confused about is how i am going to shoot the thing i am going to shoot and how i will know its m/s
    Do you need to find m/s ? If you do, I'd sugest a suvat equation (assuming you're GCSE level). Didn't do KS3, so if you're younger than that, I wouldn't know what you're supposed to know.

ReputationRep:
    The speed of the particle doesnt matter so long as it is constant

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 26, 2005

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.