Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    someone sent me the following message i have posted it on the wall incase it helps someone else so it doesnt need to be reasked again and it doesnt seem personal or anything private

QUOTE "I was looking at the Clinical Sciences (Uni of Bradford) thread that you started.
    I will be starting the clinical sciences foundation year course in September.
    I was wondering do you need to do a UCAS application for the Leeds transfer and sit the UKCAT before the usual oct deadline? Or is it an internal transfer?"

no u dont need to to anything but get the 70 percent on the course and the 70 percent in the chemsitry module [as was required in my time]

it is an internal transfer so after you are on the clinical sciences course you will not need to fill in another ucas form...to be hoenst you wont need to worry about the application form at all they will tell u of this as the year goes on...here is a brief outline anywya

1. get accepted onto clinical sciences course...
    2. application starts after end of year exams...if 70 percent then your application is eligible and is releeased to leeds if not then it does not go on to leeds and u will not be permitted to apply.
    3.you wil be invited for interview depending on success of your application and if you pass and are accepte as a leeds medical student ONLY THEN will u be asked to do the ukcat...but this wont change anything you are asked to sit it [pointlessly in my opinion] but so that you have done the same things as the other medical applicants that you will b joining.

that was the prcoedure for the past few years i dont know if they have changed it this year but i HIGHLY doubt it!

i hope that helps...i wouldnt worry about the medical transfer application if your on the clinical sciences course alredy...it will be explained to u and you will relaise that you wont relaly need to do anything until the end of year.

thanks take care

good luck

ReputationRep:
    Ello all!

how would you "break the news" to your interview panel that you have never really "wanted to study biomedical science since you were a widdle foetus"? and really were gonna use it as a stepping stone...but you needed to say it to get into your other 4 courses? "So yeh, i lied about my ambitions to get in." How do you do this ? XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nevetstreblig)
    Ello all!

how would you "break the news" to your interview panel that you have never really "wanted to study biomedical science since you were a widdle foetus"? and really were gonna use it as a stepping stone...but you needed to say it to get into your other 4 courses? "So yeh, i lied about my ambitions to get in." How do you do this ? XD
    It's not biomedical science, and they know that is what most people are using it for.

ReputationRep:
    It's not biomedical science, and they know that is what most people are using it for.
    But how do you say that you never really wanted biomedical science...it was just a stepping stone as is clinical science...espec when your PS for biomed will be seen by clinsci admissions tutors will be totally different

ReputationRep:
    hi guys..all the comments here have helped me so far but am still not clear on some things. am new to TSR so your comments are appreciated.
    i applied for phamarcy for Sept 2011, i had offers but unfortunately dint get accepted coz of my results. Now am on a gap year hoping to try again nxt year. while doin sum research, i came across clinical science @ bradford and ow it can help gt onto other course. i want to do sum work experience but am nt sure wot kind of work experience d uni wuld lyk wen applyin for Cli/sci. any advice pls??
    THANKS

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm doing my A-levels and i would really like to study medicine but at AS I got BBB. So i was look at clinal sciences and after reading this dicussion it seems like i could do clinical sciences then go onto medince at Leeds. The thing i would really like to know is how long would it be till i can transfer onto medicine?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm doing my A-levels and i would really like to study medicine but at AS I got BBB. So i was look at clinal sciences and after reading this dicussion it seems like i could do clinical sciences then go onto medince at Leeds. The thing i would really like to know is how long would it be till i can transfer onto medicine?
    There is a transfer in yr 1 if you achieve 70%+ in your modules and do sufficiently well in the ukcat/interview/PS
    However, on failing that, you can apply in yr 3 for graduate entry if you're expecting 2:i/1st

ReputationRep:
    Ello all!

its tru wot oggz sed thats not a real issue dnt worry about it cos i kno firsthand wot ur talkin about.initially my personal statement was on pharmacy and so wen i went in for my clinical sciences the HEAD (the strictrst lecturer) was like

"oh you want to do pharmacy?wel were pharmacists luckily or unluky for you!!"

i went in before the interview decided on the fact that i was gna tell the truth n it was recieved really well so yeah its not a problem i basically sed

"yeah er about that im really sory but i actually want to do medicine an rralistically i only had a chance of gettin into pharmacy...so thats y my ps is on that...but i heard about clinsy and i kno iwant to do med so thats y im here today"

she basicaly sed "oh right thats not a problem" and then she jus changed it so it was more of a medical interview rather than pharmacy !!!which is gd cos thats the onr you will WANT to talk about!
    jus saysomthin like that BUT DNT LIE...if u wana do med say so from my experience n jus explain ur grades or noone accepted u etc-they understand!

hope that helps ...take care

good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    But how do you say that you never really wanted biomedical science...it was just a stepping stone as is clinical science...espec when your PS for biomed will be seen by clinsci admissions tutors will be totally different
    they KNOW clinical sciences is a stepping stone its wot theyre proud of lol....good luck (agen)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lampy123)

hi there.

after fndtn clin sci u wil go straight into year one medicine with the rest of the ucas lot the following september=provided ur succesful in getin 70%, r called for interview (most year everyone that gets grade r- but its not guaranteed so make ur personal statemnt GOOD!)...

after year 1 clinsy (identical to leeds med skool year 1) you go straight into yar two medicine provided u get 60percent and sucesful application etc

application process starts after exams finish etc...youll kno august tym whether ur in ,interviews are july time!

not sur if thats wot u wanted to kno..bt take care

good luck!

ReputationRep:
    IMPORTANT!!!!

i wud ring up and ask the office about the grades neeed to transfer to leeds because i have jus had a look on the clinsy website and i m not sur if its a mistake or if they have actuallu lowereed the results but the website says 60% NOT 70% is required for the foundatiom year!

SO YEAH DEFO RING UP TO FIND OUT ABOUT THAT!!!very important!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace1992)
    hi guys..all the comments here have helped me so far but am still not clear on some things. am new to TSR so your comments are appreciated.
    i applied for phamarcy for Sept 2011, i had offers but unfortunately dint get accepted coz of my results. Now am on a gap year hoping to try again nxt year. while doin sum research, i came across clinical science @ bradford and ow it can help gt onto other course. i want to do sum work experience but am nt sure wot kind of work experience d uni wuld lyk wen applyin for Cli/sci. any advice pls??
    THANKS
    wel to be fair if you want to do pharmacy then you need to show that by getin sum work experience there a week will do provided u cn tal about it...but rember its all healthcare at the end of it u can also do hosp work expeince perhaps in the hosp pharmacy or even gp wrk experience as long as u talk bout wt u have learned shudnt b a problem

take care

good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epsilon1234)
    IMPORTANT!!!!

i wud ring up and ask the office about the grades neeed to transfer to leeds because i have jus had a look on the clinsy website and i m not sur if its a mistake or if they have actuallu lowereed the results but the website says 60% NOT 70% is required for the foundatiom year!

SO YEAH DEFO RING UP TO FIND OUT ABOUT THAT!!!very important!

Its 70% ive rung up about 3 times now, interviews are held from November onwards and last year they took 20/20, Overall there were 60 applicants for the course... (1/3!!) :eek: (This is for the foundation course).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralphus J)
    Its 70% ive rung up about 3 times now, interviews are held from November onwards and last year they took 20/20, Overall there were 60 applicants for the course... (1/3!!) :eek: (This is for the foundation course).
    nice one i didnt think they would lower it cos they sed to me that they raised it from sixty to 70% bak weni was applying because too many people that transfered across jus werent coping with medicine n were failing...so yh its beter that its 70% i was happy thn also cos i would hate to transfer and then not cope n fail...even worse!!!
    thanks again

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone I thought I should create a thread regarding the clinical sciences course in the University of Bradford because I have noticed there aren't any.

When I was applying I had a lot of questions about the whole transfer scheme to medicine and what my chances were and I would have really appreciated it if I could speak to someone regarding the whole process. I came in through the foundation year and was selected for interview at the Leeds school of medicine but unfortunately I was rejected...I knew that medicine was what I really wanted to do so I stayed on to the final year - and thankfully I finally got a place in medicine.

So yeah if you have any questions, want any advice about the course or city etcetera then feel free to ask...I will try my best to answer as realistically and as best as I can.

If you want to do medicine but you didn't quite get the grades like me in GCSEs and A levels but you feel as though you are more than capable then there's still a chance believe me my academic history is really poor and not typical of your average medical applicant.

I don't profess to be the best person at doing this sort of thing, in fact I have never done it before, but I had always said that if ever I got into medicine I would do my best to try and help those others who were desperately struggling.

Thank you and GOOD LUCK
    Hi, i have been accepted in to first year and will be starting the course in a week. if you dont mind me asking what was the reason you got rejected? did u reapply to leeds after your third year and did u start in the 2nd year? thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SU21)
    I was a Clin Scier and would definitely recommend the course to anyone who is thinking of doing medicine.

I came into first year and got to the Leeds interview stage but I didnt get an offer too. But I did get an offer in the end and the benefit of being a graduate has definitely helped!

Any questions feel free to ask!
    Hi, congrats in getting an ooffer in the end. i fyou dont mind me asking why did you not get an offer in the first place? thanks

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know what sort of career just sticking to clinical sciences and not moving to medicine can lead to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shah12)
    Hi, i have been accepted in to first year and will be starting the course in a week. if you dont mind me asking what was the reason you got rejected? did u reapply to leeds after your third year and did u start in the 2nd year? thanks in advance
    hi sorry its a bit late....but yeh sure i dont mind....ile try and be as thorough in why i think i didnt get thru so that hopefuly you can learn from my mistakes...firstly a big problem was that i did not think i would be able to get the distinction 70% grade needed in foundation year because there were quite alot of straight a students or students with better grades than me....THIS IS WOT SCARES MOST PPL i THINK....but hoenslty it turned out that ppl with straights A s didnt get the grade and ppl who worked hard did...so dont get intimidated by wot everyone else has goteen IMPORTNAT!!!

so doubting myself was a big deal because at first i didnt think i wud get the grade so i dint get any work expeirence wich was daft...and then wen i got the grade i dint think that i wud get selected fro interview so i didnt prepare...and then wen i got the interview i had nothing to show all i had was a week at vitalise voluntary work and sum gp work experience from year 10 [4 days ]which i cd not remember...this was a major factor because essentialy i had nothing to talk about and was terrible at lying so yeah dont lie...and make sure u get work experience in all the sectors e.g. hospital, gp, voluntary and show u cn branch out to wider audiences e.g. the elderly, the young etc...i had not had any mock interviews apart from one...and the mock interviewer even sed i i wasnt ready to apply yet...i was rejected really badly according to the feedbakc by 13 marks or sumthing -so very bad !! but i honestly just was not prepared...leeds is supposed to be one of those medical interviews that are the easiest because they are predictable and jus the standard same questions so if u get to the interview stage you should be fine WITH PREPARATIN!!!

i did actualy apply agen the next time around but i missed out on selection for interview by one mark...had it been the year earlier i wud hav had an interview but the year i applied they had raised the boundary by an extra mark...but this time round i wud have smashed the interview if given the opportunity [partly cos i had frends on the interview panel :P]

sory if its a waffle and most of it wont make sense but i hope some of it helps.

take care
    good luk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sumaiyah!)
    does anyone know what sort of career just sticking to clinical sciences and not moving to medicine can lead to?
    turthfully THATS the scary bit and thats the ONLY reason why biomed is slightly safer in that regards because i think you can go intro reserach etc...in my opinon and that of my class clinsy and even the teachers i think...clinsy is a stepping stone that everyone uses to do something else...teaching, law, med, dentistry, nursing , masters anything really..think of itas bein a qualification more than training...

its a fantastic STEPPING STONE...but it doesnt lead into a career automatically.

hope that help thanks

good luk take care

ReputationRep:
    hi sorry its a bit late....but yeh sure i dont mind....ile try and be as thorough in why i think i didnt get thru so that hopefuly you can learn from my mistakes...firstly a big problem was that i did not think i would be able to get the distinction 70% grade needed in foundation year because there were quite alot of straight a students or students with better grades than me....THIS IS WOT SCARES MOST PPL i THINK....but hoenslty it turned out that ppl with straights A s didnt get the grade and ppl who worked hard did...so dont get intimidated by wot everyone else has goteen IMPORTNAT!!!

so doubting myself was a big deal because at first i didnt think i wud get the grade so i dint get any work expeirence wich was daft...and then wen i got the grade i dint think that i wud get selected fro interview so i didnt prepare...and then wen i got the interview i had nothing to show all i had was a week at vitalise voluntary work and sum gp work experience from year 10 [4 days ]which i cd not remember...this was a major factor because essentialy i had nothing to talk about and was terrible at lying so yeah dont lie...and make sure u get work experience in all the sectors e.g. hospital, gp, voluntary and show u cn branch out to wider audiences e.g. the elderly, the young etc...i had not had any mock interviews apart from one...and the mock interviewer even sed i i wasnt ready to apply yet...i was rejected really badly according to the feedbakc by 13 marks or sumthing -so very bad !! but i honestly just was not prepared...leeds is supposed to be one of those medical interviews that are the easiest because they are predictable and jus the standard same questions so if u get to the interview stage you should be fine WITH PREPARATIN!!!

i did actualy apply agen the next time around but i missed out on selection for interview by one mark...had it been the year earlier i wud hav had an interview but the year i applied they had raised the boundary by an extra mark...but this time round i wud have smashed the interview if given the opportunity [partly cos i had frends on the interview panel :P]

sory if its a waffle and most of it wont make sense but i hope some of it helps.

take care
    good luk
    thank you so much!! i already feel like i wont get the grades and it will be difficult. i have work experience in different places such as, hospital, pharmacy, nursing home and im going to start volunteering in a nursery now. do u think its hard to get the 70% in first year?? thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.