Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Not too sure if this thread is still on-going, but I am very interested in this course.

I didn't do that great at GCSE (not medical student standards) and I didn't do Additional Science.
    I am, however, studying Biology, English Literature, ICT and General Studies at A Level - I'm currently in Year 12.

I can't apply for Year 1 of the Clinical Sciences degree at Uni of Bradford because I simply don't have Chemistry A Level.
    I e-mailed the uni ages ago and they said I'd have to apply for the Foundation Year which of course means it is a 4 year degree.

Of course I am only really doing this for the transfer over to Leeds Medical School - my question being:
    Does the transfer happen after the Foundation Year AND Year 1 of the Clinical Sciences Degree?
    Or, do the transfer happen after one has completed the entire degree (wether it be 3 years or 4 years with foundation)?
    What are my chances of being transferred? What does it depend on?

Many thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maggiedavies)
    Hi,

Not too sure if this thread is still on-going, but I am very interested in this course.

I didn't do that great at GCSE (not medical student standards) and I didn't do Additional Science.
    I am, however, studying Biology, English Literature, ICT and General Studies at A Level - I'm currently in Year 12.

I can't apply for Year 1 of the Clinical Sciences degree at Uni of Bradford because I simply don't have Chemistry A Level.
    I e-mailed the uni ages ago and they said I'd have to apply for the Foundation Year which of course means it is a 4 year degree.

Of course I am only really doing this for the transfer over to Leeds Medical School - my question being:
    Does the transfer happen after the Foundation Year AND Year 1 of the Clinical Sciences Degree?
    Or, do the transfer happen after one has completed the entire degree (wether it be 3 years or 4 years with foundation)?
    What are my chances of being transferred? What does it depend on?

Many thanks in advance!
    Hi as you've said u obviously cant apply to Year 1 coz u dont have Chemistry...Ull have to apply to the foundation year but u need atleast a BBC in ur AS in any subjects im pretty sure....

And talking about how the transfer works... in the beginning of the year...ull have to make it clear that u wanna apply for the transfer to Leeds...at the end of the Foundation year 20 students are chosen for the transfer...(Total out of 140-160...depends on how many ppl are taken on the course)

If you manage to get 70% overall in ur foundation year which includes 70% in Chemistry module then u can be selected as one of the top 20 students...Once thats done then ull just have to go through the normal Medicine procedure...applications etc.

& Just incase if you dont make it to top 20 in the foundation year then ull have to study year 1 of clinical sciences the following year and try to make it to top 20 in that year....its a lil easier as ull need 60% in year 1

but if you fail to make it in year then ull have to complete the 4 year degree (including foundation year) and then apply for Leeds again...which would be 9 years in total for degree in Medicine lol a bit too long

Just concentrate in ur Foundation year and u will definetly make it to top 20..

Hope i solved ur problem..If you have nay other questions...feel free to ask me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coolandcalm1)
    Hi as you've said u obviously cant apply to Year 1 coz u dont have Chemistry...Ull have to apply to the foundation year but u need atleast a BBC in ur AS in any subjects im pretty sure....

And talking about how the transfer works... in the beginning of the year...ull have to make it clear that u wanna apply for the transfer to Leeds...at the end of the Foundation year 20 students are chosen for the transfer...(Total out of 140-160...depends on how many ppl are taken on the course)

If you manage to get 70% overall in ur foundation year which includes 70% in Chemistry module then u can be selected as one of the top 20 students...Once thats done then ull just have to go through the normal Medicine procedure...applications etc.

& Just incase if you dont make it to top 20 in the foundation year then ull have to study year 1 of clinical sciences the following year and try to make it to top 20 in that year....its a lil easier as ull need 60% in year 1

but if you fail to make it in year then ull have to complete the 4 year degree (including foundation year) and then apply for Leeds again...which would be 9 years in total for degree in Medicine lol a bit too long

Just concentrate in ur Foundation year and u will definetly make it to top 20..

Hope i solved ur problem..If you have nay other questions...feel free to ask me
    Thank you so much!!
    Also, what do you mean by "go through the normal Medicine procedure..applications" -- what does that entail exactly? Or do you just mean needing working experience and stuff?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much!!
    Also, what do you mean by "go through the normal Medicine procedure..applications" -- what does that entail exactly? Or do you just mean needing working experience and stuff?
    I should've elaborated on that sorry...But wat i meant was that ....ull have an interview at leeds including a BMAT etc and once u pass that stage then ull be given an offer...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coolandcalm1)
    I should've elaborated on that sorry...But wat i meant was that ....ull have an interview at leeds including a BMAT etc and once u pass that stage then ull be given an offer...
    Oh I see! Thank you so much for your help!!x

ReputationRep:
    Oh I see! Thank you so much for your help!!x
    No problem....All the best

ReputationRep:
    hello,
    i applied for clinical science with a foundation year, my predicted grades are: Biology-A Maths-B Applied Science-D*D* and i got a C in as level health and social care. For my GCSEs i got 7 Bs including maths, sciences and english and 3 Cs i want to ask you several questions

-what is the chance of transferring to med school in leeds in the first or second year?
    -after doing the whole 4 year course, if you get into medicine in leeds is it 4 years or 5 years to study the course
    - is clinical science hard?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jahidur99)
    hello,
    i applied for clinical science with a foundation year, my predicted grades are: Biology-A Maths-B Applied Science-D*D* and i got a C in as level health and social care. For my GCSEs i got 7 Bs including maths, sciences and english and 3 Cs i want to ask you several questions

-what is the chance of transferring to med school in leeds in the first or second year?
    -after doing the whole 4 year course, if you get into medicine in leeds is it 4 years or 5 years to study the course
    - is clinical science hard?
    Hey I'm in the foundation year. It's quite competitive. In my year there 192 students but about 60 doing other courses so about 130. You need to get grades then interview. It's about 1 in 3 chance if you get grades in foundation year. Year 1 is simpler numbers wise. A lot less people. But it's hard. 40 people got grades out of about a 100 is what my friend who started second year told me and 20 places at Leeds. So if you get grades and asked for interview it's not a bad about 1/2
    But major question is is hard. It requires a lot of work. But if you enjoy it you will really enjoy the foundation year. You need to work hard. If you do you should get the grades it's harder than A level but questions in exams are MCQS so no trying to decide questions. If you have questions feel free to pm me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also if anyone pm me my messages stopped working so if you post on main thread I'll answer questions and people wanting to know same question can read it too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epsilon1234)
    Hey everyone I thought I should create a thread regarding the clinical sciences course in the University of Bradford because I have noticed there aren't any.

When I was applying I had a lot of questions about the whole transfer scheme to medicine and what my chances were and I would have really appreciated it if I could speak to someone regarding the whole process. I came in through the foundation year and was selected for interview at the Leeds school of medicine but unfortunately I was rejected...I knew that medicine was what I really wanted to do so I stayed on to the final year - and thankfully I finally got a place in medicine.

So yeah if you have any questions, want any advice about the course or city etcetera then feel free to ask...I will try my best to answer as realistically and as best as I can.

If you want to do medicine but you didn't quite get the grades like me in GCSEs and A levels but you feel as though you are more than capable then there's still a chance believe me my academic history is really poor and not typical of your average medical applicant.

I don't profess to be the best person at doing this sort of thing, in fact I have never done it before, but I had always said that if ever I got into medicine I would do my best to try and help those others who were desperately struggling.

Thank you and GOOD LUCK

Hi There, i'm thinking of applying for the clinical sciences course. However I am a bit confused. Is the transfer to medicine ONLY for those who meet the widening participation criteria because I do not meet any of them. So does that mean there is no way of me transferring to do medicine at Leeds University. Thank you in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maryyg)
    Hi There, i'm thinking of applying for the clinical sciences course. However I am a bit confused. Is the transfer to medicine ONLY for those who meet the widening participation criteria because I do not meet any of them. So does that mean there is no way of me transferring to do medicine at Leeds University. Thank you in advance!
    If you don't meet the WP criteria then you are not eligible to transfer. You could do the foundation year somewhere else and apy externally but you cannot apply for the transfer

ReputationRep:
    Thought as much! Thankyou very much for your help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maryyg)
    Thought as much! Thankyou very much for your help.
    No problem good luck

ReputationRep:
    My grades are:
    Biology - A
    Maths - B
    Applied science - D*D*
    As chemistry - C

do u think ill have a chance to transfer to medicine and how is the chemistry in foundation year, is it really hard??
    id appreciate if someone commented back

ReputationRep:
    My grades are:
    Biology - A
    Maths - B
    Applied science - D*D*
    As chemistry - C

do u think ill have a chance to transfer to medicine and how is the chemistry in foundation year, is it really hard??
    id appreciate if someone commented back
    Hey. You will be fine. Chemistry is hard but a lot of people won't have done chemistry so you will be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by badhand45)
    Hey. You will be fine. Chemistry is hard but a lot of people won't have done chemistry so you will be fine
    But has got all of the A-Level chemistry topics because i just did As

ReputationRep:
    But has got all of the A-Level chemistry topics because i just did As
    Its a mixture of AS and A2 but in relation to biology. Its helpful to have done A2 but you are taught everything

ReputationRep:
    Hey, im still in sixth form and i have got an offer in biomed in sheffield uni and foundtion clinical science
    Do you think its better to do biomedical science and then medicine after so 7 years total OR foundation clinic science and try to transfer so 6 years/ or 8 years if i dont get the transfer
    Whats the best option do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, im still in sixth form and i have got an offer in biomed in sheffield uni and foundtion clinical science
    Do you think its better to do biomedical science and then medicine after so 7 years total OR foundation clinic science and try to transfer so 6 years/ or 8 years if i dont get the transfer
    Whats the best option do you think?
    Hey I had an offer for biomed at Sheffield too. Its all about preference. I believe Sheffield offer a transfer to Leeds after year 1 but it is almost impossible to get. Biomed is lab based so if you enjoy labs thats great. Clinical science offers 2 transfer routes and foundation year and year 1 has 20 places. You do have a higher chance of transferring and doing it faster. Also you do study sone clinical aspects which may be helpful if you decide to do GEM. However if you pick biomed and don't transfer in year 1 just be aware that GEM is harder to get into and you actually have to pay sone of your tuition fees out of your own money and with the way government is going it will likely he even more. However if you will enjoy it better go for it. Its a matter of preference but generally you have a higher chance of transferring at Bradford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by badhand45)
    Hey I had an offer for biomed at Sheffield too. Its all about preference. I believe Sheffield offer a transfer to Leeds after year 1 but it is almost impossible to get. Biomed is lab based so if you enjoy labs thats great. Clinical science offers 2 transfer routes and foundation year and year 1 has 20 places. You do have a higher chance of transferring and doing it faster. Also you do study sone clinical aspects which may be helpful if you decide to do GEM. However if you pick biomed and don't transfer in year 1 just be aware that GEM is harder to get into and you actually have to pay sone of your tuition fees out of your own money and with the way government is going it will likely he even more. However if you will enjoy it better go for it. Its a matter of preference but generally you have a higher chance of transferring at Bradford.
    Okay thanks and do you know how many people are there in the foundatipn clinic science course?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.