Turn on thread page Beta

What to do? watch

    • Thread Starter

    Hello, I am in 6th year at the moment doing my highers as basically I screwed them up in 5th. I'v got some conditionals to Scottish university's which is great but... before a few years ago I lived in England and would love to move back and originally would have wanted to go to university there, nothing against the scotts just family etc, but I wouldn't get in anywhere in England with highers as they want advanced highers or A levels.

    Would I be able to transfer to first year of an English uni after first year at a Scottish uni?

    What 1 year courses could I do to help me get into a competitive university in England?

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    Cheerio x

    Have you considered taking a gap year after 6th year and doing some AHs in college then, so then you can apply for first year entry to any English university you want? This would still take you 4 years like you're proposing and would give you a lot more options. It seems pointless to go to a Scottish uni for a year with the objective of transferring at the end of the year as this would be an extra year of living costs/student loans etc. You'd need to be reapplying basically as soon as you'd started university, which is hardly helpful in terms of settling in and having a good year.
Cats or dogs?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.