Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I will die by suicide at some point in my life. watch

Announcements

(Original post by Profesh)
    And besides, there's always this:

http://article.wn.com/view/2011/01/2...or_depression/
    An interesting insight, I seen that covered in one of Michio Kaku's documentaries. There was a switch that would reduce the woman to tears (or a generally depressed mood) and when switched the other way, it would make her energetic/happy/laugh.

ReputationRep:
    Actually I think forcing someone to keep on living when they really don't want to is pretty selfish.

ReputationRep:
    I feel the same way too a lot of the time. I go in and out of depression modes like I change clothes. A few years ago it lasted for so long I actually almost did. The only thing that stopped me was that i didnt want my little sister to walk in and find me, so I took the noose off my neck. i think about it all the time but when a friend of mine was strongly convinced that she was going to kill herself I thought it was the stupidest thing in the world. she is only 15 and has her whole life ahead of her to get better. It makes me a hypocrite but this is the part of myself that i really hate. I get depressed for no reason or for something really stupid and succumb to it, then i'll go and slice my arm open to feel something and I just didnt want my amazing friend to be reduced to something like me. i act eccentric all the time and people think Im nuts. I have wierd mood swings. one minute Ill be laughing and the next ill be crying. 20 minutes later Im screaming in my best friend's face. The other day, I almost threw myself out a window at school and dont remember it. not getting up or my friend yanking me down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blah-blah)
    I feel the same way too a lot of the time. I go in and out of depression modes like I change clothes. A few years ago it lasted for so long I actually almost did. The only thing that stopped me was that i didnt want my little sister to walk in and find me, so I took the noose off my neck. i think about it all the time but when a friend of mine was strongly convinced that she was going to kill herself I thought it was the stupidest thing in the world. she is only 15 and has her whole life ahead of her to get better. It makes me a hypocrite but this is the part of myself that i really hate. I get depressed for no reason or for something really stupid and succumb to it, then i'll go and slice my arm open to feel something and I just didnt want my amazing friend to be reduced to something like me. i act eccentric all the time and people think Im nuts. I have wierd mood swings. one minute Ill be laughing and the next ill be crying. 20 minutes later Im screaming in my best friend's face. The other day, I almost threw myself out a window at school and dont remember it. not getting up or my friend yanking me down.
    :hugs: Go see a doctor. I'm not saying you're crazy or anything, but it's not right to be so depressed, and there are things you can do to stop it. The mood swings might be a sign that something's wrong, or they might just be a part of your personality that you'll just have to deal with. But either way, it's best to know. You say you don't want your amazing friend to end up like you, but for all you know she's thinking the same about you. Talk to someone.

ReputationRep:
    I take it you disagree with euthanasia, then?
    You're not killing yourself out of pure logic then and in some cases saving your family pain.

And no, moping around depressed isn't causing your family 'pain' and nor are you in it. Relative to dying from a terminal illness. And if you have a different opinion don't even bother replying.

EMZ.

I just deal with it I'm depressed a fair amount of the time and have debated killing myself a few times but I am too stubborn to actually do it I just see it as the cheap way out. Same goes with uni I like the course but my group makes my life hell none of them seeming to understand I'm depressed. But I'm too stubborn once again to drop out it would be like giving up or losing to them. Though this with major trust issue's thanks to people people betraying it and the fact I can always for some reason can see straight through the acts people put on everyday just to hide themselves means I just can't trust them has led to a large bottling up effect on me. Have a bad feeling this is really cutting into my sanity quiet a bit but meh what can you do I'll just go insane and turn into an alcoholic to stop my head exploding I'm not letting life beat me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emor)
    You're not killing yourself out of pure logic then and in some cases saving your family pain.
    The purpose of euthanasia is pain-avoidance. Whether that pain stems from an affliction of the body or an affliction of the mind is of no account, since either sort can be chronic, pervasive, debilitating and incurable.

And no, moping around depressed isn't causing your family 'pain' and nor are you in it. Relative to dying from a terminal illness. And if you have a different opinion don't even bother replying.

EMZ.
    So presumably you take an equally dim view of someone who'd sooner self-euthanise than have to endure this?

ReputationRep:
    The purpose of euthanasia is pain-avoidance. Whether that pain stems from an affliction of the body or an affliction of the mind is of no account, since either sort can be chronic, pervasive, debilitating and incurable.
    Not for me.

So presumably you take an equally dim view of someone who'd sooner self-euthanise than have to endure this?
    Not the same thing. You're ridiculous if you think that being subject to that sort of paralysis in anyway equates to the quality of life someone with a chemical imbalance would be subjected to.

EMZ.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emor)
    Not the same thing. You're ridiculous if you think that being subject to that sort of paralysis in anyway equates to the quality of life someone with a chemical imbalance would be subjected to.

EMZ.
    It's interesting that you think paralysis and depression can't be compared. In actual fact depression, when in one of its most severe forms, can leave a person with so little will to live and interest in the world that they can't get out of bed, not even to go to the toilet. They are effectively paralysed. My source for this is a psychiatrist who was treating me in hospital for depression which wasn't far off this state. You clearly have very little understanding of the debilitating effect mental illness can have on people, so if you choose to reply to this I suggest you do some reading first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emor)
    Not for me.

EMZ.
    No: 'ridiculous' would be to trivialise clinical depression as "moping around", or to suppose that your fantastically bigoted opinion can actually debunk decades of clinical research.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    It's interesting that you think paralysis and depression can't be compared. In actual fact depression, when in one of its most severe forms, can leave a person with so little will to live and interest in the world that they can't get out of bed, not even to go to the toilet. They are effectively paralysed. My source for this is a psychiatrist who was treating me in hospital for depression which wasn't far off this state. You clearly have very little understanding of the debilitating effect mental illness can have on people, so if you choose to reply to this I suggest you do some reading first.
    I know about depression and I know that in some cases(very few) that it can get to the point where you can't bring yourself to do anything. But even then this is out of a hormonal imbalance that is treatable in many cases my psychiatric means. Don't assume knowledge for me.

What irritates me is how people who've been depressed in the past is they often feel their case is far more serious than anyone else's and that no one really understand the extent of the illness. I recognise depression as a serious illness(granted my, 'moping around depressed' comment doesn't really reflect greatly on such a statement), but the social consequences of someone killing themselves over depression, relative to that of a terminal illness or physiological paralysis, are disproportionate to the relief given to the person who killst them self.

EMZ.

ReputationRep:
    No: 'ridiculous' would be to trivialise clinical depression as "moping around", or to suppose that your fantastically bigoted opinion can actually debunk decades of clinical research.
    Give me one journal article that proves that the majority of depression cases result in effective paralysis for months, years even?

EMZ.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emor)
    I know about depression and I know that in some cases(very few) that it can get to the point where you can't bring yourself to do anything. But even then this is out of a hormonal imbalance that is treatable in many cases my psychiatric means. Don't assume knowledge for me.

What irritates me is how people who've been depressed in the past is they often feel their case is far more serious than anyone else's and that no one really understand the extent of the illness. I recognise depression as a serious illness(granted my, 'moping around depressed' comment doesn't really reflect greatly on such a statement), but the social consequences of someone killing themselves over depression, relative to that of a terminal illness or physiological paralysis, are disproportionate to the relief given to the person who killst them self.

EMZ.
    So basically what you're saying is that you know about depression, but choose to ignore said knowledge because you just like making stupid remarks? :confused: Frankly I thought the way you talked about depression was insulting to anyone who suffers from a serious mental illness. Some mentally ill people (and I'm very grateful I'm not one of them) have a quality of life just as low as a terminally or chronically ill person, and little prospect of relief from their suffering apart from through suicide.

As for your other remarks, who the hell are you to judge how much or how little someone else has suffered? Yes, you do get the odd person who for one reason or another likes to exaggerate how ill they've been, whether that illness was mental or physical, but you also get a great many people who are ashamed to even admit they suffer from a mental illness, partially due to people such as yourself, who make them think that their illness is somehow less valid than a physical one.

And again, what right do you have to say that a mentally ill person is suffering less than a physically ill one, and therefore should be forced to keep on living while others get to die and be at peace? (I should clarify by the way, I'm not advocating that people should kill themselves, especially when they have a chance at recovery, but I do understand why someone who's been severely mentally ill for a long time and who's found that treatment doesn't work would finally take that option)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emor)
    Give me one journal article that proves that the majority of depression cases result in effective paralysis for months, years even?

EMZ.
    :rofl: Have you ever thought about a career as a comedian?

ReputationRep:
    I cba with this back and forth and assuming I'm a bigot.

I've been forced to go to a therapist on numerous occasions and been said to be depressed(in addition to several other diagnoses that are irrelevant to this discussion) so don't start telling me that I'm unsympathetic. I don't want to get into this anecdotal bull**** though of I went through x, y and z and you only went through x and y; it's pathetic.

The sense of self-entitlement you posses is disgusting. It's like you're from some bloody pro-depression tribe. How do you have any medical authority through receiving a diagnosis thousands receive annually?

EMZ.

ReputationRep:
    'When you laugh, the whole world laughs with you... but when you cry you cry alone'
    So if your having a **** time, try to make the best of it and develop the positive side of things. We have to FIGHT for what we want because this life is a ***** at times. You have to live out your life no matter how hard it gets. Keep fighting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History-Student)
    There's no courage involved in suicide. It's your life to do with as you please, but don't dare kid yourself that this is some noble choice; quitting is quitting, whatever form it takes.

Better than nothing I suppose.
    Unless you're a deep ecologist :awesome: .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emor)
    I cba with this back and forth and assuming I'm a bigot.

I've been forced to go to a therapist on numerous occasions and been said to be depressed(in addition to several other diagnoses that are irrelevant to this discussion) so don't start telling me that I'm unsympathetic. I don't want to get into this anecdotal bull**** though of I went through x, y and z and you only went through x and y; it's pathetic.

The sense of self-entitlement you posses is disgusting. It's like you're from some bloody pro-depression tribe. How do you have any medical authority through receiving a diagnosis thousands receive annually?

EMZ.
    I take it this is directed at me (if not, excuse my narcissism). And I have to say, if you make bigoted remarks then yes, people will assume you are a bigot.

I don't care if you've been depressed or not, it clearly hasn't made you any more enlightened about the suffering of others.

Now you're just being plain stupid. Nobody on this thread has in any way, shape or form said anything that could be construed as 'pro-depression'. And I've never claimed to have any form of medical authority, I just base my opinions on my own experiences and the experiences of other mentally ill people who I know from real life and online. And if you think I've been wrong about something, feel free to point out whatever it is so we can have a nice civilised discussion about it.

It's been deeply entertaining talking to you, so thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    I take it this is directed at me (if not, excuse my narcissism). And I have to say, if you make bigoted remarks then yes, people will assume you are a bigot.

I don't care if you've been depressed or not, it clearly hasn't made you any more enlightened about the suffering of others.

Now you're just being plain stupid. Nobody on this thread has in any way, shape or form said anything that could be construed as 'pro-depression'. And I've never claimed to have any form of medical authority, I just base my opinions on my own experiences and the experiences of other mentally ill people who I know from real life and online. And if you think I've been wrong about something, feel free to point out whatever it is so we can have a nice civilised discussion about it.

It's been deeply entertaining talking to you, so thank you.
    Honestly, by this point I just think we fundamentally disagree on various issues, and that we have had different experiences with people who have depression.

I'm not going to deny that I'm biased and feel emotional about the issue.

I'm just gonna leave it here. My primary objection was to the spreading of the idea that suicide was/is permissible. Even if it is, there's nothing to gain from spreading such an idea. Everything else I said was for the most part out of frustration.

EMZ.

(Original post by Sabertooth)
    Isn't that the whole point of suicide? It's better to cease existing entirely than continue to live? That's the beauty of it, not only do you end the crappy existence but you never, ever have any chance of it happening again. You continue to live, even recovered from depression and that chance remains.

I realize you weren't arguing against just making a point, but I thought it'd be rude to leave you hanging.
    You responded to my post on page 4 a few days ago, and it was helpful, and I just went back to look at it again, and it's gone. Did you delete it?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.