Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I will die by suicide at some point in my life. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathperson)
    OK, firstly I just want to say this is not a thread that has been made because I've had a bad day, and is it not a simple rant.

I'm not clinically depressed at the moment, and so am not in receipt of any counselling or medication therapy.

However, as many people on TSR will be aware, I have experienced real, and severe, depression 1 year back (which I had for about 18 months - 2 years in total, but feelings of 'being down'/upset for probably 3 years to be realistic).

I just feel that at some point, maybe in the next six months, maybe in the next 10 years (though I must admit I don't think it will be that long at all) that I will die by suicide.

I'm not writing this thread because I expect someone to reply with a well rehersed answer, just because I feel as though I would like to express it.

Thanks.

Read the secret by Rhonda Byrne. Best self-help book (I know this won't entice you) ever.

You attract these feeling and thoughts into your life and only you have the power to change.

ReputationRep:
    OK, firstly I just want to say this is not a thread that has been made because I've had a bad day, and is it not a simple rant.

I'm not clinically depressed at the moment, and so am not in receipt of any counselling or medication therapy.

However, as many people on TSR will be aware, I have experienced real, and severe, depression 1 year back (which I had for about 18 months - 2 years in total, but feelings of 'being down'/upset for probably 3 years to be realistic).

I just feel that at some point, maybe in the next six months, maybe in the next 10 years (though I must admit I don't think it will be that long at all) that I will die by suicide.

I'm not writing this thread because I expect someone to reply with a well rehersed answer, just because I feel as though I would like to express it.

Thanks.
    Maybe you should go out and meet people then and get a life instead of pondering when you're gonna slit your wrists or whatever. When you know people who are suffering from cancer and people who have passed away after decades of being paralysed, you feel no bloody sympathy for attention seekers like you who make no attempt to resolve their problems and then just take the cowardly route because they can't be asked with life anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boobies.)
    "I will die by suicide at some point in my life"... - If you're planning to kill yourself, then you will die by suicide at the end of your life. Its not rocket science - It won't be 'some point in your life' because that implies that you are using your lifetime as a comparative timescale, and death inevitably comes at the end of it, whether you want it to or not.
    no, it simply means that I don't know when in my life that will be.

ReputationRep:
    no, it simply means that I don't know when in my life that will be.
    You don't know when in your life you will die?
    :facepalm2:

This is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inzamam99)
    Maybe you should go out and meet people then and get a life instead of pondering when you're gonna slit your wrists or whatever. When you know people who are suffering from cancer and people who have passed away after decades of being paralysed, you feel no bloody sympathy for attention seekers like you who make no attempt to resolve their problems and then just take the cowardly route because they can't be asked with life anymore.
    firstly, it is asses, not asked.

Secondly, the social difficulties associated with asperger's have been overcome, I do get out and meet people, and I suggest you get off your chair and do the same because that way you will see there is more to life than trolling, and you may even learn some manners.

ReputationRep:
    You don't know when in your life you will die?
    :facepalm2:

This is ridiculous.
    no, I simply don't know when the end of my life will be.

ReputationRep:
    no, I simply don't know when the end of my life will be.
    In your life was the key phrase there.
    Comparative timescale failure.

ReputationRep:
    In your life was the key phrase there.
    Comparative timescale failure.
    yes, I don't know when I will die, you are thinking it will be at the end of my life, which it clearly will be, but I was referring to when that point will be, which is the point of this thread.

Thanks.
    I feel the same way (and have been depressed for about the same length of time). It really depends on what happens in my life though. I have no intention of becoming old and incapable. I believe that what happens in my life is up to me, and if I **** it up then... :dontknow:

Having said that though, I only feel that way when I'm at a low point. Most of the time I have absolutely no intentions of suicide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    x
    Hi I'm confused by your ucas thing in your sig. You haven't got a firm according to that Sorry I know it is really nosy, just that you had rejections, and declined down, but no firm.

OP, I have felt similiar in the past, but I'm completely over it now. I feel my sort of phase like that was more to do with what was going on at the time, and my age as well. So, fair enough I haven't been in the same situation, but you never know what will happen in the future. Also, if counselling does help why not carry on with it? I know you said your not clinically depressed at this time, but you can still receive counselling. Seems like that is the answer.

ReputationRep:

Thanks.
    I was at where you are now. And you have to believe that your outlook on life can and will change. I look back now and think what I would have lost by taking my own life. Depression is something that may never go away, but you have to realise its a state of mind. It's not how you really feel, its a bunch of messed up chemicals in your head making you feel that way. Don't let that be an excuse to end it all. Finding a passion, a determination for something will help you. You just don't know when this is going to turn around, in a few months time, you could be the total reverse to what you are now. I'm one year out of the cycle. And I'm doing the best I have ever been.

I do feel a bit hippocritical saying to go and get help, as I didn't, but I know this does help a lot of people and makes a significant difference.

You were chosen against massive odds to be born in to this world. Focus yourself, and make a change happen.

ReputationRep:
    You must have something very psychologically wrong with you to say that your going to die by suicide at some point in your life, it's not normal to say something like that and you need to see a proffesional, you can work through any problems you have. It's a waste to just end it now or in the future, before it's actually your time to die, yes you will die in the future, but why does it have to be of your own accord, why don't you enjoy the time you have? if you were to commit suicide think about:

- Your family
    - Friends
    - Future opportunities

To say there is no point in life is stupid and to end it even earlier is even more stupid.

ReputationRep:
    I personally wouldn't commit suicide as I find solace in the fact that even if it's bad now, for all I know in the future I might end up with a great job, a wife, kids and a smile on my face.

ReputationRep:
    If it wasn't for the repercussions on family and friends then I expect most people would. I think you'll be incredibly selfish if you do - your family would never be able to forgive themselves for what happened and would spend the rest of their lives feeling guilty.

ReputationRep:
    Pondering on when you are going to die really is pretty pointless - it's probably going to happen at some point in the future, but after that it's just guesswork.

By the way, I stumbled on this thread by accident - I was searching for any information as to how colleges look on applicants who are also cancer sufferers. I have a primary brain tumour that is malignant and am looking to apply to get on an MSc in Cancer Studies course.

AJ.

ReputationRep:
    I will die by suicide at some point in my life.

Thanks.
    Probably the end

ReputationRep:
    I'll probably die of suicide very soon to be perfectly honest

can you give me a bit of advice please mate

ReputationRep:

Thanks.
    I don't want to give any reply that might suggest patronisation, overt sympathy to somebody who I am not going to be 'real' friend in the real world (I would feel inferior on the maths side for a start- I found it tough after GCSE level). Just like that, I am inclined to include some flattery and admit so because you need to know your own strengths for your own self preservation and I don't know you but I certainly don't want you to suffer in life AND I don't want you to end your life.

Even though I would not want anyone to actually make the conclusion BECOME true, your post was matter of fact, reasoned and logical. Unfortunately, many people kind of aren't. You need to look at creating separate arguments as well that will have a more beneficial outlook for you, whether in a simplistic pleasurable sense or a longer lasting sense.

Life is complex, internally and externally and, frankly, most 'health care professionals' do not have the imagination or intellect to fully realise this. They seek to treat a tortured or 'merely' complex mind in the same way as a broken leg- in as easy a way as possible.
    Furthermore, they would rather that the 'patient', a patronising term when depression is, I would say, a NATURAL consequence of life's hardships, questions and complexities, provides their OWN solution or is given some incredibly simplistic solution. But unless people want to treat humans like no more than animals, the mind does not have easy solutions!

All that said, I would now ask you to consider some simple questions though. Other natural complexities can be worked out at your leisure.

Are you studying? Working? Both? Are you happy with the people and your environment? Should you be happy or are there other things that you or other people expect or hope to see from you that you are not achieiving?

How close are you to your family? How often do you see them? Friends? Romantic relationships? Clubs? Political / philosophical persuasion?

The old cliche but- has anything happened in your past, either through no fault of your own or through your own fault, that would have caused you unhappiness - or have you caused other people unhappiness and this, in turn, is now causing you unhappiness, perhaps as a chain of events?

Do you think in different ways than most other people? Is this causing barriers with other people? Would you rather act like other people or seek more people who are on your wavelength? Basically, what is your personality like? And what interests/ skills do you have? How do you fit in with people- what would make them like you ro dislike you and what would make you like or dislike someone else? What is your background, working class, middle class, upper class? Has that ever been a bonus/ burden? Are you and other people happy with how you look?

All that I can say about some other replies on here is that that is life. They are not kind, they are not clever, they are not even useful. They are selfish and, in their selfishness, they see you as selfish. Perhaps the majority of people in the world do not care about anyone else- and that is INCLUDING some/many of those employed in 'caring' jobs.

I hope that you enjoy coming up with complementary arguments so that you can kind of get rid of the old arguments, as interesting an intellectual exercise as they may be, as not being of a good benefit to you- or the people who like and care about you.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.