Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

are we brain washed trend slaves? watch

ReputationRep:
    do you follow fashion trends? if not, why not and how would you describe your style? sometimes i see a gorgeous top or shoes etc and will analyse in my head on whether or not its on trend enough. do you do the same. are we slaves to trends?:confused::confused:

ReputationRep:
    If I see something I like I will buy it, I don't give a fig if it is trendy or not.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    whatever happens to be in the charity shop

ReputationRep:
    Everyone follows trends. What is in the shops is dictated by what someone else considers 'fashionable'. I like to keep an eye on fashion, but I don't buy things I don't like. I just like to be well-dressed. I think you can follow fashion and still have your own style. Fashion's actually quite varied.

ReputationRep:
    If I like something I buy it whether its in fashion or not. Its all about confidence with pulling it off. If something is in fashion that doesnt suit me or I dont like, I dont wear it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clarrissa)
    do you follow fashion trends? if not, why not and how would you describe your style? sometimes i see a gorgeous top or shoes etc and will analyse in my head on whether or not its on trend enough. do you do the same. are we slaves to trends?:confused::confused:
    You have just opened a new window in my life. I never thought people actually buy things considering to trends :/ I may be missing something here.
    I just buy whatever I like and I feel is quality and at convinient price. I thought people grew out of the trend thing after the age of 12. It may just be me, darn I am such an old fashioned person.

But then again every shop you go to tries to have cloths that is on trend so it doesnt really matter. Or does it?

ReputationRep:
    See the thread on high waist shorts for what I think re: retarded/faddish/'handed down' fashion 'developments' :rolleyes:

YES many are brain-washed trend-monkies

ReputationRep:
    Sort of, we've go in to a habit of respecting trends and applying stereotypes to those who obey them.... generally people wear certain trends for the benefit of what others think of them!

ReputationRep:
    I follow trends quite heavily but with my own style mixed in. I know trends and study them, I don't really analyse if something is on trend or not because well I just know. Sometimes I seek out stuff that is on trend but will be 'my own take' of the trend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeanK22)
    I follow one style: Carl Barat
    ??

ReputationRep:
    I certainly do not follow fashion trends, however i do shop in shops where they mainly only sell fashionable things. So basically i follow trends by default or indirectly.

Although admitedly i only buy the stuff that i personally like and the stuff i like seems to be in fashion (usually). So maybe people on the most part don't slavishly follow fashion, maybe fashion follows them.

ReputationRep:
    I think what most (if not all) girls subscribe to really is the society's standard or ideal beauty, that's why it doesn't matter what the trend is, we will follow whatever we think or know is the norm, defined as 'beautiful' or 'sexy'. so in this sense, we are trapped and enslaved.

ReputationRep:
    All fashion trends are stupid.

Remember when all that nu-rave day glo stuff was in in 2007? When H&M started selling luminous pink tutus and comic-book boxers? Stupid.
    Remember that "Underwear as outerwear" thing? Stupid.
    Remember when everyone walked around the city in pyjama bottoms and ugg boots and 'just rolled out of bed' hair? Stupid.
    Remember when it became cool to wear tights instead of trousers in 2010? Stupid.

Edit: Just imagining what the people who have negged this are wearing.....

ReputationRep:
    No. No one takes you into shops at gunpoint and forces you to buy anything you don't want.
    Grow a backbone and everything is fine.

ReputationRep:
    I go for the more classic versions of fashions, so they still look fine after the fashions pass by. I avoid any clothing that's overly faddy (e.g. those tshirts with scarves attached or with those huge collars) since it's pretty obvious when that fashion passes anyone wearing one will look ridiculous (well, more so than they do already). My oldest tshirt is over 18 years old, so it's fair to say I'm against disposable fashion.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno, but the phrase 'on trend' makes me cringe so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    All fashion trends are stupid.

Remember when all that nu-rave day glo stuff was in in 2007? When H&M started selling luminous pink tutus and comic-book boxers? Stupid.
    Remember that "Underwear as outerwear" thing? Stupid.
    Remember when everyone walked around the city in pyjama bottoms and ugg boots and 'just rolled out of bed' hair? Stupid.
    Remember when it became cool to wear tights instead of trousers in 2010? Stupid.
    I remember all of those, I am reminded of them almost daily.

ReputationRep:
    ??
    http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...w=1920&bih=971

ReputationRep:
    I buy what I like and what I think suits me. I am definitely influenced by trends as I read a lot of fashion blogs and subscribe to a couple of fashion mags, but I won't buy something purely because it's 'on trend'. I love to experiment with what I wear & try new things. In the past year or so I've finally, at the ripe old age of 22, gotten the confidence to wear what I was to wear, and let everyone who doesn't think I look fabulous go to hell. Feels great xx

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2011
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.