Turn on thread page Beta

are we brain washed trend slaves? watch

ReputationRep:
    It's sad that girls are never happy seeing themselves naked in front of a mirror and have to mask themselves constantly with dozens of clothes hiding every inch of their body and then call it being 'fashionable'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dekota-XS)
    It's sad that girls are never happy seeing themselves naked in front of a mirror and have to mask themselves constantly with dozens of clothes hiding every inch of their body and then call it being 'fashionable'.
    Do you not think this might be a massive generalisation? Are men who wear clothes 'masking themselves with dozens of clothes hiding every inch of their body'?xx

ReputationRep:
    omg we're so not! Hold on I just got a BBM message... ah damn, I just spilt my starbucks coffee on my Jack Wills hoody, totes ruined now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    All fashion trends are stupid.

Remember when all that nu-rave day glo stuff was in in 2007? When H&M started selling luminous pink tutus and comic-book boxers? Stupid.
    Remember that "Underwear as outerwear" thing? Stupid.
    Remember when everyone walked around the city in pyjama bottoms and ugg boots and 'just rolled out of bed' hair? Stupid.
    Remember when it became cool to wear tights instead of trousers in 2010? Stupid.
    Could not agree more!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeanK22)
    I follow one style: Carl Barat
    I have always loved Carl Barat, about a million times better than Doherty and then some.

Aside, in relation to the thread...
    I wear what I like and what suits my body shape.
    For example if I was to have followed Autumn 2010, I would have been wearing an aviator jacket which would have made me look like a butch lesbian.
    If I was following Spring 2011, I'd be dressed like a 1920s housewife...
    No thankyou.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I set my own trend... Clingfilm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinball_heart)
    I have always loved Carl Barat, about a million times better than Doherty and then some.

Aside, in relation to the thread...
    I wear what I like and what suits my body shape.
    For example if I was to have followed Autumn 2010, I would have been wearing an aviator jacket which would have made me look like a butch lesbian.
    If I was following Spring 2011, I'd be dressed like a 1920s housewife...
    No thankyou.
    :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    No. I don't care about trends, I just buy whatever I think looks nice.

ReputationRep:
    I despise the idea of following fashion trends. But then again, I'm intelligent.

ReputationRep:
    I always wear Jordan clothing, it used to he because... well he is Michael Jordan and I wanted to be cool, but now it is because I love the colors and design of the clothing; super comfortable and I have never seen anything like it.

However ill wear anything that I like,regardless of whether it is popular or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    I go for the more classic versions of fashions, so they still look fine after the fashions pass by. I avoid any clothing that's overly faddy (e.g. those tshirts with scarves attached or with those huge collars) since it's pretty obvious when that fashion passes anyone wearing one will look ridiculous (well, more so than they do already). My oldest tshirt is over 18 years old, so it's fair to say I'm against disposable fashion.
    This. I believe the term is "classic style". Although sometimes I do like to dress like it's 1950...

ReputationRep:
    Not really. I only shop in vintage places and ebay (NOT because I'm that pretentious, you just find weirder stuff, and the staff and lighting in chain shops intimidate me), and there aren't many that are full of on trend things. Or maybe there are, I don't honestly know what's in, although I would guess military wear and floral? It always seems to be that.

I prefer dressing more exaggeratedly anyway, floor-length petticoats or head to toe bright yellow, or so many layers and clashing prints etc. Shy tourists like taking pictures and old ladies go 'you look gorgeous dear!' and drunk men in tube stations shout 'It looks like a freak! Turn round, you look ******* horrible!' so it's all good fun anyway

ReputationRep:
    Definitely. It annoys me that people don't have a problem with walking around and passing about 100 people in a day wearing the same things as them.
    Thogh I'm probably just as bad as the people I hate because I deliberately won't buy something if I think it's too popular

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ormaybeitsjustnarcissism)
    Not really. I only shop in vintage places and ebay (NOT because I'm that pretentious, you just find weirder stuff, and the staff and lighting in chain shops intimidate me), and there aren't many that are full of on trend things. Or maybe there are, I don't honestly know what's in, although I would guess military wear and floral? It always seems to be that.

I prefer dressing more exaggeratedly anyway, floor-length petticoats or head to toe bright yellow, or so many layers and clashing prints etc. Shy tourists like taking pictures and old ladies go 'you look gorgeous dear!' and drunk men in tube stations shout 'It looks like a freak! Turn round, you look ******* horrible!' so it's all good fun anyway
    I always see your posts about how you dress, would love to see some pictures sounds lovely and quirky.
    Floor length petticoats are such a dream and you sound a bit 'Catherine Baba' in terms of dress, maybe you aren't but still.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clo-clo1)
    I always see your posts about how you dress, would love to see some pictures sounds lovely and quirky.
    Floor length petticoats are such a dream and you sound a bit 'Catherine Baba' in terms of dress, maybe you aren't but still.
    Aww thanks, that's a lovely thing to say I could try and find some pictures if you wanted then.
    Yeahhh it's so much fun to wear, although a nightmare to go up stairs in! I wore it to uni once for a laugh on the day we had a lecture about 18th century prostitutes, thought I'd get into the mood a bit haha.

Hadn't actually ever heard of her (for shame!) but I love the google results Definitely have to look into her more.

ReputationRep:
    I just wear clothes that are comfy and not pink/yellow.
    That's it for me.

ReputationRep:
    I buy what I like the look of. I think I started doubting the people who dictate fashions when I was way younger and everyone was wearing poncho's. I had a few, but I just didn't really like the things that were "fashionable". And now everyone's wearing those weird baggy strange-patterned trousers and I think "I would not wear that." Same when half the girls in my school were wearing stuff that looked like my grandmothers would wear it. Not my style. I'm seriously into 50's dresses, so I'd buy way more of them if I have the money. Since I don't at the moment I just stick to jeans and t-shirts. So no, I wouldn't call myself a slave to fashion, because some of the fashions are totally not me. I'd totally go for the whole "hippy" style if all those clothes weren't madly expensive and they're always too big for me, and not in a flattering way. But people can wear what they want. I went through a phase at the start of secondary school where I was a total snob and I was like "Oh, is that fashionable? NO! I don't want it! I reject all normality!" but now I don't care, if it's fashionable and I like it, I'll wear it. If it's totally "out" but I like it, I'll wear it. Waterfall cardigans ftw (I have four in different colours :lol:)

Same with hairstyles, I go with what I like. I've wanted red hair for years, so this Easter it's going ginger. :lol: Going to be interesting, but it's worth a shot at any rate.

ReputationRep:
    I do not follow any trends. I am who I am. I dress how I feel and buy clothes that I like, not because they are trendy.

ReputationRep:
    um,I wear what I like and what suits me.I dont like any of the trends that are in now or have been in the last few years,(except skinny jeans but not distressed bleached etc..block colour or black.)

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.