Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Making an official complaint about someone you like: would you do it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Imagine you know that a waiter you are friends with has been going to the toilet at work without washing his hands*; if you genuinely felt it was in the best interest of the wider population, would you make an official complaint about him, and why or why not?

Presume that suggesting to him, as a friend, that he should wash his hands didn't work, so complaining isn't your first idea.

Completely fictional situation. Well, there are waiters that don't wash their hands and I daresay they have friends, but this isn't a 'hypothetical' that is in fact real for me.

ReputationRep:
    That's just stupid. Just talk to him/her personally as they're your friend, why blow a situation out of proportion?

ReputationRep:
    I think you should, with a job like that I would say it's always good practice to wash your hands in the toilets and then wash them again when you are back at the bar - a) in case anyone else hadn't washed their hands and germs were on the toiletdoor ect but also so that the customers can see you are washing your hands

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure the response to the official complaint would be 'Why are you following your friend to watch him use the bathroom?'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    That's just stupid. Just talk to him/her personally as they're your friend, why blow a situation out of proportion?
    So the bit where I said talking to him didn't work was what, just ignored by you?

ReputationRep:
    Dont complain about him, just tell him you know someone is going to complain if he doesnt wash his hands, tell him personally as a friend ,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ventura7)
    Dont complain about him, just tell him you know someone is going to complain if he doesnt wash his hands, tell him personally as a friend ,
    Do people just read the first paragraph and assume the rest of it is unimportant?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Liam-)
    I'm pretty sure the response to the official complaint would be 'Why are you following your friend to watch him use the bathroom?'
    Maybe he bragged about it to you in private?

ReputationRep:
    Chop off his hands. Problem solved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    So the bit where I said talking to him didn't work was what, just ignored by you?
    My bad. Why do you know he doesn't wash his hands? :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Chop off his hands. Problem solved.
    Meanwhile Rebecca Black would contemplate on which hand to chop off...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    My bad. Why do you know he doesn't wash his hands? :/
    Fair enough. Sorry I was a bit very sharp.

Someone pointed out it would be strange to follow him into the bathroom, so assume he bragged about getting away with it on multiple occasions.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    hmm i probably would complain to the manager but wont say its him specifically. will just go 'someone dont wash their hands' or whatever and let the manager sort it out. other waiters might not wash their hands either so it might be good if the manager just have a word with all of them. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I see chefs smoking outside restaurants. I hope they wash their hands too.

ReputationRep:
    Naw, you've got nothing to evidence the allegation and would be marked as an arse-licker by your bosses and a traitor by your peers. I daresay you'd lose a friend too. Lose-Lose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Celtic_Anthony)
    Naw, you've got nothing to evidence the allegation and would be marked as an arse-licker by your bosses and a traitor by your peers. I daresay you'd lose a friend too. Lose-Lose.
    'You' don't work there, you're a customer.

ReputationRep:
    'You' don't work there, you're a customer.
    You just lose a friend then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Celtic_Anthony)
    You just lose a friend then.
    But gain peace of mine - a fair trade, perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    But gain peace of mine - a fair trade, perhaps?
    You still don't have any evidence. You don't gain anything, except maybe a sense of righteousness.

ReputationRep:
    Not washing hands is hardly a serious threat to the wider population.

If it was a serious threat I'd say "you either need to stop or I'll have to report it"

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.