Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does everyone think I’d be insane to do a history masters part-time, just to prolong the ecstasy, while working part-time to earn some money to live off?

I’m looking forward to whatever the future holds afterwards, but I keep thinking that if I do it full-time then the year will whizz by way too fast, plus I’ll have spent all my savings in one go (and then wouldn’t be able to fund a Phd for instance – yeah right, in my dreams!).

I have no ties/dependents, but I would have to move house.

Thanks for your thoughts.

ReputationRep:
    much obliged mate

ReputationRep:
    I've known a few people from my year who are doing their MA part-time and it seemed to work well for them. One thing to think about would be possible complications of trying to fit your work schedule around when you had to go into uni for course stuff. That'd be something to look into while you're researching courses.

Personally I think that I wouldn't do it part-time if I didn't definitely have a job lined-up. Wouldn't want to rely on expecting to find employment. Seems like it might be easier to finish off the degree and then be able to work full-time afterwards to pay off a loan.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks ktr, that was very useful. After thinking over what you said I’ve pretty much decided to wait till next year, rather than rush an application through now, then save like hell in the meantime and go full-time. And in theory that’ll give me time to look for some funding, though I’m not holding my breath. Other benefits of going full-time seem to be a student railcard and no council tax (worth it then just for that!). I can worry about funding a Phd nearer the time (I may turn out to be too thick anyway).
    If that plan goes t*ts up, or they raise the fees threefold as well, then going part-time can be the backup plan (actually I won’t be going at all if they do raise the fees that much).
    Good, it’s nice when the fog clears. Thanks again!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.