Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I didn't say anything about my sister already being at Oxford. That would have come across as rather desperate and crass.

That said she was at a different college and did a completely different subject. Even if it had been the same college or course though, I wouldn't have mentioned it :nah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)

Aye.. so by the same virtue there is some milage in explaining why you think the course would appear congruent with your qualities/expectations
    You seem to have forgotten that the applicant is likely to be applying for five courses. You shouldn't be writing about courses in a PS; you should be writing about yourself and subjects, and admissions tutors don't need to be told by candidates about the subject they are teaching - they already know quite enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    You seem to have forgotten that the applicant is likely to be applying for five courses
    Aye, the lass I quoted before pointed that out. You can't really tailor a multiple institution application to an individual course/department tis true!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Heh, by that logic the PS could be blank as by the same virtue they can also take it as given that you think you're good enough for their institution.. :rolleyes:
    No, that doesn't work. A lot of people apply to courses they haven't got the grades (or other stuff) for, just because they like the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    No, that doesn't work. A lot of people apply to courses they haven't got the grades (or other stuff) for, just because they like the course
    A logical equivalent/similarity may be drawn again, an applicant may find, as it transpires, that a course program/department is distinctly lacking/falls short of expectations

I totally neglected the fact that the app was probably to more than one institution though, which necessitates a more 'general' pitch, in which case my original take on the OP's idea is moot
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    A logical equivalent/similarity may be drawn again, an applicant may find, as it transpires, that a course program/department is distinctly lacking/falls short of expectations

I totally neglected the fact that the app was probably to more than one institution though, which necessitates a more 'general' pitch, in which case my original take on the OP's idea is moot
    No, that is neither logical, equivalent nor similar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    No, that is neither logical, equivalent nor similar.
    Pretty sure it's fair to say that whilst the institution may not know much/enough about the student and/or need some extra convincing in the case of low or threshold grades, by the same virtue the student may not know whether the institution/department/course are a good match for them either - to my mind a personal statement for a specific institution does need to attempt to address bi-directional 'suitability', certainly worked for me

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure it's fair to say that whilst the institution may not know much/enough about the student and/or need some extra convincing in the case of low or threshold grades, by the same virtue the student may not know whether the institution/department/course are a good match for them either - to my mind a personal statement for a specific institution does need to attempt to address bi-directional 'suitability', certainly worked for me
    You really are missing the point of the PS. It is not a two-way medium; it only sells the applicant. How can the applicant write something that persuades himself of the suitability of the course for him? Choosing the right course is something that should be done before applying.

ReputationRep:
    You really are missing the point of the PS. It is not a two-way medium; it only sells the applicant
    I think you may have 'missed the point' in what I've been saying. Bi-directional doesn't mean two way communication, it means, in this context, describing why you believe you are a suitable candidate, in terms of your own qualities but also with reference to your perception of the course, at the department/institution in question - this adds an additional facet to the student's pitch (again with the proviso that it's a single institution pitch)

How can the applicant write something that persuades himself of the suitability of the course for him
    Not about persuading himself in the course of the PS, more about demonstrating some consideration of the (subjective) merit of reading the subject at the institution in question

ReputationRep:
    Bi-directional doesn't mean two way communication,
    Of course not. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Of course not. :rolleyes:
    bi-direction can relate to a relationship e.g. 'bi-directional suitability' in this case means: (the correlation between) student/institution and institution/student worthiness, as interpreted and expressed by the student applicant in this case..

ReputationRep:
    DDD Unfortunately and thank god no

(Original post by QI Elf)
    On a sperate note, I sincerely hope that that is not you in the video in your sig.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.